GO!

What is this bump?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Sophie, SD

Mommy is- thankful for ME!

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 10:51am PST 
Saturday night we found a bump on Sophie's back. It's right on her back bone, just below her shoulder blades. It's pea sized, hard, and unattached (moved with the skin).

We have a vet appt Wed (the soonest we could get in), but if anyone has any thoughts...this freaked our momma would appreciate it!
[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 2:02pm PST 
Impossible to know as this could describe many things. The only way to know for sure is to have a biopsy done or if it is large enough, a fine needle aspirate.

Sorry I'm not any help, but not even a vet can tell what a lump is just by looking at it, so no one here will be able to tell by reading a description. It could be anything from a harmless cyst to a mast cell tumor but finding lumps early and getting them checked right away is always the best. Try not to worry too much (I know, easier sais than done).

Edited by author Mon Oct 1, '12 2:04pm PST

[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 2:34pm PST 
Has she been vaccinated lately?
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 2:37pm PST 
Does she have a microchip??? Several of my poodles have palpable "lumps" where their microchip is. It is about the size of a pea but is a bit more oval shaped. The microchip, if it isn't inserted deeply into the muscle, WILL move some and is more round and "lumplike" due to scar tissue attaching to the little barbs on the chip.
Perfectly normal and not terribly uncommon.
[notify]
Sophie, SD

Mommy is- thankful for ME!

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 4:53pm PST 
She was vaccinated in June but bc she is a Great Pyr it is highly possible that she developed it then and we never noticed it. It was by "luck" we found it this time. We were able to move the vet appt up to tomorrow morning at 7am. As hard as it is, I know this momma needs to chill.

I have done a lot of research on Mast Cell Tumors bc everytime something shows up on one of my babies, I'm scared to death that's what it is. While I know it's not a definite guide line, all the reading says it happens most often in dogs 8-10 yrs old. She is 4. Grasping at straws to stay calm until I see the vet, maybe, but that does make me feel better.

Oh, she does has a microchip. She did develop a huge lump after a puppy vaccination 4 years ago. I thought that, maybe, it didn't go away completely and this was what was left of it. One thing I do wish is that it just wasn't there.
[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 6:27pm PST 
My thought is a vaccine reaction. The vet will know for sure though. Radley had the same kind of bump after a rabies vac, had it removed, and everything was fine.
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 7:28pm PST 
If you're still following this, I'd be interested to know what the vet said, or what was done.

No, you can't tell what it is just from looking. There are tons of things it could be.
[notify]