GO!

A Small Dog :)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Angel Lou

Everybody wants- to be a...DOG!- not a CAT

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 5:38pm PST 
My Fiance and I, were talking about what lies ahead in our future, things like living arrangements, Children, Setting up our wedding and official wedding date. Naturally, pets came into the conversation, which is no surprise seeing as that is a regular conversation that we have...anyway although we love our big dogs, we'd love the experience of owning a little dog.

Now, grant you this will not be for a very long time. I think we have our next FEW breeds picked out...BOLlaugh out loud
But we haven't really done a ton of research on smaller breeds. I mean sure I know the basics of some small breeds, but not to much detail. My Fiance is pretty nonchalant when it comes to what he would like in a dog. Other than he loves nordics (as most know wink) and I am quite fond of my jowly bully's. cloud 9 We both agree though we want a small dog someday, while we're younger not retirement.

We've looked into some small breeds. In general speaking, the S.O doesn't care for chihuahuas. I think the long haired version is quite adorable, but he doesn't care for the typical high pitched barky dogs. While he knows that it can be corrected with extensive training, and I will say if it is a chihuahua that seems to fit us best we are not opposed to looking into them more. Just would like to see what other choices are out there first. smile

So, here is what we would ideally like in a small dog.

-Spunky little personality, with a happy go lucky outlook.

-Friendly with other dogs, cats, children etc. I realize this has to deal a lot with socialization. I think in this situation though it'd be good to stay away from breeds that have tendencies to have DA and etc.

-A dog that likes to snuggle or at least occasionally snuggle. Its a bit hard to explain...I like a dog that likes to near and around me, but isn't obnoxious about it.

-Less vocal would be nice wink, again I know training can help curve this.

-As far as train-ability goes a little bit of stubbornness is okay, but I don't want to have to constantly convince the dog to do something. Unfortunately, I do not have THAT much patience.

-I would like to take the dog places with me, like hiking and nice walks. The lake and etc. Spend a great deal of time outdoors, whether gardening or yard work. Eventually, when we have children, we will be outside a lot with them. As we don't want our kids to be like the newer generation that sits and watches Tv all day long, and plays video games all day long. naughty

Breeds we have looked at most recently: Grant you there is a lot, because we haven't really done any narrowing done what so ever.

-Shih Tzu
-Toy Poodle
-Chinese Crested(PowderPuff)
-Bulldogs: Both English and French version
-Even though they are not a true breed. We adore some Puggles we have seen in rescues. I want to make this clear if we were to ever get one. I would not go to a breeder, being they are a designer breed. I would rescue.
-Havanese
-Dachshunds
-Yorkies
-Japanese Chins..gosh they are so cute.

Feel free to ask more questions, suggest breeds, or even give some information on the ones listed above. I will try getting S.O to help me narrow the list, and I will let you all know as soon as possible!

Thanks Guys! snoopy
[notify]
Jax

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 6:34pm PST 
I know this wasn't in your list, but I think a schipperke could very well fit your list. They have a spitz look if your husband is into nordic dogs. smile While not everything can be determined by breed, I don't think schipperkes are the most snuggly of breeds, but they can be very affectionate and playful and want to be at your side because they are extremely loyal dogs.

They have that spunky, happy-go-lucky personality, and are basically a big dog in a small dog body. They're very sturdy and most seem to love to play with big dogs. The only thing on your list the breed conflicts with is the barky-ness. They were bred to be watch dogs, and will alert you if someone comes by, but can be trained to quiet down after the initial bark. They are full of energy and could definitely go on long walks and hikes.

Good luck narrowing down that list! smile
[notify]
Angel Lou

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 7:03pm PST 
Hello Jax, I do not believe I have seen you around Dogster before, so I am guessing you knew. So, first let me start off by saying welcome !

Before, I get into responding to your post. I wanted to say that Jax is such a gorgeous pup! I have never seen a cream colored Schipperke, always the black ones!

I do not mind if a dog barks at stray animals, people passing, loud noises. I was basically just I don't like barking to get attention, or barking just to bark. From what you have described of them, they seem like lovely dogs! To be honest, I have never looked much into depth on them...as they seemed to me to be A LOT of DOG. Basically, what we would look at as a Malnois. I am not sure where exactly I came to that assumption, but that'd be the reason. I am definitely going to check them out now though. Of-course the Hubby likes from what I have shown him of pictures.

Although, now he has seen the Alaskan Klee Kai. I told him that I want more of a lap dog...so who knows yet.
[notify]

Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 7:18am PST 
I think the breeds that would fit what you're looking for seamlessly are the Shih Tzu and Havanese. While Shih Tzus have a short snout, they don't typically have trouble breathing during outdoor activity if the coat is short and they don't get too hot. Bulldogs and Chins would have a hard time keeping up with you depending on how bad the dog's breathing issues were. I know some people would disagree, but I've never met a Bulldog that could hike in the summer without struggling for breath.

