GO!

What is this? Food allergies or seasonal allergies? PICTURES!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

♥- Arlowe- ♥

Best kisser in- the world!

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 8:31am PST 
Arlowe is my sister's dog. I had him at my house yesterday, and first thing I noticed was he has rashes and dirt looking stuff all over his belly. It looked so irritated, so I gave him a bath in vet prescribed Pyoben Medicated Shampoo.

Could it be food allergies? Two other things that pop into my head is environmental allergies or a Staph Infection due to the red splotches.

Unfortunately, my sister does not have the money to buy an expensive food. She also doesn't feed a steady brand, she feeds him multiple dog foods, whatever is cheapest - Kibbles and Bits, Ol'Roy, Kroger, ect ect. He also licks his front legs a lot and gets ear infections 2-4 times a year.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be?

Thank You! hug

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Edited by author Mon Sep 24, '12 8:34am PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 9:23am PST 
Looks like an insect bite, probably flea, that has been excessively scratched at to me.
Allergies food OR seasonal are usually rashes, not individual pustules.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 12:33pm PST 
Could be the beginning of hot spots. Have you had a vet look at it?
[notify]

♥- Arlowe- ♥

Best kisser in- the world!

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 5:43pm PST 
I took him in to the vet. They prescribed an antibiotic called Cephelexin. He has to take them 2 times a day, for 10 days. They looked under a ultra-violet light to check for ringworm, and it wasn't that. They said it looks like an an old infection, like staph, that never got treated. They said the black was skin pigment. It seems like the Pyoben Medicated Shampoo I bathed his belly in last night cleared some of it up. They said if the red little lesions get worse, to bring him back in and they will check for other fungal infections, but the antibiotics should clear everything up.

Thanks for everyone's help and concern!
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 6:32pm PST 
That's good news. We can always use some of that. Good Luck with him! smile
[notify]