GO!

Information on Staghounds?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ke$ha - ADOPTED!!!

I am so sweet &- curious! ADOPT- ME!!! ♥

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '12 2:14pm PST 
I was recently told that my foster dog, Ke$ha, could be a Staghound instead of a Greyhound. I have searched the internet high and low for reliable information about Staghounds, but can't seem to find any information on them, except a little paragraph here and there about how they are not a purebred dog. From my understanding they are Greyhounds crossed with Catahoula or Scottish Deerhound or something similar. All the pictures I come across of Staghounds are shaggy dogs, and Ke$ha has a smooth short coat.

Can anyone give me all the information they know about Staghounds? And tell me if they think Ke$ha is a Greyhound or a Staghound?

Thanks! smile
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '12 6:37pm PST 
Hello, a stag hound can be a mix of many different hounds with wolf or deer hounds and are bred for hunting, in my country they are used mainly on pigs. In the UK they are called a Lurcher and for a long time here they were known as the kangaroo hound and even taken to dog shows! The most popular cross for the kanga in these days was the Scottish Deer hound and greyhound which was considered the true 'breed' but these days, particularly in the states, you see all sorts of mixes including catahoula and they are all staghounds.

So if your dog is a greyhound mixed with another hound it could be considered a staghound but it isn't a true breed as such. The truest lurcher and the usual mix is the deer/grey mix in which you get a large shaggy dog with a sighthound head.

Hope that helps smile
[notify]
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '12 9:33pm PST 
Well, she's not likely a purebred Greyhound, if she's a merle... as far I know, that gene is just not found in Greys.
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '12 10:20pm PST 
Ginger is right, she's definitely not pure. She looks to have some other sight hound in her. Possibly low content deerhound as her coat is still very short.
[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 2:33am PST 
Could she be a dilute brindle? Does this even exist?

Ke$ha, I'll dig the link out for you but there are some health things to consider if she has a Marl carrying breed in her. Breeding a marl with a another marl produces some pretty horrible side effects. If she's as healthy as she looks she's probably missed out on them though. The information may be a good thing to have in future as by the look of it you foster dogs?
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 5:14am PST 
Lurchers are amazing dogs. My Ty is one! Just goes to show you how diverse their looks, size and breed mixes can be.

I've never heard the term Staghound before but doing a quick search does appear to show they are what we call a longdog.
[notify]
Ke$ha - ADOPTED!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 6:05am PST 
Yes, I am aware she is not purebred and I am aware Greyhounds don't come in Merle. I was thinking she is a Dilute Merle as that's what I was told as well. She seems very healthy as far as we can tell, aside from kennel cough that she caught at the pound. She will be spayed by the end of this month before she is adopted out. She will get an exam and her vaccinations at the time of her spay appointment. She is on antibiotics for the kennel cough and has 1 day left of them and is coughing less frequently now. We need to make sure she is completely healthy before she goes under for the spay surgery.

Yes, Dunlop, please do give me that link. I do foster dogs and it would be helpful. Like I said, she seems healthy and can hear and see fine and doesn't seem deformed in anyway. So I think she missed out on those health problems caused by Merle-Merle breedings.

Thanks for the information! Keep it coming. I am interested in learning more about Staghounds smile
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 6:28am PST 
ETA: The coat pattern could be an unusual brindle. I've seen some that look merle-like on purebred greys, but it's just an oddly patterned brindle.

Anyway, staghounds are just a sight hound mix. Unless someone is calling a Scottish deerhound a 'stag hound', which could be the case. As already mentioned, in the UK sighthound mixes tend to be called 'lurchers'. Greys are too slight in build to take down anything much bigger than a rabbit, but they're the most common sighthound. So they're bred with another breed that is larger in bone if someone is looking to have a fast dog that also can hunt prey that is a bit larger. As a mixed breed, they're not recognized by any kennel clubs that I'm aware of.

There are already Scottish deerhounds and Irish wolfhounds, both sighthounds bred to take down large prey.

Edited by author Mon Mar 12, '12 6:32am PST

[notify]
Ke$ha - ADOPTED!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 10:28am PST 
So, she's Brindle instead of Merle? I know it's hard to tell unless you can see the dog in person. I am no good at coat colors, so I am clueless on what her colors and patterns are called. She is a creamy white color with black markings, is what I call it, LOL.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 1:19pm PST 
No, I think she's actually a merle. Just a light one. Google "fawn merle" and I think you'll recognize some of the images. I agree with Lucille that some light brindles can look similar, but your dog has irregular patches of dark-tipped hairs, and I think the dark markings around her muzzle are the remains of a black mask.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2