GO!

Swollen Lymph Nodes?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Odin

Barked: Tue Sep 4, '12 8:42pm PST 
Odin had his first puppy socialization class this evening. One of the trainers pointed out that Odin has a lump on both hind legs, most likely his lymph nodes. They are smaller than pea sized, squishy, and moveable. I am a nurse, and understand that the lymph nodes are part of the human immune system, and I am assuming part of his as well.

My question is, are you normally able to feel the lymph nodes on a dog? Odin is 10 weeks old (tomorrow), eating and playing normally, solid stool, and has a normal temp. He was vaccinated on Friday, so I am wondering if that could be part of it, if they are really even swollen. Being a dane, his lean build definitely makes it easier to feel his muscles and tendons...compared to say Brutus...my slightly overweight dachshund. I am going to call my vet in the morning, but I am on the verge of freaking out. Is there anyone out there than can detect the lymph nodes on their dogs?
[notify]
Wellington- 4/14/01 - 2/18/13

No I'm NOT a- Saint Bernard.

Barked: Tue Sep 4, '12 9:05pm PST 
Our dog's lymph nodes can only be felt if you really feel for them or when they are swollen. As you know swollen lymph nodes can be something simple such as allergies or something more serious like Lymphoma. Our Wellington was being treated for reoccurring allergies when our other dog's surgeon happened to pet him and said all his lymph nodes were swollen and they should be checked. Sure enough Wellington had lymphoma. The good news is it was caught early and he has been in remission for the past 5 years! With such a young dog I wouldn't be surprised if Odin was just having a reaction from his shot or something similar. But because of our experience with Wellie I would recommend talking to your vet. (He/she may want to just monitor the lumps). It's probably nothing serious but because catching things early can make such a big difference I tend to err on the side of caution. Take care!
[notify]
Odin

Barked: Tue Sep 4, '12 9:33pm PST 
Thank you. We're going to call our vet first thing in the morning, if nothing else for the peace of mind. When I went to check him again, I really had to search for them this time. Heck, the swelling in his right leg is all but vanished. My lymphnodes swell frequently from my chemical sensitivity, I wonder if that could be a factor for Odin as well. We must have driven through something on the way to class, because the lymphnodes in my neck swelled up a bit. Idk, I guess all I can do is get him to the vet ASAP. It does make sense that it is a vaccine reaction, or completely normal since the vet didn't detect anything abnormal prior to his vaccinations. Here's to a sleepless night, trying to stay calm for Odin though.
[notify]

Oscar

Canis Angelicus

Barked: Wed Sep 5, '12 9:17am PST 
I would assume it is a vaccine reaction. This happened to me as a teen following the BCG (TB) vaccination. I had chronic swollen glands for years afterwards. Personally, I would go very easy on the vaccinations from now onwards.
[notify]
Odin

Barked: Wed Sep 5, '12 11:14am PST 
Thank you for the reply. The vet checked him out and said they are not swollen, she said that because of his lean build they are more easily felt. He had a full examination and came out with a clean bill of health smile. Huge weight lifted off my shoulders. About the vaccines, we do not agree with the standard vaccination schedule that so many vets are fond of. We are going to evaluate the vaccines, and choose a regimen that we feel comfortable with. No sense in over vaccinating.
[notify]