GO!

Any other dogs scared of storms

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dragon - Adopted

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 3:45pm PST 
I'm like Marley - from Marley and Me - I HATE storms, I whine and cry the entire storm AND I LIVE IN FLORIDA

Mommy found something at walmart to Calm Dogs - has chammomile and valerian and other herbs

but forgot the name. Would that work or do I need Doggie Prozac

Mommy and Daddy are worried if a Hurricane comes thu what I am gonna do
[notify]
Joey Diego - CGC, Therapy- Dog

Where did mom- go?

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 4:53pm PST 
buy a thundershirt. I used one for my dogs when we lived in Florida...it is awesome
[notify]
Dragon - Adopted

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 6:07pm PST 
are they easy to rip off? He eats everything in sight - sometimes he even tries to eat my wheelchair!
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 6:33pm PST 
Have you tried desensitizing him to the noise by rewarding him for being calm? How do you react? Do you always anticipate a negative reaction or are you afraid /nervous about storms yourself? I taught my pups from early up by rewarding for calm behavior even if reassuring them was necessary to get it,not reacting myself and treating storms as something totally normal,engaging them in other activities they enjoyed so that storms became a more positive thing rather than negative. I do understand that some dogs are very freaked out and this is not always possible but the thundershirt and a DAP diffuser on his/her collar along with the positive association may help considerably. My pups at worst will pick their heads up for a second if startled by thunder while sleeping and when told it's okay,go back to bed will,they do the same with fireworks. I had no choice but get them used to those noises and others living literally 2 blocks from a regional trauma center we have helicopters flying barely above the house,and ambulances that are easily heard all hours of the day and night,had we not desensitized them we would never sleep.wishes and Good Luck.
[notify]
Sita CGC- SD(mostly- retired)

When we seeing- the ponies?!

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 7:15pm PST 
Sita is not fond of wind storms. She doesn't mind lightening/thunder/rain/blizzards. She's weird. I use Rescue Remedy & add Mimmulus & Aspen (a few drops of each to the bottle of Rescue Remedy). Does your dog have a "den" to go to during the storms? This helps some dogs. Do you know what about the storm you dog doesn't like? Is it the sound? Or is it the electricity in the air? If it's electricity, it's impossible to recreate so that you can desensitize them, that's where Rescue Remedy, Thunder shirts or the DAP collars would probably be needed. If it's the noise, you can buy CDs with different noises that can help you desensitize your dog.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 7:19am PST 
I'm sorry I wasn't clear,I meant using positive reinforcers during the storm along with the thundershirt and DAP diffuser to retrain and desensitize him so that each time he becomes hopefully a little calmer,and more able to tolerate the storm.
[notify]
Boomer - In Heaven- 11-15-07

Where ever you- go I go ;}

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 7:12pm PST 
I lived in Central Florida for 18 years, Boomer was terrified of storms. Not good living in the lightening capital of North America! confused I used an Anxiety Wrap. When you first get it you do something fun, it's like associating the wrap with positive feelings. I used it on Boomer for years. We kept it in the same place. She would "feel" the storms coming and find one of us and nudge the wrap. Once on she would still pant, but be in more control of herself. She used to try to outrun thunder, the wrap was my Godsend. After she passed the Thundershirt came out. The wraps work off of pressure points on the body. They do help, but you must use them correctly. I had loads of people at the local dog park use them with most having success. The ones that didn't have any success never followed the instructions of associate the coats with positives. Good luck!way to go
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 2:42am PST 
One of my dogs is afraid of storms. The other kinda is, if I let her. The Shiba LOVES storms and goes out in them and runs around and plays, stands on stuff, etc...

If I am thinking about it, I'll get a toy and play with Juneau during the storm. Every time thunder rolls or the wind gets really loud, I will call her name in an excited tone then pitch the toy. She's a die-hard retriever so that works very well on getting her mind off the storms. I let her chew on the toy when she wants, but as soon as she shows any signs of anxiety I'll grab it and begin to play again. She is slowly getting more and more comfortable with storms, but we don't get them often enough for me to work on this very consistently.

As long as Juneau is not freaking out, Sasha won't either. So if I can keep Juneau's mind off the storm, Sasha will be fine.
[notify]
Hailie

Hey leave my- family ALONE!

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 1:12pm PST 
Hailie is not great with storms and will rip a crate apart during a storm no matter where in the house the crate is. She will also tear apart doors to get out of rooms. I have had to repair her crate several times to keep her crated during storms. I am going to have to invest in a thunder shirt to see if that will help her any.
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 1:56pm PST 
Pepper was a mess during thunderstorms.
Shaking, drooling, panting, clinging to one of her people.

We bought a thunder shirt (with its money back garantee, it's not a rip off). We read the directions carefully and tried it. Within three times wearing it, and the frequent storms, she did respond. She still doesn't like storms, but no longer is a wreck.

We had tried calming medicines and didn't get much result. All of the medications available over the counter had training recommendations to aide the dog in desensitizing them to the source of anxiety. Not easy if your dog shuts down due to stress.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2