GO!

Antlers?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Toby

Gimme, Gimme,- Gimme

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '12 8:41pm PST 
Doggyloot has antlers for $27 for a 3 pack. How good are antlers? How long does one last? It seems pricey for $9 each.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '12 8:53pm PST 
I bought an antler for Onyx and one for the bf's German Shepherd about 5 months ago and they both still have them. They're a little smaller from being gnawed on but the dogs are still enjoying them. His dog is a power chewer who can demolish a huge bully stick in about 10 minutes but he's still working on that antler.

One thing to be aware of is some dogs find them very boring and will pretty much ignore an antler after the novelty wears off. They don't have a strong flavor and some dogs don't seem to enjoy chews they can't actually chew up. So you might only want to get one to make sure your dog will use it.

I don't know if all antlers are created equal but I bought the Antlerz brand from Bestbullysticks.com and I've been impressed with them. They also sell them as singles.
http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/bbs/smartlist_25/antle rz.html
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '12 9:32pm PST 
They are pricey. I bought some & they were not a hit...only for the "i've got it..you wantz it" games dogs playlaugh out loud
But I bought a couple more that were split...exposing the marrow, & they really like them. We are going onto about 6 months & they are still going strong. As Onyx said, they do lose interest in them because they are so durable, but I put them away & bring them out again after a couple of weeks, & they are a hit again.
They do provide a good chew & they get shaved down, rather than breaking into pieces.
And yes, heavy duty chewers here also.smile
ETA: hmmm..is it marrow inside an antler?

Edited by author Fri Feb 10, '12 9:35pm PST

[notify]

Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '12 10:11pm PST 
Mine no longer get the bones you can buy in pet stores, because they eat raw. Antlers are the only chews we use. Both of mine are "power-chewers" as well (APBT & WGSD). 6 months into ours, not too much wear and tear!dancing
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '12 10:12pm PST 
Pretty sure that it's not marrow...but Rexy says it's delicious either way!! smile

I have a few different antlers and will rotate them to get her from getting bored. They tend to be the fall-back chew toy in this house.

I've been lucky in that I find shed antlers in the woods and so have not bought any (those big enough that I would consider giving Rexy go for over $20!).

I have heard that ebay is another good place to check out, but to be aware of your provincial/state/federal laws when it comes to purchasing wildlife parts (in BC shed antlers can legally be bought/sold/traded).
[notify]
Squ'mey

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '12 10:37pm PST 
Yeah, Rexy..after I posted I was like..wait..antlers aren't bones, so it can't be marrow laugh out loud But even when I edited, I realized I don't know what it is..but dogs love itcheer
[notify]
Makoto

Professor- Woofington

Barked: Sat Feb 11, '12 3:32pm PST 
My dogs certainly prefer edible chews like bully sticks and cow ears, but the antlers are a good thing to be able to leave around for anytime chewing. They last a very long time.

My only caution is to make sure you get a big enough antler. We have the lastest possible elk antler for Koto (70 lbs) and got a medium deer antler for Tesla (17 lbs). Koto got hold of Tess' antler and cracked it open. We threw it away so he wouldn't break his teeth trying to break it up. Both dogs enjoy the larger anter so from now on we will only get the large size for safety.
[notify]
Luke

I came, I saw, I- chewed.

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '12 6:04am PST 
Luke is like Onyx. The big bully sticks are gone way too fast. We have had our antler for about 3 weeks and it's still going strong. But it definitely doesn't hold his interest like a bully stick. Still, I catch him gnawing at it at night while I watch TV so I'm okay with it. Don't see myself investing in a collection of them or anything.
[notify]
Bella

More Food! More,- more, more- please!

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '12 7:55am PST 
Actually - deer antlers, which are what are sold in stores - are bone. They are unique in the animal world versus horns...which do not shed, but rather grow continuously and are made of keratin...like fingernails. The bone of a deer grows from a protuberance in their skull called a pedicle (sic?). At the base of the antlers there is a small amount of actual marrow. The antlers grow velvety skin...it is from this base that the network of nerves and blood supply come from - spreading out over the antlers. Prior to dropping the antlers the pedicle will cut off the supply of blood and eventually the antlers will fall off. So when you buy a split antler there is a small amount of marrow in them thats exposed and may be why dogs react better to them. My older lab loves these but shes a chewer. The sheltie - occasionally will grab one. Oh - this info bought to you by my 11 year old's science project.
[notify]
Squ'mey

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '12 8:57am PST 
smile Thanks for that Bellaway to go Thank your son alsolaugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3