GO!

23 year old killed by dogs... Two Presa Canarios and a Pit involved.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 5:22pm PST 
Here is the link... I'll reserve my opinion until others chime in.

Woman Killed By Dogs
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 5:36pm PST 
That is truly unfortunate. crycrycrycrycryshrug
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 7:02pm PST 
It is indeed, extremely unfortunate.
IMO, far too many people fail to understand the dynamics involved with owning multiple dogs and then adding another adult dog into the mix. Sadly, with these breeds, a normal "spat" can be fatal.
[notify]

Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 7:20pm PST 
I never met her personally but I "knew" her online for years and have other online acquaintances that do personally know her.
One of those people attended the visitation tonight.

She was a very dedicated, knowledgeable and highly respected rescuer, even at the young age of 23.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 7:42pm PST 
That is SO sad! frown
[notify]
Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 7:54pm PST 
This is heartbreaking..... cry

I don't want to spark argument/animosity; but what do you guys believe goes through the dogs' minds when they have these levels of sudden decision/change in temperament?
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 7:59pm PST 
This is just horrible.

I have to wonder whether one of the dogs did 'turn' or one or more redirected upon her as she quelled a spat, as Toto suggested.

My guess is that the visiting Presa upset pack dynamic and that led to the incident in one way or another.

I don't know what would go through the dog's head at a time like that ... probably not much as it would just be a flood of mindless instinct.

Its such a terrible story, that poor girl. frown
[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 8:20pm PST 
Absolutely hearbreaking in a million different ways. frown

My first thought was indeed that the visiting Pressa got in a spat with another of the dogs (not being the most outgoing of breeds) and she likely tried to break it up. Chances are high that the super loyal, visiting Pressa then turned on her.

It is very unfortunate. Even at a couple of years older than her, I'm unsure I would have the know-how in a situation like that. frown
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 9:02pm PST 
How tragic. It's hard to say, but I also have to imagine that if things were stable with her dogs, it was the visiting dog that somehow set it off. I wonder if it was a dog with fear aggression problems, and she was watching it because it couldn't go to daycare or boarding.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 9:18pm PST 
Completely agree with Toto. I love bullies, but people need to understand how to properly handle them; keeping multiple dogs in one house, especially when adding a strange dog to the mix, is a bad idea.

Just because you love dogs and want to rescue them does not make you immune to things like this happening when you do not take proper precautions. The report says that she died from multiple bites to the neck and upper torso, these dogs were going for the kill. I'm assuming more than just the visiting dog joined in one the attack since it seemed the examiner inferred that more than one dog was involved. I gotta wonder why her own dogs not only did not protect her, but joined in. Makes me wonder if you can really tell a dog's temperament even if it normally appears friendlyshrug

Edited by moderator Fri Aug 24, '12 12:47pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6