GO!

just an observation: I'll take my herder over a northern breed any day

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 10:38am PST 
I have always wanted to own a husky, and recently we've been watching my mom's husky mix. She's a very sweet dog, but now I KNOW that I'd be a terrible owner for one.

My herding dog is so much more responsive and just easy to work with.

The husky mix is completely unreliable off lead. She may come to her name, she may not come to her name. Even if treats are involved it's her choice whether or not she obeys. She has very little desire to please a person, although she is a sweet and friendly dog.

She's a bit more reliable in doors, but she doesn't have the ability to focus on the task at hand, and I can't ever see her excelling at obedience with out some really major effort.

And the hair. OH MY GOSH. I don't know how my mom does it.

She is less reactive then my herder and she's good with other dogs and very tolerant with kids.

Just saying that I'm glad I was careful when researching what kind of dog I wanted. Huskies are beautiful dogs and they've always been a fantasy of mine, but I'm glad now that I have real world experience to talk me out of ever getting one. ;-)
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 11:17am PST 
Although they are notorious for being unreliable offleash, I've known a couple of huskies who were excellent offleash and *gasp* even had a snappy recall. In fact one of them lived offleash almost 100%, her owner is a contractor and spent every day all day working job sites with her by his side, she never ran off and her basic OB manners were stellar (she died peacefully of old age). IMHO that's because she got the intensive one on one daily interaction that she needed to become that kind of dog, plus she and her owner were a great fit. There are always 'outliers', individual dogs who don't seem to line up with the accepted version of what the breed's traits are.

I agree that doing breed research is very important, but it's also good to keep in mind that dogs are individuals and they don't always conform to the expected. If you're buying a pup, it's better to try and start off with a dog breed that fits you and your lifestyle best, though, that's true.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 11:42am PST 
I do agree that dogs are each individuals and do not always conform to breed traits, however, there are many that DO and I do agree that recall is a questionable thing dependent on the individual dog just as much as on the breed. While Charlie is fantastic at dog parks off leash, he is not reliable anywhere else. Beau, my foster dog, had such snappy recall, he had the ability to be off leash in certain scenarios.

That said, I too, will never own a husky. When I was younger, I had all these fantasies about them - likely due to many kids movies, but then I worked in a daycare/groom shop... And no thank you. They were talkative and while they were both well behaved, they were STUBBORN to no end, head-strong, did as they pleased and most of all... I can't deal with that type of fur. That FLOATY, stick to EVERYTHING, always in the air fur.

I ended up with a hound whom I love very very much. smile
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 12:08pm PST 
I happen to love my Northern Spitz type pups but I would certainly never recommend them as the dog for everyone. Of the 3 I have had the pleasure of owning so far only 2,my girls Mattie and Mika have been reliable off leash.
They are stubborn,willful and until a certain point far more likely to want to please themselves rather than their people. They are also extremely loyal,loving,and very sweet companions. They will typically risk their lives if necessary to save you and are just as other breeds there are good and bad.
The hair IS AWFUL,a lint brush and a very good vacuum are absolute musts.
Thank each and every one of you who took the time,did some research,and decided they were not a good choice for you. Knowing how many end up in shelters,rescues,and euthanized because someone got their "fantasy" and realized that reality was very differnt too late for the pup. THANK-YOU!hugflowers
[notify]
Jazmine- *Jazzy*

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 3:52pm PST 
I love my spitz breed too! I have to admit I don't let her off leash and she is stubborn sometimes, but I think given she's with me nearly all the time she has awesome manners and some commands that the average dog doesn't have under their belt.
She definitely isn't for everyone, for me she's perfect. I don't mind the hair, love her natural manners, and enjoy working and figuring out how to teach such a non-traditional dog.
I'm glad you did the research before another poor spitz girl ended up in the pound!
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 4:07pm PST 
Personally, if I ever got a certain dog, found the breed wasn't for me, I'd STILL work my butt off to give it everything to meet its needs and work my butt off to find training techniques, etc that worked for the dog. I helped my cousin socialize her dog-aggressive husky and even helped her with training, etc because her dog was getting to a pound-possibility point.

And I do know they can be extremely loving, loyal, etc. Don't get me wrong there. But definitely not fur I want to deal with, and definitely not the typical traits either.

That said, did I do my research on Beagles before bringing Charlie home? No. Did my grandmother threaten to get rid of him if I didn't figure out how to train him and housebreak him? Yes. Did I figure it out? Absolutely and I worked my butt off to make sure I was his forever home. I don't like seeing dogs in the shelters or rescues and I will do everything I can to help keep them from there.

But with that said, EVERY breed definitely has their pros and cons. Their good traits and bad traits. I don't like that Charlie is so focused on smells, but I know that's a breed trait and I find ways to make it work to my advantage instead so that he enjoys doing what I want and I don't get frustrated, bol. Beagles definitely aren't for everyone either.

I'm sure at 16, if I'd had it my way, it would have been a husky, or a mal, or a pitbull or something else, without having done any research. After working with so many different breeds of dogs in that doggy daycare, boy, did I ever learn a lot and soon after getting Charlie, I joined dogster and learned even more. I will forever be greatful to those on here who have helped me face reality over fantasy and have helped me learn the ways of positive reinforcement.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 4:19pm PST 
Personally, I love beagles as well. My sister has 2 one mixed with pug and JRT,the other we think full blooded. I adore them both and Mika and Kai love them as playmates as well. Would I own one? Sorry,not for me. There are many breeds I absolutely adore and have met many wonderful examples of I just know that it is completely beyond my ability to deal with some of the quirks and traits of the breeds. I am very thankful that you helped save your cousins dog from a trip to the pound and I am very glad that you were able to make things work so wonderfully with Charlie. This is a good place for learning and I usually learn something new at least once a week.hugwishes From a Spitz Person
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 6:47pm PST 
Ha. I'm not into the spitz groups generally speaking. Herders and terriers suit my needs pretty much perfectly with some sporting and working breeds tossed in for variety. The more dogs I have to deal with a work the fewer breeds I find I'm willing to work with. My list is still pretty extensive but it's narrowed down a lot.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 7:54pm PST 
Haha, I was thinking the exact opposite of the original poster...wink

All of that has to do with breeding and training though. I have three sptizes and three for three can be off leash. Sure it took way more work than a lab or something, but it was also way more rewarding. Out of my three, one is working towards his novice obedience title, one is the most bombproof dog ever, and the other is hopefully a little agility star in the making. It totally depends on your expectations.

Herders on the other hand...drive me up a wall. laugh out loud
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 9:08pm PST 
I love both equally. They are the two groups I'd only ever own (and actually the only two types I have worked with). I must have a split personality, you're right when you say they are just so, so different.

That being said, I think I'm at the skill level where I could train an acceptable recall to a nordic. I trained a nordic to retrieve once as well, quite reliably. Of course not to the absolute perfection I enjoy with my herder, but enough to make life comfortable.

Right now SO and I are still tossing up between malamute and GSD as our next dog. But he's pretty set on a shepherd so I think I will have to place my nordics onto the backburner for a bit. I would love to learn sledding one day though (although I don't know if I would enjoy it as much as the herding training we do! Stay tuned, I guess!) laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5