GO!

Do you, or have you ever, regretted choosing your dog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 11:39am PST 
Just out of curiousity, and this goes for anyone with any dog, if you had it to do over again, would you choose differently?

I have a friend who saw a cute border collie/australian cattle dog cross in a shelter and brought him home. At eight weeks, he was an adorable, speckly bundly of sweet fluff. At 7 months, he's a holy terror who has a very strong herding instinct. I've met him, and I think he'd be better off on a farm or with someone who is *seriously* into agility or fly ball.

She is overwhelmed and while he's very easy to train, she just can't keep up with him. She says that if she had it to do over again, she'd go with a retriever type dog over a herding dog. I think she'd do best with a laid back spaniel type, honestly. smile

As for me, I don't regret my dog for a second and I know I made the right choice by bringing her home. She and I are a perfect fit for each other. I looked into breeds for a long time and got to know alot of breeders and dogs, and so I knew what I was bringing home.

There have been times when I have just had to remind myself, "She's just a little dog. She's just a little dog." LOL like it's a mantra or something, but for the most part everything has come up roses.

So, what about you all?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 11:48am PST 
I haven't regretted my choice ever. I did years of research,looked into many breeds,honestly acessed my and my husbands lifestyle and what we could handle before we decided on our Akitas. They work well with our lifestyle,for their size don't require tons of exercise,are generally quiet and although they can be stubborn and willful there are ways to work with it provided you are able to be firm. If everyone did their research,honestly looked at their lifestyle,and then chose from the breeds that fit into that lifestyle instead of falling for a puppy's looks,and Akita puppies are VERY cute,there would be alot less need for shelters since if done right,both dog and person are happy,knowing what you are getting into and being prepared for the worst while striving to bring out the best in both yourself and your pup is the way to go.way to gohug
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 11:57am PST 
I got the breed right but I waivered when it came to finding a breeder so I got a rescue mix. I don't like the breed she's mixed with and I don't like how her previous life affected her.

As a pet she's AWESOME, the BEST, don't regret it. But at some point I'll need a second dog as my more serious competition partner.
[notify]

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 12:01pm PST 
Not in the slightest. Lucille's turned out to be an excellent match for the whole family, the activities that we like to do together. I could bore y'all by bragging all day about how well things have turned out. big grin

Those with regrets that I have spoken to...it honestly all comes down to a lack of any sort of breed research, impulse buys, not being prepared to raise a dog in the first place, and more rarely, someone has misrepresented the dog in question.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 12:09pm PST 
Meh, I took Fynny out of guilt and feeling the pull of family obligation more than anything.

I love him but I will NEVER own another Miniature Pinscher again (knock on wood). I knew plenty about the breed, and I was plenty prepared to own him. I also knew what I was getting into, they're just not as much my cup of tea as other breeds are.
[notify]
Roxie

BOING!

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 12:10pm PST 
I didn't actually choose Roxie, but I do kind of regret keeping her.. I have to keep my girls seperated at all times because at 6 months old, Roxie started fighting with my Trixie girl.. I didn't TRUST anybody else with her though, and the only people I could trust couldnt have a dog aggressive dog!

Shes a sweetheart on her own though, and I couldnt imagine rehoming her now !
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 12:23pm PST 
I constantly have a feeling of 'eek good dawg, just why?!?!?'.......

...but I don't regret it... puppy
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 1:35pm PST 
I do wish Nicky was a little less work. I wasn't really looking for a project dog as a first dog. I wouldn't have it any other way, though.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 1:43pm PST 
Savannah was a handful, and she was my second Labrador. The first one was a mix...with Malamute I think. Which wouldn't have made her any easier to deal with, but she did seem to have more sense.

Savannah was a wrecking ball, and I did have some "Oh, no!" moments. But we got past them and it was worth the effort.
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 1:57pm PST 
Never. The Shih Tzu is perfect for me. Someday, I want another German Shepherd, or maybe a dog to do serious Agility with, but Gunther is everything I want at this stage in my life.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8