GO!

help me convince my mom

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Miro

Troublemaker

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 7:24pm PST 
Ok, so I'm not sure this belongs here, but oh well. I am leaving Miro, my Australian shepherd puppy intact at least until he is fully mature. My mom however thinks that it doesn't affect anything if he is neutered now, he's only 4 months old. silenced Now I don't live with my mom, so your probably thinking well then who cares what she says... Here's the kicker, I frequently take my pups down to her house when I go to visit, I also have her baby sit them when I go out of town. She's saying that he isn't allowed to come down once he's over 6 months old unless he's fixed... I will not fix him just because of that, but he loves her house, as do all my dogs, and I want to take him wig me when I go. So does anyone have any links I can show my mom proving that leaving them intact until after maturity really is beneficial? She says its an old wives tale...shrug
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 7:41pm PST 
Honestly.. He'll probably be fluffy enough that you could get away with saying hes neutered. Unless one of her dogs is intact.. it shouldn't be a problem.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 8:35pm PST 
Well if she is adament about it then your dog might not be able to go..

I mean what if she baby sits him finds out he's intact and she takes him herself to get neutered?

Could lie and say had had a vasectomy.. Dogs still have private part when they had that done..

Your dog if you can control your dog and make sure he behaves and so on intact should be fine..
[notify]

Vladimir

Lady Killer

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 8:36pm PST 
I'm with you on this. If a dog is to be fixed, please wait until he's matured a little more. 4 months old is too young in my opinion and could cause problems for their growth which testosterone plays a part in.

here are some links for pros and cons:

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/male-d og-neutering.html#pros-cons-neuter

Here a discussion that happened here on Dogster:

http://www.dogster.com/answers/question/does_having_a_do g_neutered_at_a_young_age_affect_his_growth-22717
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 9:23pm PST 
depends also what your breeder has to say about it, decent ones usually stipulate things regarding sterilization..
[notify]
Miro

Troublemaker

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 10:21pm PST 
Haha at the he'll prob be fluffy enough she wont notice! I thought the same thing! Anyway, my mom would not take him and get him neutered, shes not loony! Just stubborn lol. Thanks to everyone who answered. I will check out those links. She has a male dog, but he's not intact. Although he is kind of bossy, Miro avoids him and is frightened of him(he snapped at Mir because Mir ran into him) for now. I suppose well have to see how their relationship develops as he gets more mature. I would go with the vasectomy thing, but there is no where in my area that does that, so she would know it was bs.
[notify]