GO!

Anybody here make things for their dogs?

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Peach

Etsy's Pooch &- Puddy mascot!

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 7:04am PST 
I guess the raw foodies do every day, but does anyone here make anything else? Like, bake treats, knit sweaters, make toys? What got you started?

About two years ago I could not find a cool collar for the dog I had, so I started making them. I was terrible at it! I was using just fabric (No interfacing) and couldn't get buckles, so the collar was closed with a series of buttons. It was cute, but so bad XD I started making more collars, and then over last summer I was part of a business program and had a booth at our farmer's market selling my less-bad dog collars, treats, toys, and tags. I kind of let it go for a bit after (Lack of money!) but recently I bought more supplies and made some really cool collars and started an Etsy shop called "PoochandPuddy".

If nobody buys anything, Peach has a ton of cool collars to wear XD I made her the very first one. You can actually see one of the collars I tried to sell at the farmer's market on her in the picture of her in with the cat in the background, and in the picture with her snow-walkies, the leash is the pattern she wears now.

I love shopping for handmade pet stuff, so I wanted to know if any other Dogsters make their own stuff, and maybe sell it =)
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 7:14am PST 
I make Jewel top knot bows but they aren't good enough to sell. laugh out loud And I still like to buy her bows, which is why I refuse to answer when someone asks how many she has.
[notify]
Isabelle

Tougher than I- look!! :)

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 7:23am PST 
I crocheted a little pink jacket for Belle, and I make tooled leather collars and leashes. I might try making a leather harness, too, but that's a future project! smile I'm working on a pair of leg warmers for Wicket, cause he broke his arm when he was a puppy and when it gets really cold, he still limps a little. So I'm trying to keep his 'weather paw' warm.
[notify]

Peach

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 7:32am PST 
Jewel is so adorable with her little hair up! I'm sure if you worked at them, you could make really cute bows. There are tons of people who would eat those up. I'm pretty sure the Maltese at Westminster had a bow in his hair =)

That's pretty cool, too, Isabelle. Do you sell the tooled collars? I've found doggy leg warmers to be a niche market on Etsy, there are actually quite a few people making them. Usually to keep snow/dirt/wet off of a feathery dog's legs.
[notify]
Isabelle

Tougher than I- look!! :)

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 7:47am PST 
I might try to make some for Belle, too, if I can get Wicket to wear his. They're front legs only, and will tie over his withers to keep them on. I got a nice yarn in shades of browns to make them from.

Yes, I take custom orders for the tooled collars. I have a few orders backed up cause I've been busy getting the house in some kind of order, but I'll be getting on those very soon, so will be taking orders again.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 1:12pm PST 
I make treats and biscuits, but no sewing projects yet. If I ever get a good sewing machine (industrial strength) I might consider running up some collars, leashes, harnesses, etc. I did make a longline once from webbing I got at the hardware store. The stitching popped out after the first time Bruno really yanked on it! laugh out loud

I don't mind paying people who are more skilled and have access to better materials than I to make things for me. I'm getting a custom-made harness for Bruno pretty soon, negotiating with Kelli Roman on Etsy (store name, Stinkydog Collars, but she says she wants to change it soon) it'll be RAD.

BTW, When I was new to dog ownership (when I first got Ginger) I was TOTALLY baffled by the amount of time and money people spent on accessories for dogs. Ginger had ONE collar, very plain and functional (it was safety orange with a huge O-ring, no buckle) and wondered why in the world anyone else would spend money on fancy stuff when the dogs themselves don't care what they look like. I've changed my tune a bit since then! laugh out loud I still want functional, but there's nothing wrong with pretty too!
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 9:40pm PST 
I've made treats a few times. The dogs liked them. I made a few toys out of an old blanket but the little brats wouldn't play with them. They would rather play with their fancy store bought toys then the ones I made for them. frown So spoiled I guess. laugh out loud
[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 12:43am PST 
My first successful sewing project was a dog jacket for Dunlop after our summer tempts dropped to below our WINTER minimums! I have him sheared in the summer to make it easier to find ticks and keep him cool, so the poor lad had no fur minus his tail.

Contemplating making more of them for friends who have little fluffy dogs and a few of a friends rescues. We just had a fabric shop open up the road from work and I found TWO quilting shops near the motor registry yesterday! I love fabric shops! Mum quilts and sews and knits so she may just get a few bolts of fabric for mothers day... I make crocheted tags for all my USB sticks too as I use them for assessments, makes them easier to find in my bag.
[notify]
Peach

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 10:38am PST 
Hey Bruno, I looked up Stinkydog Collars. Her harnesses look pretty cool! It's a shame they're non-adjustable though, lots of people prefer to have an option, just in case.

I've never been a "boring stuff" dog owner, but I didn't have many options when I got my first Pomeranian. The day I went to get him, just beforehand, I went to Wal-mart and got a boring gray plastic crate, a tiny black collar with gold circles (That was still too big, it went over his head!) and some boring steel bowls in a boring steel diner. Since then I've figured out how to find cool things in-store, but Etsy really is the best for cool pet stuff =)

Dunlop, fabric and craft shops are SO FUN. I went to the new Michael's here last night, walked in and was like, "Squee!" I probably looked stupidly happy =)
[notify]
Aspen

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 11:01am PST 
I make almost everything I can...to the point we are starting a new business...I make everything from their food,treats,collars,beds...they don't seem to mind smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3