GO!

Uninformed Gym

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Samson- Service Dog, TD, CGC

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 7:24pm PST 
I went to a new gym today to use the treadmill and when I went to sign in the young woman at the desk asked me if I was going to bring Samson with me onto the "floor". I told her yes he is my service dog. She looked upset and radioed someone about whether or not a service dog is allowed by the equipment. The person on the radio said no the service dog would have to go in a room and be tied up until I'm finished. I told her absolutely not and my dog must stay with me. I also mentioned it was illegal to separate a SD team. She told me there's another team that goes to the gym and they are fine with leaving their dog in the room. She eventually asked another guy working there and he said that a service dog was allowed in the gym. So Samson and I walked over to the treadmill and he curled up in a ball while I walked. It's sad that they made such a big deal about Samson when he never even moved once we got in. I'm glad it worked out though!
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 7:40pm PST 
I'm sorry you had a tough time. I went to the gym with Sabrina several times and never had any issue. I just put her in a down stay next to whatever equipment I was on.
[notify]
AILBE,- Service Dog- In Tng

Born To Serve- The Damsel In- Distress

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 1:21am PST 
So sorry on your loss.. Sabrina brought you the love and support you needed many years ago.. Ollie has done wonderful for your replacement and I know it was a hard decision to make.

Ailbe and Shadow Walker
[notify]

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 4:21am PST 
I could see how there would be some areas in a gym that would NOT fall under reasonable accommodation/ the dog's presence would compromise legitimate safety requirements necessary for safe operation. For example, there may be mandates that nothing can be between certain pieces of equipment; you wouldn't be allowed to put the dog there.

Instead of getting upset, talk to the manager and ask. This isn't the same as going to the mall and shopping; it's a place where, if full of customers, there are increased risk of harm to the dog by the moving equipment and harm to other customers if they trip over the dog.

I used both the housing area (free) and the "health club" (not free) on base. Both had health & safety policies about keeping certain distances between equipment/nothing being there while equipment was turn on, Most of it was just common sense stuff. Scooter was allowed in the pool & hot tub areas as long as he didn't get in. The health club went above and beyond; their policy included having an employee supervise Scooter so I could enjoy the steam room.
[notify]

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 6:48am PST 
Scooter-

I understand that certain pieces of equipment can pose a danger to a service dog but I am by no means an athlete and was only going to use the treadmills. There are three rows of about 20 treadmills in the front of the gym and in the first row there is a very large space where Samson can very easily lay. I informed them that I only wished to use the treadmill so we wouldn't be near any other equipment.
[notify]
Ocea

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 11:28am PST 
It's a shame the other SD handler allows their dog to be separated and put in a room. But i wonder if this is because they are doing a lot of weight work, where there are many more people around and in the place in the gym where people tend to just drop weights onto the floor where they stand?
Even so, at least now the gym is informed.
When i first joined my gym, they weren't aware of service dogs and after having a nice talk with the woman in charge she was very welcoming and happy to have us there. I use mostly the machines, which have plenty of room where Osh just curls up and sleeps as you say samson does. It's a great, reasonably calm and air conditioned place. No harm ever comes to my dog.
[notify]
Jolanda

I grin from ears- to chin :D

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 10:55pm PST 
my recommendation would be to write to the actual company and let them know what happens. They are responsible to educate and train their staff.
Yes, it's not acceptable to give you an access challenge.
Sorry this happened.
I was given one once, wrote to the person responsible for the rec department and things were taken care of immediately.
We use the gym, the pool, the tracks, the fields - no issues.
Sending warm wishes, sonja and the crew
Jolanda

I grin from ears- to chin :D

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '12 8:41am PST 
any updates, Sam?
Tug

TD and CGC

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 10:20pm PST 
This is a good link on the ADA site http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm.
[notify]

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '12 6:16am PST 
I haven't been back since and my life has been so busy lately that I haven't gotten a chance to write a letter I am planning to try the gym again soon so if they are accommodating I will leave it alone. I understand that some managers may be informed but they don't (or don't do a good job at) educating their employees. So this was clearly a case of no education. I'm hoping I can give them more information next time I go. Thank you for the suggestions!
[notify]