GO!

Designer Crosses

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 4:42pm PST 
So, Dogster is currently running an "article" about designer dogs every Thursday. Today's "breed" was the "morkie". http://www.dogster.com/dog-breeds/morkie

Is anyone else as disgusted by this as I am???
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 4:47pm PST 
Yes! Why don't they do articles about "magical majestic mutts"? Let's call it what it is instead of adding legitimacy to it? With you totally on this Sarah. Have you complained to HQ? Wonder what they *Say about it. wink
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 4:52pm PST 
I don't even know how to complain to HQ- or I would! As a foster home and avid rescuer, I am LIVID!
[notify]

Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 5:09pm PST 
But how do you guys think they got the dog breeds we have today? They crossed different breeds together to get the desired combination of traits. That's really no different then what some people are doing now. Someone want a lab, but doesn't want all the shedding, so they crossed a lab with a poodle. As long as the breeding is done responsibly I don't see a problem with it.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 5:19pm PST 
Two weeks ago Moose and I were at the beach and there was a black and white, what I thought, was a Standard Poodle mix of some kind.. The dogs owners were oooing and awwing at Moose when I asked about their dog. They said he was, I think I'm remembering correctly, a "bernoodle". Not understanding,
I asked if he was a rescue and they said he came from a breeder. Then I asked if "this was one of those new designer breeds" and they said it was (sigh) a St. Bernard/Poodle mix.
I asked if this was one of the new poodle crosses that's catching fire and they responded yes.
I looked right at her dog and said, "that's a shame".

The dog didn't have one marking that even closely resembled a Saint.
The designer dog craze is nuts.

There is no functional reason, that I can think of, to cross a Saint to a Poodle.
It isn't like the breeding of yesteryear to create a specific, functional breed. It's money grubbing breeding that gives no consideration to anything but a dollar.

Edited by author Thu Jun 28, '12 5:32pm PST

[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 5:24pm PST 
Problem is- it's NOT done responsibly. And it's not as easy as crossing a poodle with a lab and you automatically get a nonshedding lab. You get all kinds of temperamental and physical traits from the poodle, plus the breeders do not know how to control coat type, so you have no guarantee that the dog will be nonshedding.

And yes, people created the breeds we have now by crossing other breeds- but they had a purpose, and it wasn't to "look cute". It was to develop a dog with certain instincts or functional body types. There is no functional need for these crosses. We have also come a long way with animal welfare. When many of the breeds we have today were being created, dogs were treated differently than we treat them now.

Truly reputable breeders would NEVER allow their dogs to be crossed like this. This means that the foundation stock for these dogs is going to be automatically subpar... Meaning you are more likely to have health issues and temperament issues.

When MILLIONS of dogs are being put down every year, there should be very few people breeding, and there should definitely not be people out there breeding FAD "breeds"! This makes me SICK.
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 5:26pm PST 
Good for you Moose!

It's one thing to end up with a crazy mix from a shelter. It's something else entirely to support the INTENTIONAL creation of these dogs! Now I'm on a roll! Can anyone point me in the direction of HQ??
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 5:27pm PST 
Couple problems wrong with it Radley. The main one is that very few breeders of designer dogs do so responsibly. The majority are out there just to make a quick buck, and don't care for the welfare of the dogs they produce.

I also want to add that the Labradoodle was a failed experiment. You can't selectively choose the traits you want, genetics simply doesn't work that way. If you cross a Poodle and a Labrador, chances are as good that you'll end up with puppies who have the lab's fur as the poodle's hair. Usually, it's kind of in between, and you get a dog that has a high maintenance coat that sheds a whole bunch. That's not even a guarantee about the personality; if you end up with a low shedder, who says it's going to act like the Lab? Anyways, it's true that by selective breeding we have come up with a variety of breeds. But crossing two breeds is not selective breeding.

I agree with Sarah and Squ'mey. This needs to stop.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 5:32pm PST 
Sarah, bottom of the page where it says CONTACT. You need to go thru a bunch of options but will finally get to a place where you CAN actually email them!!!
And, yes, I am with you 100000%, extra zeros intentional!!
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 5:46pm PST 
Thank you Jane for your explanations, and thank you Toto for your directions! I have said my piece to HQ, now just waiting for a response...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13