GO!

My dog has EPI

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Nala

Im a character

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '12 11:11am PST 
I just wanted to make people aware of this. I have a 4yr old German Shepherd and she has always had a hard time to putting on and keeping weight. Ive fed her grain free foods and while things remained fine for a few months she will one day eventually have stomach issues. Well the last time this happened was the final straw for me. She lost 5-6 lbs in a week and couldn’t digest her food (threw up and didn’t have the urge to eat). I read online about GS being prone to something called EPI so i went to a new vet and had them do a blood test to look for EPI. A few days later got the results and sure enough she had EPI. So for the last 5 weeks I have taken her for b12 shots once a week and have given her Tylan Powder, and two different enzymes. She has gained a pound every week, and no longer had digestion issues. Here is the site where ive found allot of useful information

http://www.epi4dogs.com
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '12 11:21am PST 
Good for her for having it diagnosed! At least EPI can be treated with very good success!
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '12 11:49am PST 
hug Nala. I had been worried about Squam for a long time. Adding Prozyme to his diet did the trick, so I did not do the cTLI test. Knowing what is going on must be a relief. Hopefully you can manage Nala's EPI & she can live a good life. These are two of my fave links for EPI.
epi link
dog aware
[notify]

Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '12 5:40pm PST 
Kali's breeder rescued a King Shepherd that has EPI. They've had her for a few years now and she's thriving. As long as you know what it is, then 1/2 the battle is won. Good luck with Nala.
[notify]
Nala

Im a character

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 5:17am PST 
thanks guys and thanks for the links. Im very happy and looking forward to seeing nala thrive over the next few weeks
[notify]