GO!

I'll be getting my doctor's letter of prescription soon... HELP!

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Tue Mar 6, '12 8:27pm PST 
I had an appointment a few days ago with a psychiatric nurse, to get an assessment and figure out meds. Anyway, I brought the concept of Service Dogs, specifically PSDs, and how I will be incorporating one into my treatment plan.

I was happily surprised to find out that she knew what I was talking about, and furthermore has recommended them before! She said she'd be happy to write me the prescription letter.

I'm getting one primarily just to keep on file. Due to the nature of my job, I don't see myself bringing Gypsy to work with me. However, it's possible that I may in the future. I don't fly that often, but I probably will be making a flight in the next year. Lastly, I am moving soon, and may be looking at housing that is not pet-friendly. (I'll have to find somewhere cat-friendly at the minimum, since I have a pet cat.)

How should I have my letter worded to cover each of these: work (possibly will come up), flying (probably will come up), and housing? Gypsy will be doing only psychiatric tasks, as that is my disability, but I DON'T want that in the letter. Is it possible to be vague enough but still include the needed information for the airlines?

Can anyone share what, exactly, their letter of prescription says?

Thanks!
-D
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Tue Mar 6, '12 9:09pm PST 
In all honesty I've always found that it's better to get a letter on an As needed basis. You can get a general prescription letter for your records, but each of the items needs a slightly different kind of letter.
For housing I thing the general service dog letter on official letterhead would work one that also mentioned your ESA

You only need a letter to fly with a service dog if you tell them she's a psychiatric service dog. For a general service dog you only need tell them you'll be flying with a service dog. My response to what kind would be medical alert and response... which is the truth.
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Tue Mar 6, '12 10:00pm PST 
In all honesty I've always found that it's better to get a letter on an As needed basis. You can get a general prescription letter for your records, but each of the items needs a slightly different kind of letter.
For housing I thing the general service dog letter on official letterhead would work one that also mentioned your ESA

You only need a letter to fly with a service dog if you tell them she's a psychiatric service dog. For a general service dog you only need tell them you'll be flying with a service dog. My response to what kind would be medical alert and response... which is the truth.

As needed... that means the "general" letter and the housing letter, since those are things coming up soon. I may or may not fly in the future, and currently have no plans to use Gypsy at work. (Which is unfortunate.)

Since Gypsy will be a PSD (assuming she doesn't wash out, of course), that means I am legally required to clarify that to an airline. I can't really say that she's a medical alert and/or medical response (I know you were using your own situation as an example), because she isn't. I already KNOW that I have anxiety and the occasional panic attack-- Gypsy will not be alerting before it happens.

Oh, and I should clarify that my cat isn't an ESA officially, though he certainly functions as such. I kind of feel like I'd be taking advantage of my new psychiatrist if I asked her to also write a letter for Phoenix [cat] as well as the regular SD letter. I don't want to come across as someone just trying to pass off their pets as something else, and thus be taken less seriously about my genuine plans for a SD.

-D
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 2:38am PST 
I had each of my doc. just right: Karen Needs her service dog for her medical needs. More or less in my proffessional oppinon that Karen needs her dog with her for medical reasons. I have three letters form 3 different doc. My general pimary doc., A psch. nurse prac.(who recomended the dog), and a PA doc. in my general Doc. office. I got serveral copy's of them so to have them on hand when needed.
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 7:45am PST 
Just getting a general letter now is what I would recommend. The letter for flying must be very specific and it lets everyone know you have a psychiatric diagnosis. The letter for housing must list the ways in which you are impaired. So I would wait and get those letters when you need them. Instead just get a general letter of support from your doc now.
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 4:39pm PST 
Just getting a general letter now is what I would recommend. The letter for flying must be very specific and it lets everyone know you have a psychiatric diagnosis. The letter for housing must list the ways in which you are impaired. So I would wait and get those letters when you need them. Instead just get a general letter of support from your doc now.

I do want the general letter, of course. Within the next month, I"ll be moving (right before bringing Gypsy home), so it looks like I'll need the letter for housing, too. Should I have these be separate letters?

Can you link to the description stating that the letter for housing must state how I am impaired? I'm unsure how many details it needs to include.

Thanks!
[notify]
Daisy Grace- and Precious

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 2:03am PST 
A friend of mine recently flew with her dog and she found out that depending on the airline you have to follow their rules. She needed to get her two dogs taken in and get a complete physical then get a letter stating they could fly.
Then she had to find out their regulation for a service dog to be on the plane. Some airlines make her get a seperate ticket for her dog and seat assignment. Others did not. She also had to get a letter specifically for flying with her dogs in reguards to service.
[notify]
Beth

Hey! I hear- people landing- on the Moon!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 9:08am PST 
They can't require a letter for a service dog, only for an ESA. Their own guidelines state that they can't.

The only time you'd need a letter (traveling in the United States) for having a service dog on a plane is if you're going to the Hawaiian Islands.

I chased up the following information at http://www.iaadp.org/usdot-may2008-airline-guidance.html#guid (I have bolded the pertinent information for you)

>Carriers shall permit dogs and other service animals used by persons with disabilities to accompany the persons on a flight. See §382.117(a).

> Carriers shall accept as evidence that an animal is a service animal identifiers such as identification cards, other written documentation, presence of harnesses, tags or the credible verbal assurances of a qualified individual with a disability using the animal.

> Carriers shall permit a service animal to accompany a qualified individual with a disability in any seat in which the person sits, unless the animal obstructs an aisle or other area that must remain unobstructed in order to facilitate an emergency evacuation or to comply with FAA regulations.

> If a service animal cannot be accommodated at the seat location of the qualified individual with a disability whom the animal is accompanying, the carrier shall offer the passenger the opportunity to move with the animal to a seat location in the same class of service, if present on the aircraft, where the animal can be accommodated, as an alternative to requiring that the animal travel in the cargo hold (see §382.117(c)).

>Carriers shall not impose charges for providing facilities, equipment, or services that are required by this Part to be provided to qualified individuals with a disability (see §382.31).

Edited by author Mon Mar 12, '12 9:11am PST

[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 6:32pm PST 
Glad to know they can't ask for a letter! With my luck, though, they probably would ask anyway. (I won't ever be flying to Hawaii, though.)

Even if it's not required for flying, I still plan to get this letter just for my records.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 1:40pm PST 
I have a supportive bunch of doc. so I guess what you need to do is get your doc. to just be simple about it saying that they have know you for a while and in their oppinoin you benifit for having your SD dog with you.
That the dog medates your illnesses and aids in the care healing of your illness.
and they sighn it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2