GO!

who says Huskies are stubborn and untrainable? I'm not

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hayllo

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 2:04pm PST 
Ive read about alot on some peeps that Huskies like us are stubborn and hard to train ( well hehe sometimes im guilty of stubbornness -- but not as much excuse me) happy dancehappy dancehappy dance Hard to train??? well not smile
my tricks are pretty much basic and aint that furpect but we can be train smile (look at my video smile
and still wanna learn more.... (and thinking on Frisbee thinking thinking any advise on how to train Frisbee?)
Please share what your furkid Huskies can do for a treat smile
[notify]
Jazmine- *Jazzy*

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 4:02pm PST 
Well she knows sit, wait (till I allow her out of the car and when crossing the street), she walks pretty well on a leash especially in public, we are learning down! She's still stubborn though definitely not Golden easy to teach, I like the husky intelligence to teach her with it's awesome!
[notify]
Hayllo

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 7:49pm PST 
applauseapplauseapplause yup thats cool... they are kinda different .. and very challenging smile but i pays well when they learn smile kudos to all huskies!!! wohooo
[notify]

Balto - Semi-Retire- d SD

Oldie Toadie <3

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 9:15am PST 
Huskies can be stubborn but, you take into account all the bookwork homework (as a pet parent) BEFORE getting the dog, finding the right veterinarian (husky savvy and thinks of the client and furry patient 1st and foremost BEFORE money) and a good dog obedience training club you will do very well as a husky and a pet parent. Husky probably are not good for a 1st time owner but, hay you just never know you just might luck out with a great husky w/ an awesome temperament and personality. Balto was my 1st husky however I took 5 yrs to find out as much as I could find specifically on the AKC Siberian Husky before my parents would even consider letting me have a puppy, (teen pup @ 6 mos old)they wanted to make sure that I knew everything I could and wanted me to learn responsibility as a teenager. Balto is 11 yrs old now and is in excellent health. Neutering and spaying at an early age also helps as it cuts down on the over population of strays in shelters and/or on the streets, and it helps prevent cancer and other health issues in that area, as well as helps cut down on the hormone levels. Brushing teeth, even if its just with a regular human toothbrush (new) and water is better than not at all and yes, some huskies are more prone to intestinal (stomach) upsets aka food allergies, so really gotta watch out for those. Obedience training should be a must, and always do research on "energy" outlet ideas to help keep the husky under control, and happy and many are "escape" artists because they love to run and its been bred into them to do so. Bike safety extension for a mountain bike, (like the one I have is fairly inexpensive and heavy duty for the "puller" huskies. IWPA- International Weight Pull Association www.iwpa.net is an awesome "energy" outlet for the "pullers". Huskies also can be excellent in Agility, you just never know what you get in a husky. Some can even be trained for Service Dog work w/ the right amount of socialization from a very young age, proper food, vet care, obedience instruction and getting into the right service dog forums online. And yes, its been naturally bred into a husky to not like swimming because its more so a survival thing in the frozen north lands but, when you have one that has a heat sensitivity, teaching them to not necessarily like it but, to at the most tolerate is very good. So no, I do not believe that huskies are "stubborn and untrainable" Bonding with your pet parent right off the bat, (sometimes clicks right away and others it takes awhile) is very helpful. Yes, huskies can be but, all of the most of the ones Balto and I have come across are pretty mildly stubborn. Untrainable, I think it also depends on the obedience instructor and/or the pet parent and if they are willing to deal with/put up with all the harassment, demeaning, dog breed discrimination propaganda BS from the instructor(s) and keep pushing forward being stubborn as a pet parent themselves. 9-10 yrs ago most of my obedience instructors for Balto from Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced were like that and the more they were the more Balto and I got stubborn and pushed forward just to prove them wrong. *chuckles* Balto is my semi-retired Service Dog. I am epileptic, amongst other disabilities. - Balto's Mama
[notify]
Gracie

Tricks ? - You can't be- serious.....

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 9:45am PST 
Hayllo - great video - watched it while having lunch @ work & loved it! Our Gracie can do some tricks & follow basic commands so I totally am in awe of the video and the attention your girl gives you! Think after about a minute Gracie would have (1) knocked me to the ground (accientially of course) & taken the treats; or (2) gave her usual "I'm disgusted" snorts and walked off! Food is a great motivator for her, but there are some days when she just cannot be bothered and is quite vocal about it! Usualy we tell people "that's the 'roid's talking"!! hamster dance
[notify]
Hayllo

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 4:30pm PST 
Wow!!! very impressive story Balto smile applauseapplauseapplause we are so glad and honored to hear such wonderful words smile Hayllo only had puppy class when she was 9 weeks.. but the instructor was very much impressed for all that he taught in the puppy class Hayllo already knew and he was giving us tips on advance class smile .. havent returned to classes after the Puppy class (coz on some family matters) so we just continue teaching her by our selves at Home.. and happily she is improving with some new tricks... she's now into keeping her toys in the bucket thingy hehehe .. dancing and thanks also for watching her video.. will post more soon... daw she had potential the day we got her at 8 weeks... she could recognize TV movements already and she is really watching... not a talker but she will response if you start asking her.. smile HAIL TO ALL HUSKIES!!!
[notify]
Hayllo

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 4:35pm PST 
HI GRacie... thanks for the lovely comment smile... Hayllo also have her "own" times.. and could be bothered .. but we are the "pushy ones" hehehe.. wont stop telling her until we get atleast 1 response for her smile hihihihihi.. so she knew already that we wont stop until she does it ... hehehehe ...but not that too pushy ofcourse hehe... but still she's still craving for more new things... aint purfect.. but still learning smile
[notify]
Jazmine- *Jazzy*

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 6:02pm PST 
That is cool! I definitely relate to people saying they aren't trainable. They are, you just can't train a Husky like a Golden and expect the Husky to want to please you every second of the day.

To Balto, I'm so totally sending you a pawmail. Jazzy is working on becoming a Psychiatric Service Dog. Right now she is an ESA while we work through some mild dog reactivity and her excitement in stores (which I'm sure is tame compared to a lot of dogs). Then she will graduate to a Service Dog In Training. For now we are enjoying getting to know and trust each other more. Going camping tomorrow.
[notify]
Sakari

Divas can get- dirty too !

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 7:56am PST 
My Sibe is much better trained than my Aussie/Golden mix. She is quicker to respond to commands and just has a better attitude when it comes to training.

She is trained in both basic and advanced obedience, has gotten her Canine Good Citizen award, and she is also a trained and licensed pet therapy dog.

She has 100% recall indoors and about 85% recall outdoors which we are still working on. We are making huge progress and yesterday I was able to call her off a bird, yes she loves her wild bird chasing!

She also does a few tricks such as hi5 shake smile she knows how to use the ice maker on the fridge when she wants an ice cube and she has self trained herself to alert my diabetes

I love my Sibe!!!
[notify]
Hayllo

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 2:42pm PST 
cheercheercheer true!!! Hayllo definitely loves ice cubes... and some sled dog breeders suggest also that we could give her frozen iced meat smile like Popsicle .. spring is coming and its getting hot smile and will definitely try the iced ground beef smile yum yum ..... and definitely when Hayllo sees a yummy treat.. she would manage to perform right away what she knows .... and will out smart us prior the commands smile hahahahha dancingdancingdancing
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2