GO!

Jewel had a Vac. reaction.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 1:43pm PST 
So Jewel had her vacs on the 12th, next morning she had a swollen eyelid and she now has a lump at the injection site.

She was back at the vet's the next morning to have the swollen eyelid looked at and the vet said that since it wasn't a lot of swelling and that it took all night to happen it wasn't serious.

I'm worried that now that she's had a reaction next year she could have a bigger, badder reaction. Is my thinking correct or am I just worrying too much and her reaction will stay about the same?

I guess really my options are to either split her vacs up or titer her. I just looked up my town's bylaws and there's nothing in there about dogs having to have even rabies so I should be safe with titers.

I'd really like to hear from people who's dogs have had reactions, what did you do?
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 2:02pm PST 
Both mine had reactions to their jabs, Jewel, when i had to have them vaccinated back in 2010. Ty developed the tennis ball sized lump on his neck at the injection site which lasted a good 10 days before going down. He also went on to develop yeast infections in his ears and suspected allergies that i'm convinced were triggered by the vaccination. Missy's reaction was less prolonged and she seemed to be recovered after a few hours ( she was shaking, wobbly on her feet and generally looked quite ill ). It's fair to say they've never seen a vaccine since and won't ever again.

I would opt for titre testing in the future if you can. I wouldn't want to vaccinate any dog again that showed any signs of a reaction to be honest.
[notify]
Wiggles

wiggles is my- name ,digging is- my game

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 2:49pm PST 
I would go with titers. Make sure if she should ever have to get a vac again (as in the titer levels show that she needs one) that you split them up. Most vets will give all the vacs at once, which makes it impossible to figure out which vac they are reacting to or if it is a combination. We recently had to get Wiggles his vaccines (rabies, DHLPP, flu, bordetella) due to us having to kennel him. He had a reaction to the flu and bordetella combo but has never had a reaction to them individually. I think that their system just gets overwhelmed. Also, ask your vet what type of rabies he gave your pup, there is the 3 yr one and the safer 1 yr rabies. The 3 yr rabies has been shown to cause cancer at the injection site and many animals have reactions to it. The 1 yr rabies does not cause as much of a cancer risk and less reactions are seen. Should you have to get the rabies again (titer levels), try the 1 yr vaccine.
[notify]

Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 7:21pm PST 
Sorry Jewel's not feeling well.

Wiggles- I'm really interested in that 3yr vs. 1 yr rabies shot. Do you have a link to the article that explains this? I have always heard that the 3yr and 1 yr vaccine are really the same thing, just repackaged...
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 7:25pm PST 
I have never heard of there being any difference in the vaccine as well. In fact, we recently did a Rabies clinic at our kennel and I drew up the vaccines AND did the paperwork and whether it was a three year OR a one year certificate, the vaccine came out of the exact same vial.
[notify]
Bella Dog - the Bog

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 7:42pm PST 
I used to work for a vet that really over-vaccinated; therefore- we saw a TON of vaccine allergic dogs. I cringe thinking about it now frown just doing the basics (DHLP-Rabies-Bordetella) will help, and almost all of the vax allergic dogs were fine if we split the vaccines up on different months and gave Benedryl prior to vaccinating. Obviously, ask you vet for the correct dosage, but given an hour prior to the shot stops almost all reactions and minimizes the severe ones. Honestly, I often give my pups benedryl if they need vax now just to err on the side of caution; otherwise my white pittie gets occasional hives. Benedryl is good just to keep on hand for emergencies like sudden reactions to bee stings and such smile
[notify]
Bella Dog - the Bog

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 7:44pm PST 
I used to work for a vet that really over-vaccinated; therefore- we saw a TON of vaccine allergic dogs. I cringe thinking about it now frown just doing the basics (DHLP-Rabies-Bordetella) will help, and almost all of the vax allergic dogs were fine if we split the vaccines up on different months and gave Benedryl prior to vaccinating. Obviously, ask you vet for the correct dosage, but given an hour prior to the shot stops almost all reactions and minimizes the severe ones. Honestly, I often give my pups benedryl if they need vax now just to err on the side of caution; otherwise my white pittie gets occasional hives. Benedryl is good just to keep on hand for emergencies like sudden reactions to bee stings and such smile
[notify]
Bella Dog - the Bog

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 7:52pm PST 
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 7:52pm PST 
My vet told me the one and three year rabies vac are the exact same thing. Puppies need to be revaccinated after only year because their immune system wasn't fully developed at the time of the first rabies vac was his explanation.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 7:54pm PST 
Yeah I kind of thought the only difference was you paid for a longer license...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3