GO!

couple of questions....

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Max

Max aka Booboo's- -sissy's best- bud!

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 8:35pm PST 
Okay so I'm going to go out this weekend and get my furkids their own meat...smile I thought to start with a package of boneless/skinless chicken breasts and then move along to something with bone. Is that okay or should I start with bone in? What would be a good cut of meat with bone for a boxer and a pug to start off with. Its really hard for my mind to wrap around my dogs crunching bone even though I saw it on youtube and it looked completely satisfying! Is there anything I should add to that if they are getting blue wilderness and then raw chicken 2-3 times a week?

My hubby thinks we should start with beef? He says ground beef..thinking Umm..not so sure about that. I think because he is a beef lover...big laugh I think we should start with chicken....smile
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 8:41pm PST 
Bone-in chicken is usually a good starting place. Switching foods often causes loose stools initially and bone helps firm up stools. You may need to remove the skin at first. Beef is richer than chicken so I wouldn't use that as your first protein.

I'd avoid wings and backs as they're a little too bony but quarters for the Boxer and drumsticks for the Pug should work. You can also buy whole fryers and cut them up. Just make sure pieces are large enough that your dogs can't try to swallow them whole, give them something they have to chew up. Make sure you look for chicken that hasn't been enhanced.

Since you're new to raw, I'd give Chance's Beginner's Guide To Prey Model Raw a read through. It should help answer a lot of your questions.

Edited by author Thu Apr 26, '12 8:52pm PST

[notify]
Max

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 9:13pm PST 
thanks!!hail

Just another thought or two or 3 wink How long do ya'll wait to get kisses after they've ate their meaty goodness?? We are worried a little about bacteria contamination between the dogs and kids...am I overthinking it? lol Do most dogs use their paws or not to eat their food and chew the bone? The videos I've seen the dogs did not use their paws but Ive watched my dog chew pig ears/bones and they use their paws.... Do you have to clean them off afterwards?
[notify]

Max

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 9:16pm PST 
another thought! (I'm full of thoughts tonight!)...my pug will be able to chew through a drumstick as in eat all of it? shockshock If so wow...
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 9:23pm PST 
Some dogs use their paws to grip food, others not so much. Mine only use their paws when I'm feeding them something extra large.

I don't clean my dogs after they eat and I've never had an issue with anyone, dog or people, in my house getting sick from raw. I wash my hands, the cutting board I prepare meals on, and any knives I've used but that's it. This article talks about it in more details: Clicky

I would think your Pug would be capable of eating the bone in a drumstick but I've never fed a small breed raw. Someone with more experience in that area will probably chime in. You could also try chicken breast.

ETA: Went back and found pictures and video of Onyx (German Shepherd) eating chicken breast at 8 weeks old and drumsticks at 9 weeks. It took him a lot longer to get through the bone when he was that small but he could do it. He also used his paws to hold it back then because it was somewhat large in comparison to him.

Edited by author Thu Apr 26, '12 9:40pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 9:53pm PST 
Max is very neat about eating but I will wipe his face and feet with a damp rag if needed. It is just meat and I prepare it often, wash up same as any other meal. He usually eats outside on the grass and I figure the sun and critters in the soil will go a long way to cleaning up anything he misses.

Beef is more expensive but Max's favorite. My all time favorite beef meal is BBQ beef back ribs left in a rack. Max gets the whole thing as a really big meal or 2 as a regular sized meal and has the best time pulling the meat off this natural food puzzle. It is doubly expensive because most of the bone is thrown away and not eaten unlike chicken. Max says go for it if your husband really wants them to get beef.
[notify]
Tia

Ok - lets cuddle

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '12 5:38am PST 
Second the beef ribs! We found some short beef ribs on sale and bought a couple of pounds. The dogs loved them! We let them grind down to about 1/2 the bone, and then took it away. Bandit is a pug/beagle mix, about 25 lbs. He only got 1 bone in the set, otherwise it'd be too much for 1 meal (weight-wise).
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '12 7:41am PST 
I don't mean short ribs. This have a knobby end that can be chewed on safely, are curved a little and are 5-8" long or so. The short ribs I see are well, short, and cut at both ends.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '12 12:23pm PST 
Few links to read up on
http://preymodelraw.com/how-to-get-started/

So your interested in raw
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/431875

Ra w feeding spreadsheet this helpful at getting started on how much to feed.
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/491589

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/737490

http:// www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/718349

Bone in chicken is best to start with.

Beef can be the second protein once they're used to eating chicken..

Bella uses her paws sometimes if a meal is hard to work with, but usually she doesn't if she does I just wipe her paws with with a mix of vinegar and water is good way to clean and is natural. I wipe her floppy boxer lips too, but most times after while she'll clean her lips with no issue, but if I want her inside sooner I clean her. Her ears once got blood on it so if the boxer is floppy eared you can wipe those or use a snood thingy..
laugh out loud

Saya eats without her paws, but for a meal like beef ribs she eats with her paws to tear every bit of meat off.
[notify]