GO!

Question about Certification if leaving US

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Sat Apr 21, '12 10:11pm PST 
Ok, so I have read and read and read...and can't find an answer, so I figured this would be the BEST place to ask smile

I know that in the USA a SD doesn't have to be certified, however if leaving the country and going into Canada, or the UK the SD needs to be certified.

So, my question....Does a Service Dog training facility have the ability to actually "real" certify the service dog?? THis is a dog that is going to an autistic child, and is an autistic trained service dog. In the contract it states that the dog will be "certified" but, as I have been reading online everything I possibly can (filtering out all the schemes) and the last thing I could find was a "trainer" can not certify the dog, it has to come from a separate company.

I am sooo hoping and praying that someone here will know the answer to this, or lead me in the direction to find it smile

Thanks, and I am glad to be apart of this community wave
[notify]
Max-SD

https://www.face- book.com/Sequoia- sMaximum

Barked: Sun Apr 22, '12 7:03am PST 
What's wrong with the trainer certifying the dog? An online faker maker site can't do it. Also try googling Foundation for Service Dog Support.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sun Apr 22, '12 8:01am PST 
Some countries require the dog be certified through ADI or some other organization that they recognize while others have even stricter standards. For example, in Japan an American ADI program dog would have to be PAT tested monthly while a Japanese program dog doesn't.

There are plenty of countries that only recognizer SDs for some disabilities and not others; South Korea is one such country. Last I checked they were looking at teams on a case by case basis; they only have one program that deals strictly with Guides and Hearing dogs. Also, some countries don't recognize dogs that are meant for triad use (where a 3rd party is the handler/facilitator) or otherwise have strict age limits.

Certain parts of Canada require specific certification; you'd have to check with the Providence the animal would be living in for more detailed info. The UK is more restrictive.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Apr 22, '12 11:25am PST 
Thanks smile. I was posting meaning Vacation, sorry I should have stated that!!!
About the trainer doing it, that was something I read on a google search (that now I can't find), saying they can't actually "certify" the dog as a form that would hold up to a real certification. More like here's your paper "certification" that I acnoloage...but wouldn't work to visit the UK (we have family there).

Thanks again smile
[notify]

Barked: Sun Apr 22, '12 11:45am PST 
Thanks smile. I was posting meaning Vacation, sorry I should have stated that!!!
About the trainer doing it, that was something I read on a google search (that now I can't find), saying they can't actually "certify" the dog as a form that would hold up to a real certification. More like here's your paper "certification" that I acnoloage...but wouldn't work to visit the UK (we have family there).

Thanks again smile
[notify]

Barked: Sun Apr 22, '12 12:05pm PST 

Thanks again smile
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '12 1:31am PST 
If going to Canada on vacation, the dog does not have to be certified. There is an agreement between the US and Canada that a service dog that is a legal service dog in the US is legal in Canada if the handler in visiting. However, they require a doctor's note. I know the UK did require ADI certification but I have heard rumors that that's changing. I don't know any details though.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '12 4:01am PST 
Harley, can you cite your sources? Last I heard, the only thing that has changed about the UK has been their import requirements as far as wait times.
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '12 5:03am PST 
The UK thing is something I just heard rumor of in another forum. I don't know any details or have anything concrete. Canada I have seen but it's been a while and I will have to go dig it back up. I will post the link when I find it. It is on Dogster.....somewhere.
[notify]
BALOO

Sniffy Pants- Baloo

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '12 7:12am PST 
Ontario, Canada no longer requires certification unless it is a Guide Dog. A letter from a Doctor or RN is all that is required. The dog must only be "readily apparent" as a service dog. Wearing a harness or vest identifying the dog as a service dog.

Please read the Customer Service Standard Guide Section on Service Dogs and Attendents. www.aoda.ca
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2