GO!

pitbulls are not bad dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '12 6:17pm PST 
I have two APBT, and every time I walk them I have people that pull there dogs away thinking my dogs bite. It just shows me how people are not informed of the real story about APBT, and the true history. Back in the day APBT was used as baby sitter. They would look after your children while you was gone at the store. APBT are very people friendly that's why they are not that good as guard dogs. Don't get me wrong they will protect your family but as far as guarding you house like a german shep or a rott,APBT are made differently. To those people who feel they should be banned, do your research on the breed first before you open your mouth

Edited by author Thu Mar 29, '12 9:47am PST

Approved by forums moderator
Wyatt

RATS, give me- RATS!

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '12 6:30pm PST 
I think pit bulls are great dogs and have known many wonderful ones but I also know their power and having small dogs I have no desire to allow your pit bull to come up to my dog's face to say "hi" while we are out walking on a leash, thank you very much, but then I feel that way about all strange dogs that are on leash. I think breed bans are stupid and bans should actually be on stupid people not on the breed of dogs.
[notify]
Red

Just a big baby- ;)

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '12 6:49pm PST 
They do make wonderful pets with the right home, but can be disasters in the wrong hands. I am completely against banning of any breed but do agree with stronger enforcement as to the people that can own them.
[notify]

Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '12 12:17am PST 
In my opinion, Pitties are some of the smartest, most athletic dogs I've ever known. When raised with love and affection, they are absolutely awesome family dogs. When they are not raised well...you now have an incredibly smart, strong dog that tends to be incredibly tenancious...and that is not a good combination.

"Bad" isn't a result of the breed, it's a result of the upbringing and also the care given the puppies when they are still with the momma dog.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '12 5:01am PST 
I have known quite a few pitbulls. I personally do not own one because I do not have the energy/physical ability required to raise them well. That does not mean that I think they are bad dogs or should be banned,far from it. I do however believe as others have said that they need to be in the right hands with someone who can raise them properly. I believe that is true of any breed and I also own a very misunderstood breed that fortunately has not had the same media exposure. I did a ton of research,thought very carefully and sought help and advice before considering bringing an Akita into my home. I am currently raising my second and third Akitas with no problems or issues.
As long as someone goes into raising their chosen breed well informed,well researched,and with careful thought,I believe any breed can be a wonderful pet. There should not be breed bans instead we should all educate ourselves on all aspects of any breed we are considering,then really look at our lifestyle and what we expect from a dog and make a well informed,carefully considered decision,and do right by the dog,then maybe just maybe by taking our responsibilities seriously we will no longer need BSL,AC,or animal shelters and all dogs can have the wonderful forever homes they deserve with people who truly love them,no matter what the breed.
[notify]
Grunt CGC

WWGD or What- Would Grunt Do?

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 12:46pm PST 
Grunt is just 11 mo and people tend to shy away from him already! naughty So I understand you're frustration. When I would walk Turner people would grab their children away from him. I would thank them for taking the scary, vicious children away from by dog! laugh out loudlaugh out loud But, every once in a while you will meet someone who will love on your dog. Other people will walk by and look confused - those are the moments you live for! flowers
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 1:56pm PST 
If someone with a pittie ever sees me dragging Charlie away from their dog, it's because of one of two possible reasons, neither of which having to do with the pitbull.

a) Charlie is very leash reactive, so if he reacts, he doesn't get the reward of greeting - if he behaves, he can say hello.

b) Charlie's met many bully breeds, adults, puppies, altered and not altered, etc, and he simply doesn't like them. He's gone after every pittie he's met and I think it may be that he's intimidated by them, because the dogs he met did not do anything to trigger him, he simply decided he didn't like them or want anything to do with them.

I've owned pitties all my life and I'm completely against BSL. Obviously, as Charlie's quote says "BSL - Educate, don't discriminate." But I don't own one right now because Charlie is very, very extremely picky when it comes to bully breeds(please note that these can be bulldogs, staffies, apbt's, or even select mastiffs). I'm not sure why, as he never had any bad experiences with them that I am aware of, but may have when he was a puppy before I got him at eight months old.

My fiance brought home a stray APBT and wanted to keep him, because he was a VERY calm, docile dog who was a total baby and my fiance loved his temperament(only if we couldn't find the owners of course), but after Charlie attacked him(the pittie just stood there like nothing happened) and decided he didn't like this strange dog, it was no longer a go and it was the last pittie he has been up close and personal with.

I'd love to own some more pitties in my future, but they will sadly have to be after Charlie.

I agree though. EDUCATE, don't discriminate. People need to realize that these dogs are NOT bad dogs at all - it's the humans that breed, raise and train them or lack thereof, or abuse and neglect them.

BSL
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 2:56pm PST 
I love pitties, but if I have Bianca and we see another dog while out walking, I generally will call Bianca close to me and not let her approach the other dog. This has nothing to do with the breed of the other dog.
So if you saw me you might think I am keeping my dog away because your dog is a pit bull but it's actually because my dog has a history of leash reactivity (NOT aggression.) So I generally don't let her go up to any strage dog unless the owner asks if the dogs can say hi, and in that case I may let Bianca approach depending on how she is acting and on her body language.
If I'm on my own (ie without Bianca) and in public and run into a pittie though, I very likely will ask if I can pet him/her. smile
[notify]
Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 10:27pm PST 
Yeah.. I avoid letting my dogs greet other dogs on-leash too, though it doesn't have to do with what breed they are. I'm wary of all strange dogs--especially if they're showing a lot of interest in meeting mine, I take that as a big red flag, and am definitely going to cross the street to avoid a meeting if I have to.

Ava used to be leash-reactive and still is to some extent, but it's gotten better. At this point it's just safer for me to assume any and every dog we pass is going to be a problem, and avoid them, than to assume other dogs will be fine and allow any bad experiences to slip through and set Ava back.

There is one thing though, that I wish pit bull advocates would pay more attention to: yes they were bred to be great with people, and they are, for sure! but it's also important to remember that they were bred to fight other dogs. They DO have that tendency for dog-aggression, which is important to always remember, and why it's also extremely important to socialize and set them up for success--only happy experiences with other dogs. Just one fight could ruin your pup's trust in other dogs for a lifetime. I know SO many pit bulls who are awesome with people, but at the same time are eager to brawl with other dogs. I don't mean that in a mean way at all. I like pit bulls. It's just a little pet peeve of mine when pit bull people ignore or even deny that part of their breed's history. smile

Edited by author Thu Mar 29, '12 10:29pm PST

[notify]
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 12:38am PST 
"There is one thing though, that I wish pit bull advocates would pay more attention to: yes they were bred to be great with people, and they are, for sure! but it's also important to remember that they were bred to fight other dogs. They DO have that tendency for dog-aggression, which is important to always remember, and why it's also extremely important to socialize and set them up for success--only happy experiences with other dogs. Just one fight could ruin your pup's trust in other dogs for a lifetime. I know SO many pit bulls who are awesome with people, but at the same time are eager to brawl with other dogs. I don't mean that in a mean way at all. I like pit bulls. It's just a little pet peeve of mine when pit bull people ignore or even deny that part of their breed's history."

THANK YOU! I have to say this over and over, and I actually get bashed for it by people who believe that it's purely nurture that determines a dog's personality. You said exactly what I would have said! applause
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15