GO!

What is the best comb or brush for matted fur?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Cookie

Barked: Wed May 2, '12 7:07am PST 
I have a 15 month old Shihpoo who has become matted in spots. I'd like to keep up with it before he goes to get groomed again. What comb or brush is best that won't hurt him so much?
Thanks
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Wed May 2, '12 4:18pm PST 
I undercoat rake on Huck and a slickerbrush daily t keep him mat and tangle free.
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Wed May 2, '12 6:03pm PST 
Slicker brushes aren't the best for Shih Tzu fur, it damages and breaks it. You need a pin brush. Give him a bath, lather him up with a good conditioner, and gently work the mats out with his coat wet after he gets out. The best way to brush a Shih Tzu is with the coat conditioned, wet, and with a good pin brush. Preferably, you never brush a Shih Tzu when the coat is dry. Hope this helps!

ETA: Oh, I almost forgot. You want to bath him more often than you would other breeds. Part of the reason Shih Tzus mat so easily is because the coat needs to be kept clean. Every two or three weeks is best.

Edited by author Wed May 2, '12 6:06pm PST

[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 4:38am PST 
If his coat has matts and he is a shih tzu/poodle mix, DO NOT bathe him with those matts!! As a general rule, these mixes have extremely cottony coat and bathing the matt will actually felt it and it will be impossible to brush/comb out with ANY grooming tool.
These breeds are us groomers worst nightmare. A purebred shih tzu normally has silky hair which can be brushed/combed out normally. A poodle has curly hair which matts by curling and can be brushed/combed out. When you mix the two you often end up with those curls getting totally knotted up in that silky hair and, unless they are thoroughly brushed out prior to bathing, it becomes a major project to remove them.
In order to keep them longer they need daily brushing and bathing often to keep the hair clean so it won't clump and matt.
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 6:16am PST 
Good point Toto!! I was completely forgetting the pup was a mix. I'm glad you chimed in.
[notify]
Cookie

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 7:32pm PST 
Yes Toto....Cookie's hair is VERY cottony soft. He has a bunch of mats. He goes to the groomer on MOnday. I do bathe him quite often though.
[notify]
Cookie

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 7:37pm PST 
and by the way....his hair is not that long. He had a hair cut only 10 weeks ago. Ugh, will have to bring him more often or have her cut him even shorter.
[notify]
Miss Lola- Luftnagle

Solid Gold- Dancer

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 8:19pm PST 
As a groomer, I would like to suggest 3 things. A soft slicker, a metal comb with med/fine teeth, and some type of liquid silk protein. You can buy a product called Quicker Slicker from any Tractor Supply. I like Chris Christensen Silky Spirits, but it's basically the same thing. A little goes a looooong way. Rub about a pea size into a mat. Then try to split with your fingers. Work with a brush outside and them when you feel that it's out, run a comb through to make sure. You want to make sure you can comb down to the skin.
[notify]
Stormy Puppy- (Found a- home!)

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 11:36pm PST 
Toto you're so right. My family had a dog who was half "cockapoo" and she would mat if you looked at her funny. The mix between the curly and fuzzy coats equaled hair that was part curls, part waves and part straight.

Definitely don't bathe if they're matted it will just tighten up the mats.
For my fosters Shi Tzu I used a mat breaker for small tangles/mats but you need to be VERY careful as the mat breakers have sharp teeth.
[notify]
Mario

Its-ah Supah- Marrrio Time!

Barked: Sat May 12, '12 9:57pm PST 
I am a professional groomer. I always bathe dogs before their groom unless they are pelted and they need to be stripped. It is a myth that bathing makes mats tighten. Bathing and drying without doing a proper brushing and combing job makes mats tighten. Bathing, shampooing, conditioning (when needed), and gently line brushing while the coat is wet/damp preferably with some conditioner still in the coat (rinse after) works wonders for me. I also love The Coat Handler by Show Season to use as a maintenance spray (yes please never brush a dry coat) because of its lack of harmful silicone based ingredients like The Stuff.

I used to work in a shop where all the dogs were prepped and brushed before even going into the bathing/drying room. So much time wasted. I started to experiment (I was an independent contractor) and found through research as well as other long time groomer's experience, doing this is a big time waster. I only have to brush them once, do poodle feet/face once, over all the whole groom goes faster because I'm not wasting time going over what I did before the bath.

For the OP's question, a slicker brush and comb is best for matted fur if you are talking about general pet coat care. A pin brush won't cut it if the matting is more than minimal. I use a pin brush on Mario because his coat is so delicate, but if I tried to use the same brush on one of my shih tzu clients I would end up with bent pins. Les Pooch makes amazing slicker brushes if you are willing to spend the extra $$. They are worth it though.
[notify]