GO!

Tell me about Great Pyrenees

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 11:13pm PST 
I don't know any Great Pyrenees personally, and have heard various contradicting things about them... and my dad has been raving to me about how much he wants one for the past few years! shock

In-depth info on them is much appreciated!

Edited by author Fri Aug 17, '12 11:15pm PST

[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 7:24am PST 
From my experience, they're very family oriented. They tend to be aloof towards strange people (not always though; Romeo certainly isn't), but they are very affectionate with the people in their family. They're not very active dogs, which kind of lends to their reputation as big white throw rugs laugh out loud. They're usually wonderful with kids and other animals. They can be a real challenge to train. They are notorious for being stubborn and having selective hearing laugh out loud. They also bark quite a bit. They do tend to wander as well, so they typically can't be trusted off leash. As for grooming, they do require frequent brushing to keep their coat in top shape. My Jane mats very easily, and sheds like crazy, so I hope your dad doesn't mind a little bit of fluff here and there around the house. Like with other nails, the dew claws need clipping every once in a while to prevent them from curling over. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me smile.
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 11:46am PST 
Jane pretty much hit it on the head, and I'm not sure we can emphasize enough the shedding thing. Some Pyr rescues state that Pyr-owned people learn to just not wear dark colored clothing. laugh out loud We all have our tolerances for levels of fur we can put up with, but if you're a neat freak... I would probably pass.
[notify]

Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 11:56am PST 
Thanks for replying! The hard-to-train part is kind of throwing me off, but it might not be a big deal for my dad LOL.
What kind of exercise do your pyres require?
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 2:42pm PST 
Generally, a walk every day and an occasional romp around the dog park is enough, at least for Jane. I wasn't kidding when I said they're like big throw rugslaugh out loud. Exercise wise, they really are not high maintenance. You just need to be sure to keep them at a healthy weight.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 2:49pm PST 
This throw-rug thing just blows my mind. Where I live the Great Pyrenees is still a working dog and active! shrug Seriously just two weekends ago I was at a family reunion and my Aunt was telling us a story about how her friend got one because of their coyote problem and vividly discribled for us how the Pyrenees uses the other farm dog as bait and then kills the coyotes.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 6:18pm PST 
I've heard stories about working LGDs, and I wonder how they're even the same breed shrug. I've personally never experienced that side of them.

Edited by author Thu Aug 23, '12 6:25pm PST

[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 8:48pm PST 
I have the same experience with Great Pyrenees as Jewel. They are working dogs around here. I have only know one who was an actual pet living in the city. Although I have liked the ones I have met, I personally would not be inclined to have one as a pet. They really do need a job and I know they can annoy their city neighbors with their nocturnal guardian activities (ie barking at night).
[notify]
Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 10:22pm PST 
Do you think it's the owner's lifestyle that affects their working desire or their lines? The one great pyrenees I've met is also similar to Jane. When I visited her house for a party, the dog was just splayed out on the floor the majority of the time all cloud 9
Thanks for the replies too guys!
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '12 7:28am PST 
I don't know what affects it but I have a hard time merging the description of them as pets with the Pyr that lived on my friend's sheep farm back when I was in high school. You just didn't get out of the car unless they were home. I think I had been there like 10 times before I risked getting out of my parents car without my friend there and even then that dog scared the snot out of me showing up out of no where and just watched me. Their border collies were thrilled to see me!! Would have helped me carry out the silver but that Pry? Just glad her mom showed up.

Which is weird right because BC as pets are still high drive/high energy why is the description of Prys as pets so different from them as working dogs?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2