GO!

How to switch to Premade Raw?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 5:05pm PST 
We have two adult huskies and one 9 month old dachshund. I tried to do prey model raw with the huskies earlier this year but it was just too much work for me to try and figure out the correct meat to bone/organ ratio and make sure the diet is balanced.

The only way they are going to get raw instead of kibble is premade. I would be OK with throwing in a few RMB meals every now and then but it would have to be predominantly premade.

I went to a place that sells different varieties of premade; bravo, oma's and primal are the ones I can remember. The lady said to transfer them over mix a little with the kibble just like if you were switching kibbles. Is that the way to do it? I've read that kibble and raw digest at different speeds, so I'm wondering how you would switch.

Also I know premade is pricey so I may not be able to afford all raw. What about alternating the raw and kibble? Kibble in the morning, raw at night? Is that bad?
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 5:17pm PST 
We just went from kibble one day to raw the next. No transitioning, no mixing, nothing like that.
[notify]
Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 6:19pm PST 
There were no diarrhea issues? There was a lot of that when I switched cold turkey to prey model.
[notify]

Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 6:51pm PST 
Nope, no diarrhea issues at all. I started with chicken leg quarters and went from there. What did you feed when you first made the switch?
[notify]
Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 7:00pm PST 
I also switched cold turkey after a 24 hour fast. The only diarrhea problems I have had come from too many fish oil tabs after too much bone in her diet causing constipation. lol. And that was just recently. She has been on raw for about 3-4 months now.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 8:42pm PST 
I think it depends what you are switching cold turkey to. Most people start feeding raw by using bone-in raw chicken. The bone content tends to keep poop firm. If you switched right onto something else, that could definitely cause some digestive upset.

Premade raw tends to be high-ish in bone content in general, so switching to it cold turkey shouldn't be a problem either. There isn't really evidence saying it's harmful to mix with kibble, but honestly I don't know that it would be beneficial, and it might bother some dogs.

Premade raw is expensive- so I can understand the cost issue. Why not feed the raw patties just a few times a week- so it doesn't throw off the balance of the kibble but the dogs can still benefit from the raw protein?

If you like, in the meantime you could try to source whole prey in your area. Whole prey is nice because there's no cutting, balancing, or calculation really necessary for it. (Think whole rabbits, chickens, quails, guinea pigs, rats, basically anything you might be able to find in your area).
For me, it's been immensely cheaper to buy whole prey than it has been to do prey "model", and it's WAY cheaper than good quality kibble. Just an option to think about since the balancing and fumbling with prey model wasn't working out for you.

smile
[notify]
Winston-dog

Sir Winston- Crazy-dog - can we play yet?

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 8:57pm PST 
We switched cold turkey to pre-made raw, and then I started switching out meals for RMBs to introduce different proteins.
[notify]
Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 4:39am PST 
When I made the switch I had a stockpile of split chicken breasts which probably wasn't high enough in bone content. I also bought leg quarters. I've read that a lot of people start with chicken backs. I just couldn't get the balance right, it was either liquid poop or they were straining. I just found it too overwhelming.

Farley do you mean feed predominantly kibble and just a few meals of raw?

If premade raw is high in bone content is it ok to give them RMBs also?

My vet seemed to think that premade raw is treated with something so that they don't get sick from bacteria/salmonella etc...I've read that since dogs digest the raw at such a fast speed it doesn't sit in the stomach long enough for them to get sick. But if you mix with kibble at the same meal it slows down the digestion which then could lead to them getting sick.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 6:00am PST 
I think leg quarters are a better item to start with, especially for bigger dogs, the bone content is better for starting out. I would avoid chicken backs, which are virtually just bone and skin- in prey model, meat should comprise around 80% of the diet.

"Farley do you mean feed predominantly kibble and just a few meals of raw?"

Yes that is what I meant. The kibble on its own is meant to be 100% balanced, and personally I think it's just as confusing trying to figure out if I am feeding enough of one nutrient and too little of another nutrient, trying to balance out both kibble and premade raw as a the main meal. For example, kibble has lots of calcium in it, and premade raw and RMB all have lots of calcium as well, so I'd be worried about overdoing the calcium, for one example. I could be wrong, though.

Premade raw manufacturers do their best to ensure as little contamination or bacteria growth as possible, but keep in mind that processed and ground raw meats have a higher bacteria count than plain old hunks of unground meat. (It's a surface area/exposure to air thing).

I agree that dogs digest raw at a fast rate and that bacteria doesn't have the time to colonize in their short digestive tracts, but honestly I'm unsure about the whole "kibble takes longer to digest" part. Even on good kibble, Farley's stool volume is significantly larger, and generally more waste = less efficiency digesting all of the ingested food. I don't know that feeding both at once would necessarily make dogs sick, but I wouldn't prefer to do it anyway.
[notify]
Wilbur

Can I bite your- toes?

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 7:57am PST 
I completely switched Wilbur without a gradual change and it actually IMPROVED his poopies. He was actually having more soft stool on the bit of kibble I was feeding him. He is now 21 weeks old and has been getting partial raw since 5 weeks old and total raw for about 4-5 weeks now and has been doing great. I rotate between the premade and prey model, just depends on money and what I can get at the moment (I find take the premade when I have to feed him at work is much easier).
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2