GO!

Losing it.

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 8:05am PST 
I must be losing it. I somehow ended up with four dogs and I had sworn that I would not get another one for many years...after they are all gone.

But lately...I have been thinking...Would Five Hurt?

At what point do you know you have to stop? Am I in danger of becoming a crazy dog lady? My four are all well cared for and happy.

I guess I would wait until I retire in about 2 years, because I could use more time...but tell me your stories of how you decided one more was a good idea...
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 8:20am PST 
I suppose the limit would be when you stop being able to care for them appropriately. If they are groomed, fed and exercised enough and you are able to afford proper medical care for them, then go for it. When the dogs start to suffer in any way, then I would say that you are past your limit. My limit is three. The only reason I had three, was because Jax was aging and I wanted her to train another dog. So thats why we got Koby. Jax has since passed so, I'm back to two, which I'm quite happy with. Once Kali starts showing signs of getting old, I will get a third dog again.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 8:25am PST 
I admit to a brief tough spot when we brought Cookie home. She was an abuse case and had some trouble adapting her and Dubs didn't like her. If I do adopt again, I am going to take great care that new dog is compatible.

I have three girls and only one male...the very mellow Samoa. I think another male would be the best idea.
[notify]

Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 12:21pm PST 
I'd say if you have the means to provide for them and they're not suffering in any way, then have as many as you want. However, considering the problems you had with Cooky, I'd be a bit weary of adding a 5th in your particular case. I do agree that if you were to add a 5th, another male would probably be your best choice. smile
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 12:31pm PST 
I'd have to take that into consideration...It was a weird mix between Dubs and Cookie. I think they are over it for the most part, but will make sure any added dog is a good fit.

I actually think Dubs had problems with a dog she could see eye to eye. She does much better with big dogs.
[notify]
Ellie

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 12:52pm PST 
You might try fostering a dog first and see how that works out.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 1:01pm PST 
I was thinking I could take the trouble to introduce them one at a time to the likely new member. They drop the pack attitude when presented one on one. Dubs can be a grouch, but often gets along fine with bigger dogs. Cookie is a little hyper, but I don't see her starting issues unless the dog is too aggressive with her.

And Savvy and Samoa just don't care.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 1:33pm PST 
It's all about your personal limit. I know through petsitting my emotional limit is 6. After that, I start feeling cramped and stressed about how much I have to do. But right now, based on money and living situation, 2 is more than enough.

Doing some fostering first isn't a bad idea, but you'll likely never reach that settled point that you do with dogs of your own. Fostering in a multi-dog household can be extremely stressful, depending on your personal dogs and the physical and mental condition of the dogs you'll be fostering.

I'm a big fan of one-on-one intros, UNLESS you have a dog you know is going to be a bully. In those situations, I have taken weeks to let the new dog bond with the friendly dogs, then introduced the bully to the group. You're less likely to have a problem if the rest of your pack is causually milling around like nothing in the world is wrong. Doubly so if you have stable, friendly dogs who will (appropriately!) stand up for the new dog.
[notify]
Dylan &- Grace& Bryce

trouble X 3

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 4:47pm PST 
after having 6 for a number of years,I decided 2 was all I wanted at one time. but, as you know, I have 3 now.
and with Dylans issuses, its been easy to stay at 3.

6 was a bit crazy at times. and money got tight a time or 3, but it always seemed to work out

me and the hubby both like mac&cheese bol
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 6:44am PST 
I agree with the others, its all about how well you are able to care and keep up with your pets. My limit is 3 dogs and 3 cats. While sometimes it can be a little bit of work, I am able to care for them well. I made sure that I work at a vets office so I can get discounts on any testing or care they needed. Whenever I think of adding another dog, I think of all the money I put into my pet's diets and supplements and how well they do on them. If I had to feed another dog I would not be able to afford their raw diet or the plethora of supplements they need. Which then... they would suffer. So, that keeps me from adding to my bunch!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2