GO!

How fast does cancer spread?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Harley &- Rubi

me, me, me it's- all about me!!

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 12:13pm PST 
Our loving dog Harley of 9 years old has bone cancer in her front left leg. We can not afford to have her leg amputated or the cemo. She has also had arthritis for the last 5 years. She is on meds for the pain, it seems to be helping a bit, she no longer cries. She is not using her leg anymore at this point. We found out about the cancer 2 weeks ago. I will not let her suffer frown
I did some research on the internet and it said that even with amputation and cemo there is a 50% chance of her living for 2 to 4 years. It also said that the cancer will spread into her chest.

My question is does anyone know how long will it take for the cancer to spread. The vet doesn't want to say, she just said that we can give her meds to make her comfy until her time comes. So Harley is on pain meds for a week at a time right now.

Harley can't go on her walks like she loves, so I have been pulling her in a wagon. She seems to really enjoy it smile
Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 12:28pm PST 
Cancer isn't just one disease - even among types. Even "bone cancer" isn't just one disease. And even when we know the type of cell, the specific sort of cancer affects individuals very differently. All a veterinarian can really do is give you an average time frame that dogs tend to live after being diagnosed with bone cancer in your dog's specific stage of progression - and even then, that number can be colored by different breed, size, etc.

The best thing you can do right now is just keep a close eye on her and continue to manage the pain. Pain drugs are a lot better than they used to be, and they may be able to extend your dog's life and give her a decent quality of life at that - not optimal, but certainly acceptable.
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 3:35pm PST 
Thank you Samson. Today is not a good day for her. We are taking it one day at a time. She usually becomes a little active at night. I know in my heart that she will let us know when it is time. For now she gets lots of rubs and scratches. She loves a good butt scratch LOL! Harley is a Bullmastiff/Rottie mix. She is usually a 90 pound dog 2 weeks ago she was 74 pounds. We will love and take care of her tell she tells us to let her go. I think it helps knowing that our other dog Hailey will be waiting for her on the other side. They were best friends. Hailey also had cancer frown Poor puppy dogs. I only hope that one day there will be a cure or a way to prevent cancer, not only for dogs but also for humans. Again, thank you.
[notify]

Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 6:02pm PST 
I'm sorry to hear about your pup. frown

I lost a dog to cancer many years ago. What started as a fatty tumor grew and grew until it was too late and was diagnosed as malignant and spreading throughout her body.

Our dog was 12. For awhile, the tumor didn't bother her. Then, it started growing rapidly, losing hair and became red and oozing. From the time of her diagnosis to the time we had to put her down was about 4 or 5 months. We gave her medications which helped the pain -- but we knew it was time when she stopped eating, seemed to "give up" and tried to run away. frown

I'll never forgive myself because it was the day I had started my first job and I couldn't miss it, and this dog had been there for me for my whole life - since I was 5 - I said my goodbyes and my father and brother took her into the vet and when I came home I asked if they stayed with her and if she went peacefully, and my father told me that the vet assistants just took our dog into the back room and then they left. They just dumped our dog off to be put to sleep - alone, by herself, without ANY of her family beside her.

I know it's a choice and I know it can be hard -- but please, please... please be there for your dog when the time comes. I think about this nightmare every day of my life and I've never forgiven myself or my family for it.

Edited by author Wed Sep 26, '12 6:09pm PST

[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 10:50pm PST 
I am so sorry to hear about your pup. It is so hard to let them go. Harley is 9 years old. Please do not beat yourself up about not being with your wonderful pup. Your pup would not want to to feel that way.

I had another dog Hailey that had cancer, we had to let her go 2 days after her 9th birthday. We stayed with her, she new it was time. She rolled over onto my husband and then rolled over to me winning. It broke our hearts. I still cry about it today because I miss her so much, it has been two years since we let her go. I know that Hailey will be there for Harley when her time comes. Hailey and Harley are best friends. We will be with Harley when she goes. Please just remember that your pup will always be with you in your heart.

I know that I couldn't be there for our dogs Inu and Kareem when it was there time and it was very hard. When I think of them I smile because they brought so much joy to our lives.

I have to ask, what in the world is Olive doing??? Way to cute and funny.
[notify]
Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 4:04am PST 
She is dancing. hamster dance

Nah - she is jumping to catch a stick. smile
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 11:27pm PST 
LOL! She is so cute. I wish our lab Rubi would be that active at chasing things. She only plays fetch when we go to the ocean and we throw the ball into the water.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 3:19pm PST 
Hi there...I don't know a whole lot but I do know that bone cancer can be aggressive and depending on where it is, it isn't treatable. i think in your case, amputation is the only real course of treatment. I'm sorry your family isn't able to afford treatment, but at least they are doing what they can to keep you as comfortable as possible. I'm sending you lots of PoP. I hope you have more good days too

hughughughughughughughughughughughughug
[notify]
Trixie

If I find it,- its mine

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 5:49pm PST 
I'm very sorry for what your family is going through right now. I lost my 13 year old American Eskimo Dog to cancer in August. Her organs were full of tumors, and we had found out in May of this year. The vet who did the ultrasound pretty much told me to euthanize right away, but I listened to my regular vet instead. Even full of tumors, my girl lived another three months with the help of several medications to make her more comfortable. In the beginning I thought she had maybe two weeks, but then the months passed. When it came time to put her down, I knew. She had stopped eating and just seemed distant. I was with her the entire time, and was able to say goodbye to her. After she was gone the vet told me they had not expected her to live more than a month, she surprised everyone.

I don't think you can ever know how long your dog has left, it depends on so many things. My girl was a fighter, and your dog sounds like one as well smile
[notify]
Dolly

I'm spoiled but- not rotten!

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 6:40pm PST 
we lost our Dolly to bone cancer a little over a year ago. It was about 3 mos after she was diagnosed. We opted not to amputate because she was a giant breed dog and all ready 8 years of age. It spread to her lungs and front leg from her rear leg. From all that I read, chemo would have given her maybe another year at the most. I couldn't do it to her.
We kept her comfortable with pain meds (several different) and spoiled the heck out of her. (Cooked her roasts, turkey breasts, etc)

I am so sorry about your dog, its so hard to lose them. hughughug

Our Beagle, Toby, was diagnosed with Mast Cell Cancer the day we got Dolly's ashes back. We went the whole chemo route and surgery with him and he is now in remission. Some cancers are a lot worse than others and bone cancer is one of them.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2