GO!

The right breed??

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Meeka

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 10:01pm PST 
I have been researching nreeds from benji's to rots, dobes, and sibes. At forst i planned on getting a sibe but after much research i decided the the risk of having them pff leash was too great so I am now unsure. I curently have a shepher/lab mox and she does great off leash amd with other dogs.

I have decided that instead of a rescue i would lile a purebred puppy for my next dog. I am a very capable trainer amd am active person. I jog, hike and camp often and where a live most of these things are in areas that have no leash paws.

So my question is what breed? I would like a dog that is trustworthy off leash and good with other dogs. I would like the dog to be anywhere from 30 to 80 lbs ish (im not too picky on size kjust not huge or tiny). Also i like the look of shephetds, dobes, spirz, sibes, etc. So not a fan of poodles or pharoh hound looks. I have done a lot of looking on this site and others but i cannot decide.

This is my first post and any and all feedback is appreciated ao thanls!
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 11:05pm PST 
If you like German Shepherds, you could certainly find one to fit your needs. They're good off-leash (with training of course) and most are good with other dogs (if well-bred and properly socialized as puppies.)

While many are over 80 lbs, especially pet-bred "old fashioned" types, the original GSD was a medium-large dog and many breeders still hold true to that type. Females will be at the smaller end of the range of course.

Keeshonds and Norwegian Elkhounds are probably the most biddable, least willful/independent of the Spitz types. They can be trained to be off-leash and are not so crazy about running as the sledding breeds. Samoyeds might work too but are little more energetic with drive to run, still less than most Sibes though.
[notify]
Angel Lou

Everybody wants- to be a...DOG!- not a CAT

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 6:25am PST 
Hi Meeka! wave Warm Welcome to Dogster!

Now, for a response to your post. I definitely agree with Bruno, that a German Shepherd would suit your needs pretty well. All, I have met are good off-lease, with proper training, and fairly good with dogs and other animals, as long as they are socialized with them from early-puppy hood, as needed with every dog.

I did also think that a Brittany Spaniel, may suit your needs as well, seeing as you are a fairly active person. They are a bit more of a "softer" breed I'd say than the German Shepherd, but they aren't soft as as a Golden. What I mean by soft is, they have softer temperament, not training ability bol... They are definitely smaller than the Shepherd. I'd say they range between 35lb-45lb, just a range, some can be bigger. Everyone, I've met has been good with dogs, and seem to have a nice bubbly look on life.

Good Luck in your hunt! wishes
[notify]

Meeka

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 9:12am PST 
Thanks for the responses! German shepherd is definatly at the top of.my list. So do you think an elkhound is the closest you can get to a sibe without worrying too much about prey drive and such? Also two other breeds i like wefe rhodesian ridgeback and a basenji but i read that niether can be trusted offeSh u.less in an enclosed are, any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Edit: on a sidenote i live in a place with cold snowy winters amd fairly hot summers if that matters. Elkhounds look like they might not do too well hiking in 80-90 degrees (not always that bad but often enough)

Edited by author Sat Mar 10, '12 9:16am PST

[notify]
Buddy

Moms Handsome- Prince

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 9:52am PST 
Just wanted to note the size of a German Shepherd. My male is 95 lbs and is NOT pet stock or "old fashioned". His mother weighed in at 75 or so. He is DDR/East German with some West German 2 generations back on his dams side and Czech 2 generations back on his sires side. These dogs were not bred to be over sized and while I don't remember exact weights I do recall that the 3 imports who were the foundation of this line and were 100% East German were not small dogs. I would guess that the male was roughly the same size as Buddy.
[notify]
Meeka

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 12:35pm PST 
Ya i have seen all sizes of shepherds smaller than Meeka (60 lbs) and some nearly twice her size so i spose if i researched the breeder I could get the size of shepherd i wanted.

Any input on my last post? smile
[notify]
Buddy

Moms Handsome- Prince

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 1:01pm PST 
The only Elkhound I have any experience with was eventually placed with a runner. Calgary is known for extreme temperatures and Storm never seemed bothered by it. He went running daily with his new parents and no unusual precautions seemed necessary.
[notify]
Meeka

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 5:14pm PST 
Thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated! I think I'm going to research the elkhound more maybe talk to some breeders and keep german shepherd in the back of my mind
[notify]