GO!

What kind of camcorder do you use?

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

Cugi

Don't worry, be- happy!

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '11 10:44am PST 
I would like to video tape my dog training classes. Some are inside and some are outside. I need a camcorder that can record sound from over 4 feet away and wont pick up a ton of wind. In reading reviews for products its been hard to figure out which type of camcorder would work the best for me without spending over $600. Does anyone video tape their indoor/outdoor doggy antics and get good quality video? What kind of camcorder are you using? Thanks for the help everyone!
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '11 3:12pm PST 
I'm currently looking for a new one lol. But, I'm looking for the rugged models...waterproof, shockproof, etc. Learned the hard way with my old one on what I need.

So, I've been looking around like crazy. What type are you looking for though? Something that can fit in your pocket or would you not mind something heftier?

I have heard a lot of good reviews from the Flip camcorders. They're not expensive and apparently shoot nice HD videos. They're not waterproof, so I don't have one though.laugh out loud

Oh, wanted to add, do you care for zoom? If so, I don't think Flips have zoom...or at least they didn't, not sure about the newer ones. If you do want zoom, try to get an optical zoom. Digital zoom is not worth it at all. And be careful of some sneaky language around zoom. Some will advertise like a 10x zoom and say optical, but it really only has 5x optical zoom but will zoom an additional 5x digitally.

There are so many camcorders to choose from nowadays. It's really hard to choose!

Edited by author Wed Dec 28, '11 3:15pm PST

[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '11 3:59pm PST 
I have a Canon FS300. It doesn't shoot HD video and you'll definitely pick up wind sounds on it. But it has a great zoom (I think 40x) and is lightweight and easy to use. I've had it for about a year and it's been great.

You can see some of the videos I've shot with it on my YouTube Channel.

Edited by author Wed Dec 28, '11 4:00pm PST

[notify]

Chase, CGC

Beneth my goody- 2 shoes lies- dark socks

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '11 8:21pm PST 
Oh I just got a camcorder for Christmas! I was wanting pretty much what you are looking for as I want to record Chase's herding lessons and clinics we attend that our trainer isn't able to make it to. I got a Canon Vixia HF M40 so far I love it! I don't know if the microphone would be able to pick up sound that far but it does have a place for an external microphone.

Here is a video I shot today of my trainer working one of her young dogs. You can hear the rain but I was under a metal roof run-in.
Please forgive me talking to Rose the LGD who decided to escape which cut short the filming. Chase and I have a clinic this weekend so I'll have more videos after the weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFQmXT_eEaU&feature=mfu_i n_order&list=UL

On a side note how do I make clicky links? confused

Edited by author Wed Dec 28, '11 8:29pm PST

[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 6:28am PST 
(OT on clicky links.

To imbed the link, use the code found here: Dogster Forum Helper That will create an imbedded link like this:
Chase's Embedded Video

Hope that helps!)

Edited by author Thu Dec 29, '11 6:33am PST

[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 9:38am PST 
I got a Flip video recorder from my parents last year as a Christmas present.

It does the job for what i want and require but it doesn't have a great zoom range and does pick up the wind quite often. Also, while recording and watching the videos back they look crisp and clear, i've not been totally impressed with the video quality once uploaded. But it's a handy size and lightweight. You can also get different types of Flip videos i think with different amounts of memory storage and recording time etc. My Flip just plugs straight into the laptop so really quick and easy to upload videos.

Here is a quick video from back in the summer as an example of the quality. Click here.
[notify]
Chase, CGC

Beneth my goody- 2 shoes lies- dark socks

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '11 11:16am PST 
Thank you Risa! hail
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 2:55pm PST 
I have a Sanyo Xacti. It's pretty nice. I need to use a pen to access the controls-- as they are wee things (for 11 year old boys or something). I have been messing around with ISO and gotten some fair shots inside.
It takes still shots as well.

--des
[notify]