GO!

Bringing home a dachshund

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 11:07am PST 
Long story short, I'm taking home a 4 year old dachshund. She's very sweet and mostly well behaved except we need to go back to potty training basics.

Should I be taking something into account with regards to her breed? Any info on them you think I should know?

(I'm doing outside research of course)

edit to add:

And how long should I walk her for everyday? Are dog parks a bad idea cause they tend to have back problems?

Edited by author Mon Sep 24, '12 12:22pm PST

[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 12:17pm PST 
Digging and surprisingly more energy that you'd expect.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 12:29pm PST 
and barking...lots of barking. dog
[notify]

Lincoln

Huge heart, big- funny clown

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 2:32pm PST 
laugh out loud Congratulations! One big thing is count on a little stubborness--at times, with your new pup. Also, don't let her be jumping off beds--or heights--their backs are the weak-point in Doxies. They are a very loveable breed, loyal and as sweet as can be. Count on a Rottweiller personality, in a very short legged little body! These are a wonderful little dogs--enjoy her and again--my best wishes for a LONG, happy life with her! Also use a harness on her--it seems easier on this kind of dog than a collar. Make sure it is fitted very well to her. Lastly--keep close watch on her weight--keep her a little lean--her back will thank you.happy dance My very best wishes!!!!
[notify]
Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 6:36pm PST 
Dachshunds are stubborn, loud, digging monsters! big laugh

I love them, I have 3...they can be crazy but are mostly good. They bark at anything they see as "new" in the house and when people come to the door (like any dog). They are stubborn and will test you, especially with housebreaking. Do not give in, a lot of people mistake them for being dumb because they do not perform as quickly after learning something and will ignore their owners...they are by no means dumb, they just feel that they can do things better than any human can and that they know best. Dachshunds are very hard to housebreak, make sure the crate is an appropriate size (not to big) as if there is any extra space it is very likely they will go in the crate and bury it with any blanket or bed.

As for the dog park, I dont take mine there because doxies tend to start things with bigger dogs as they think they are tough and can take on anything. Watch her weight and limit the amount of stairs and jumping that the doxie does and her back should be fine.
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 10:36pm PST 
There is a long haired Dachshund who lives at the language school I attend. He has a very loud "big dog" bark and barks loudly every time someone comes to the door. He apparently loves me as he likes to grab hold of my pants leg and not let go as I walk, sometimes I end up dragging him! laugh out loud He also ends up sleeping under my chair during the lesson. However, he's got to be the naughtiest dog I've ever met! He will sneak slippers, purses, or whatever else is lying around that he can carry and will chew on them under my chair(once he started chewing on my shoe, while I was wearing it). It can be quite comical trying to take things from him, and he does talk back afterwards! If he thinks he can get away with something, by golly he's going to try! I don't know if all Dachshunds are like him, but from what others have posted here, I guess they are. thinking
[notify]
Baby

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 5:13pm PST 
Thanks for all the information. Sounds like a fun little breed haha. Should be exciting.

Anyone know the exercise requirements?
[notify]
Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 5:57pm PST 
2 of mine (maggie and wiggles) have just as much energy as my golden, they like to walk but they love to run and chase things even more...Milo is the opposite, he hates going for walks and is very lazy.

All of mine love to run and try and catch things (yes even Milo!) so I use a "cat wand" toy (without catnip of course) to let them chase and catch something, we do this for about 1 hour a day. We also take them for a 1/2 mile walk every morning and evening (Milo protests after 15 mins, he is very lazy).

You cannot forget that they are hounds, dont be surprised that if you cut a walk short or they get bored they will dig or find something to do. If for some reason have to cut a walk short mine tend to bring me presents when they come in from the yard, so far in the years I have had them Wiggles has brought me 1 baby bunny frown Maggie has brought me 2 birds, and Milo is just to slow to catch anything.

They tend to be energetic little dogs, my Maggie does agility and loves it but if you decide to do something like that be careful with the jumping due to their backs. Milo is the perfect example of a dog who does not fit the normal, he is lazy and, other than the cat wand, he would rather lay around all day then do anything that involves him spending energy.
[notify]
Baby

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 5:08pm PST 
Thanks for all the information! Looks like the little gal and I will be having loads of fun. Just needs to drop a couple of pounds, no problem. cheer
[notify]