Gunther is friendly towards literally everyone and everything. Especially children and other dogs. He's the epitome of spunky and outgoing. He loves life. But he's not annoyingly enthusiastic. He's NOT vocal in the slightest. If something is outside, he'll let you know with a low "woof". He's protective of the home, but knows when something is a threat and when it isn't. Like for example, our landlord mowing the yard. Not a threat! Strange people outside yelling? A threat! He lets us know.

He was astonishingly easy to train really. Shih Tzus are VERY food motivated. If you act excited, and have some food with you, they will perform! Gunther is not hard to convince at all. He knows a ton of tricks and loves doing them. Housebreaking takes a lot of consistency and confinement with baby-gates. Also crating is a must.

I know your SO doesn't care for yappy breeds.. So I might add that all the dogs are your list excepting the Bulldog, Shih Tzu, and possibly Havanses are VERY vocal and have high-pitched barks. Most puggles I've met are extremely vocal, as Beagles are vocal to the max. I've also never known Yorkies to be good with kids at all. I had a Yorkie when I was a small child and she bit me more than once. We had to rehome her to a nice elderly couple. She was in heaven then.

Everyone likes to promote their own breed, but for your criteria, a Shih Tzu seems like a flawless fit to me. A lot of people are turned off by the coat, but grooming for a small dog isn't that expensive and doing it yourself is pretty easy.

Hope this helps!
[notify]
Angel Lou

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 8:58am PST 
Hi Gunther wave

Believe it or not, I was hoping for your input. As I am particularly drawn to Shih Tzu. I actually went down to PetSmart this previous Saturday, and met a lovely little male. He was very soft tempered, and just simply lovely. He was quite calm, yet he wasn't shy about wants a belly-rub wink. Is this typical for the breed, or her just an exceptional case?

We did indeed narrow down the list. This is the NO list: Schipperke, AKK, Japanese Chin, Chihuahua, Yorkies, Chinese Crested.
Although, we have ruled out bulldogs...only for now. They are just placed on the "Someday, but not for awhile list"...BOL Same goes for the Dachshunds.

So, our list is: Shih Tzu, Havanese, and Toy Poodle. We also looked into Brussel Griffons...then again they have short snouts.

Grant you we won't be getting a small dog for quite awhile. As we have our next dogs picked out. More of a just for fun thread.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 10:25am PST 
Not small as in teeny tiny, but the Swedish Valhund is charming. Would have to work on socialization.

Corgi's are also very nice...same issues basically as a Valhund with the protectiveness and slight aggressive tendencies. I have a Corgi mix that I got at the Humane Society and she is fine with most people and most dogs. But sometimes has a "Queen Bee" outlook on the world.

I mention because of the liking for Nordic types. To me, the Valhund does have a sort of mini-husky look.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 10:49am PST 
I love the little Griffon!cloud 9 Met the breed for the first time in March and fell in love straight away.

Have you thought about a Border Terrier? The most amenable in general of all the terriers in regards to their animal sociability. Lively, smart, a great hiking partner, good little family dogs.

The Cavalier is another suggestion.
[notify]
Angel Lou

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 11:41am PST 
Savannah- I haven't put much consideration into the Swedish Vallhund. Although, I did meet a lovely little brindle colored one, that a woman had imported from Europe. She was a VERY sweet dog indeed! I completely spaced about them, until you just mentioned. I will definitely check them out, now that you mentioned it! I have looked a bit into Corgis, but from the descriptions that people have put on here about them, they don't seem to fit quite right. thinking Looks like I got some researching to do!

Missy- The little black bearded Griffon that I met, was an absolutely doll as well! What a unique dog, definitely what I'd consider big dog in small dogs body. So adorable, but I wonder though if they can breath easier than say a Frenchie or a Japanese Chin...what do you think? I too have looked into Border Terries, I am totally in love with the breed. They are already on my, "To own one day" list.laugh out loud As many breeds are! Although, Cavaliers are adorable, they are not the puppy for me. For a while I was quite convinced that I was going to get the King Charles, which still is adorable, especially I love the Ruby colored! The health issues though scare me...more than bulldogs health issues do. confused
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 12:41pm PST 
I would say that if you want them with kids I would change it from a Toy poodle to a Mini poodle.
[notify]
Angel Lou

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 12:55pm PST 
I too was thinking that if we went with the Poodle choice a Miniature, may suit better than a Toy. I showed a picture of a Griffon though to my hubby, and he is just in love. laugh out loud I am quite shocked as normally he likes the thin muzzle, pointed ear breeds. While, he is over there in la-la land with the Griffon, which I think is utterly adorable as well. I can't help keep looking at the Havanese.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3