GO!

Desire of a Dog to Eat "Bad" Food?? - SUPER LONG

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bubbles- (1997 - 2012)

Moan, it gets- you places.

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 5:56pm PST 
This is a tangential post to my other post in Dog Health:
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Dog_Health/thread/745198/1

My body is basically riddled with cancer. Mom tried, on vet advice, mushing my regular kibble (Evo Salmon and Herring & Evo Senior) with organic no onion powder broth. Threw it up undigested. Tried boiled chicken & rice. Threw it up undigested after two days. Tried baby food and rice. Threw it up. Tried mass market wet food. Still throwing it up. (But not as badly, no massive stomach-gark of all contents, on the couch).

BUT my question, like I said, is tangential to the cancer-keeping food down question.

For years, my bro and I have been "grazers." Put our Evo down: no excitement. No YEAH FOOD! We'd eat a little, walk away, come back, eat a little, walk away. Sometimes there was still food in the bowl at next feeding time.

But three nights in a row Mom has fed me commercial-quality wet(Rachel Ray and Harmony Farms the ONLY ones she could find w/o onion).

AND ITS THE MOST AMAZING FOOD EVER!!!!! I'm done in minutes, and want MORE!!!

Mom knows there are a lot of people on here who are very serious about quality in dog food, as she normally is, but if I LOVE it, and just gobble it up, while I leave my high-quality super expensive food just sitting there, why not just feed me (and give my bro a taste of)the GOOD STUFF??? Just want an opinion on why I LOVE what's supposed to be bad for me, and mom's wondering why she spends so much money on "high" quality food that obviously isn't as attractive.

(Please no haters-going through enough already).
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 6:11pm PST 
I like eating tons of high sugar and high fat foods. They taste delicious. And I'll be the first to admit they make up far more of my diet than they ought to. Hooray for the benefits of youth and high metabolism.

They taste far better than the stuff that keeps me healthy. The difference between me and a dog though is that a dog doesn't have the intellect to rationalize eating the stuff that tastes worse because it'll keep him healthier.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 7:26pm PST 
Wet food tastes much better than kibble. Unless they were meh about canned EVO there isn't any comparison. Nutrish is 40% protein although some is from peas. Harmony Farms actually has liver in it, yum. Both do have yummy salt added as well.

Aren't you glad you tried it? Anything that makes her happy is good food!
[notify]

In Memory of CodyDunnit

Give me rats or- give me death!

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 7:32pm PST 
I am of the mindset that if your dog is not healthy, you are just trying to get him to eat, really who cares what it is, as long as he is eating and keeping it down. Do what works and don't worry about what everyone else thinks. Please give him gentle hugs from us in in So Cal.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 7:53pm PST 
I agree with Cody- whatever your dog wants to eat and their stomach can tolerate is A-OK when they're sick and just need to eat SOMETHING. I say do whatever you can do to make her last time with you happy. If it meant feeding Beneful, or heck, McDonalds, every day, I would do it.

My personal feeling about "junky" dog foods is that even the worst ones are probably better nutrition than human junk foods. smile Dogs live well for years on cheap kibble, not a lot of people can say they ate nothing but Hostess Donettes or Big Macs for 12 years and were healthy on it. Kick dirt on them all you want, but the big dog food companies have a vested interest in making sure dogs don't keel over and die on their product. (It's bad publicity big grin ) Even at worst, it's nutritionally ADEQUATE (not saying good, or great, of course.) I wouldn't really worry about feeding any AAFCO-spec commercial food right now, if it's what works for you and your dog.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 8:12pm PST 
Given the situation, I would feed anything he will eat and keep down. However, have you tried the high end canned foods or even raw or cooked meat? It might be another option especially if he gets tired of foods quickly.
[notify]
Bubbles- (1997 - 2012)

Moan, it gets- you places.

Barked: Sat Jun 2, '12 10:56pm PST 
Thanks guys. Dinner time has become the most exciting moment of the day for both of them. (Raskol is still on the EVO, with a little of the bad stuff mixed in). I know I'm feeding junk, but he literally chases his bowl around the kitchen when he's done. It's so awesome to see him so animated. Maxwell, I AM glad I tried it. The baby food didn't work. The chicken and rice didn't work. This - sort of - works. He's really garking a lot less.
[notify]
Tyger- -Beloved- (1978-1996)

Tyger - Fear my- symmetry!!!

Barked: Sat Jun 2, '12 11:05pm PST 
And Bruno--- I, Bubble's mom's heart dog, lived for 18 years on Mighty Dog, chicken bones and left-over chocolate ice cream bowl-lickage!!!!
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 10:13am PST 
So sorry to hear that Bubbles is ill ...

With that, I am certainly in agreement with the other posters that if your pup is ill and resistant to eating anything, I would be feeding anything, within reason, that the dog would eat, and not really giving it too much thought beyond that.

Sending lots of hugs! wishes
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 9:02am PST 
Chicken Broth, Chicken, Dried Egg Product, Chicken, Sweet Potato, Green Beans, Pineapple, Pea Protein, Natural Flavor, Tricalcium Phosphate, Ground Tapioca, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, Caramel Color, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Niacin, Copper Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Biotin Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate

This is one of the ingredient lists from the wet Rachael Ray foods. I don't think it's bad. There are some questionable ingredients, but no by-products or un named animal ingredients. It looks comparable to some other premium pet foods you would find in pet stores.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3