GO!

What I wish I had known

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Luke

Proud to serve

Barked: Sun May 20, '12 10:11am PST 
I was just wondering, for fun, are there any "I wish I had known" type things about working with a SD that would have been helpful to know prior to having a SD?
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Sun May 20, '12 2:57pm PST 
I wish I had known how to pick the right dog the first time around.

I have Thor now and he is perfect for me, so it all ended well. There was quite a bit of heartbreak with my first SDIT.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sun May 20, '12 6:47pm PST 
I wish I had know before I had know now that I could train my own SD. That A lot of stuff I know now I did not deed so much as I thought I did. Some things I could have gotten by without too.
That if I just worked harder with consistancy with sadie on some of her more important manners witch now she has got down but just that she could have gotten them down sooner if I was more persistent with her. Guess if I had know better of all the tasks she needed before I taught her fun stuff. guess that is all I wish I should haves knowns.
[notify]

Polly

Lolly girl

Barked: Mon May 21, '12 10:24am PST 
HOw to pick the right dog, my first one washed out had to rehome, that is hard to do.

And I guess I was not really prepared for how many people will try to playwith, distract and try to pet your SD. I deal with it a lot better now, but at first it drove me crazy! You lose your anonymity, I like to shop and not be brothered.
shrug oh well you learn to live with it dog
[notify]
Shiloh

Queen Shmoopy

Barked: Mon May 21, '12 7:34pm PST 
I agree with Polly on the second part. I was definitely not prepared for how much staring/pointing/petting/etc. both Shiloh and I would receive. Well, not the petting part for myself. lol Just this weekend an entire family stood a few feet from us talking about us as though we were an exhibit. It was really awkward to say the least... Hopefully I won't be so green around the collar when it comes to the weird, almost daily encounters.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Mon May 21, '12 9:03pm PST 
Shiloh wait until they follow you around for an hour.

That said I do wish I would have known how bad the public would react. It wouldn't have changed my decision any but it would have been nice to have a heads up. And I wish I would have known what stupid comments people would come up with.
[notify]
Polly

Lolly girl

Barked: Tue May 22, '12 9:18am PST 
Shiloh and Happy, laugh out loud yes sometimes you do feel like an exhibit.
and those people that follow you around in the store, aisle after aisle, staring at you that has happened to me a few times. once the person added whisling along with the aisle stocking--I finally had to tell them to stop, jez eek smile
[notify]
Luke

Proud to serve

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 3:55pm PST 
Has the public really been so bad in your experience?
[notify]
Nova

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 5:26pm PST 
Yup. I'm a guide dog raiser, not a SD user, so I am lucky to have the option to leave the pup at home if I just can't take it on a particular day. But yes, every time I start to have an ounce of faith in the public, some one takes a pound away smile

One of my favorites is "Oh he's working!!!!!!!" as they reach in to pet and cuddle.

In general, the public does not have bad intentions; I think for the most part that this is their only encounter with a SD/SDIT in a year or two or five, and so it's good that they're excited and curious. They just don't realize that we have these encounters literally 10 times a shopping trip, even if you just wanted to run into Target really quickly to buy toilet paper.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Thu May 24, '12 4:01am PST 
The vest is like a shining beacon to the public... be I in a store or outside. I've had Happy at open air markets and the like unvested and no one Ever approaches us. But you put a vest on him and I'm going to have 30 people want to comment or pet.

The wanting to pet him one's are the nice ones. I have been followed around (which with PTSD Really sets me off). I get flying kids at least once a day... those who come hurtling across an aisle to latch onto Happy's neck.

For the really bad ones, I've been quoted (incorrectly I might add) scripture from the bible, I've been yelled at, I've actually been physically hit but that is a rare occurrence. But some of the public can be quite hostile about my use of a service dog.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2