GO!

Could He Be Part English Shepherd?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Lil Man ♥

Did you say- BALL???

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 12:54pm PST 
Well I was looking at pictures of English Shepherds and found one that looked just like Lil Man. He belongs to my friend and she said he is supposed to be Australian Shepherd, "Australian Herding Dog" (not sure what that is) and a some Pit. Any suggestions?
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 1:12pm PST 
Lil Man sort of reminds me of Farley cloud 9 He's very cute.

I've been asked if Farley was part or even purebred English Shepherd before, and I had to google it the first time because I hadn't even heard of one.

I did get him DNA tested though, and it came back GSD/Border Collie/Rough Collie/Lab/unknown.

Lil Man could possibly be part ES, but he looks to me like maybe an Australian Shepherd/Rough Collie cross or Australian Shepherd/Border Collie cross. I'm not sure if I see any pittie in there.

Maybe your friend would be interested in getting a Wisdom Panel done for him? smile

Edited by author Mon Jun 4, '12 1:13pm PST

[notify]
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 7:23pm PST 
English Shepherds are not included on the Wisdom Panel tests, so there really is no point in trying one to see if your dog might be part ES.

(I swear I am going to do one SOMEDAY on Chandler just to see what it ends up saying. Does anybody know where to get one for a good price?)

Appearance-wise, he could be part ES, but 50 lbs or under is on the small side for a male ES, although the breed can run from 30ish lbs to over 80.

Strictly speaking, it is difficult to distinguish ES from BC or AS simply by appearance, although shaded sable certainly isn't as common in BC or AS as it is in ES, Shelties, or Rough Collies. It is often easier to distinguish by behavior, as ES are known for being bossy and are also upright herders that don't do the BC crouch. They tend to need a job and aren't always the best fit for the casual suburban owner.

One of the best places to find detailed information on ES temperament and working character is the English Shepherd Club website:
http://www.englishshepherd.org/
[notify]

Chandler

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 7:27pm PST 
...as an illustration of breed diversity; these are all ES.
[notify]
Skarlet

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 8:22pm PST 
I agree with Chandler. Even within one litter there can be a lot of variety. Skarlet looks very little like most of her siblings. Temperment is probably the best thing to go by. I don't think I have ever met an English Shepherd that was not at all bossy with other dogs, although males tend to be a little easier going. A lot of them are 'rules enforcers', that is one of their biggest traits. Most of them like to be their owner's shadow, but I have heard of a couple that would run away from home. They have a lot of the typical herding dog traits and most do need a job, especially when they're young, but it doesn't have to be constant and they are pretty content to just hang out with you most of the day. They vary a lot, in looks and temperment.
[notify]
Samoa- SunnyBear- Bell

Happy Boy!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 6:41am PST 
Second from the right is a twin to our Samoa!
[notify]
Lil Man ♥

Did you say- BALL???

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 10:17am PST 
Thanks everybody i do think he looks like just an Aussie mix or maybe some collie in there somewhere. Maybe we should do a wisdom panel just to see. Who knows what we will find. laugh out loud
[notify]
Samoa- SunnyBear- Bell

Happy Boy!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 10:57am PST 
We figure Samoa to be part Aussie/part Golden.

And that is a really good looking pup you've got there.
[notify]
Chandler

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 11:40am PST 
Samoa, if you are talking about the seventh dog from the left, that is Chandler. wink

...and dog #2 is Chandler's grandniece.

...and dog #5 is:
Dog #1's grandpa.
Dog #4's father.
Dog #6's grandpa.

Dog #3 may be related to both Chandler and dog #5, but his pedigree is uncertain due to the hellhole he was rescued from.

Dog #8 is also a rescue of unknown pedigree, but also exhibits typical ES temperament and behavior.
[notify]
Samoa- SunnyBear- Bell

Happy Boy!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 12:21pm PST 
Wow! How fantastic! How wonderful to have such a big pack. And, yes! In that head on pose, Chandler looks just like Samoa. Or Samoa looks just like Chandler.

Samoa has a tightly curled tail, but other than that...we got that separated at Birth thing going on.

Samoa is a big'un. Weighs about 85 lbs.
[notify]