GO!

Questions about flying a pup to you and....

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Billie Jean

Mamma\'s dainty- baby

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 4:26pm PST 
I need some advice on whether to have a pup flown to me. Have any of you done this (I'm sure some have) and how did it work out for you? I know places that do fly their pups to the new owner but I have heard some scary stories about it. ALSO...does anyone know of a reputable MALTESE breeder. I want one from a person who shows their dogs and breeds for quality as opposed to a puppy mill. Thanks very much!
[notify]
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 6:27pm PST 
Flying pets has come up here before. Some people have great luck and some don't. There is one airline called Pet Airways that only flies pets. You might want to check that. I would be wary of flying a Maltese or any puppy on a regular airline. They are very small and fragile when they are little. Also, really good breeders, generally do not ship puppies. We got both Kali & Koby from a breeder and we drove to pick them up in NJ. I would look for a breeder local to you or contact a Maltese rescue. Good Luck!
[notify]
H, my angel- in heaven.

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 7:02pm PST 
I had a puppy shipped to me last year and it was fine. No problems at all. If you find a breeder that has shipped pups before they will know what to do to and will take the necessary steps to get your pup to you safely, so you shouldn't worry too much.
[notify]

Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 8:21pm PST 
I got my puppy from a breeder in FL and had him shipped to us in KS and he did well. We didn't have any problems at all.
[notify]
Ninja PD- SR-1 MBDCh- FM TF3

Take That!

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '12 10:00am PST 
Ninja's breeder wouldnt ship him alone, but she allowed me to fly down and bring him back on the plane with me. He was in a sherpa bag under the seat in front of me during the flight and did amazing. No issues at all, but his breeder did alot of foundation with him driving in cars and being exposed to various noises and things, so he was somewhat prepared for the travel experience.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '12 3:35pm PST 
got nothing about shipping a pup, I don't have any personal experience with that (although it is very common practice, and probably safer that hiring a long-distance road transporter... vehicle crashes being as common as they are, and greater chance of mistakes or escapes, since driving takes so much longer.)

Just wanted to say, if you want a Maltese from a show breeder, check out the American Maltese Association , the AKC parent club for the breed in America. They may have breeder classifieds (of members in good standing with the club, which is important) or may be able to direct you to local club members who can help you find someone within driving distance who's up to your standards. A lot of good breeders don't advertise their litters or even have websites, so it's important to make contacts with people "in the breed" to figure stuff out.
[notify]
Billie Jean

Mamma\'s dainty- baby

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '12 4:11pm PST 
Hey everyone....Just wanted to get in here to thank each one of you for your advice. ALL advice is appreciated. I think?? we may have found a breeder who shows her dogs etc...and she only lives 5 1/2 hours from us!!!smile Thats very do-able.We talked alot on the phone today. I will still take your advice Bruno and do a little more checking around.
This ladys pups will be born any where from this Tuesday to the next Tuesday....so not even born yet. She will call me as soon as they are born and we will go from there!
Again, thanks everyone!!!
[notify]