GO!

Dog Weight

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Bear

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 6:47pm PST 
I have a 1 year old English Mastiff. He is 160 pounds and I think 2 1/2 to 3 foot tall. The previous owner said he eats 10 cups of food a day. I feed him that but he still looks skinny to me. He is in good health and has no problems with digestive system. The food I feed him is Perina One Smart Blend. Am I feeding him enough.
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 6:53pm PST 
If you feed a higher quality food you'll have to feed him less. Also, you want him skinny. He looks fine to me.
[notify]
Bear

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 6:59pm PST 
I no he looks good in the pic but that was right after he ate. A few hours after he eats you can see his ribs is that healthy.
[notify]

Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 7:14pm PST 
Depends. It would help to see more pictures. You should be able to easily feel a dog's ribs. With most breeds you don't want to see them constantly, but with movement it's generally good to see some ribs.

Try googling dog obesity charts.

It's always better to err on the side of thin than too thick.

My Abner always looks pretty thin. He has a lot of rib visibility, but that's part of his really odd build. I want him to be lean because of his shape.

I feed Taste of the Wild, but there are plenty of high quality foods you can choose that will provide your dog with more nutrition per kibble than purina.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 7:51pm PST 
Being able to faintly see some ribs is fine for most short haired dogs. I can see ribs on both of mine when they move the right way. Like Abner said, a little thin is much healthier than a little fat.

Also agree with considering a different food. The So You Are Confused By Dog Food thread is a good place to start.
[notify]
Wyatt

RATS, give me- RATS!

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 8:09pm PST 
WOW 10 cups of food, he eats as much as my 3 dogs combined eat for 3 days, lol. I think go with a more protein dense food, you may find you dont have to feed him that much. I can only imagine what your dog food bill is. eek
[notify]
Seth

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 3:37pm PST 
At on year of age, they have not completely filled out yet. Very often you will see their ribs because they are still growing. You may find that he may eat a bit less when he gets to be about three. My bigger dogs have did this. I am notn a big fan or anything purina, so maybe feeding a better food with not as much by-products, corn and fillers, you may be able to cut back on the food.
[notify]
Orley

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 7:24pm PST 
Food in the belly is not going to effect the covering on a dogs ribsthinking

I am sure he is not to skinny being able to see some ribs is fine. Here is an article that describes how to assess a dogs weight.

http://www.caninesports.com/fatdogs.html
[notify]