GO!

Doxycycline for Lyme Prevention?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Duke

Squirrel Hunter

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 4:21pm PST 
I just found an engorged tick on Duke, and I'm freaking out. I tried to pull it out, but I think the head is still inside. I'm saving the body to show the vet. I feel horrible for missing it. Worse, New England is pretty much the Lyme capital of the country, and Duke is not vaccinated for it.

My question is, should I ask the vet for a dose of doxycycline? Does this help slow/prevent Lyme disease? Alternatively, if he gets the vaccine now, will that do anything? Last time I found an attached tick (same day, came out cleanly), the vet told me that they don't prescribe anything preventative, and that I should wait for symptoms. Since it was unlikely the disease could spread in such a short period, I didn't push the issue.

This time, there is a higher risk of infection, so I will argue for something to be done if it will help.
[notify]
Kayak- "Mighty- Moose Angel"-

Snoodledawg

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 9:05pm PST 
Doxycycline is not used as prevention it is one of the antibiotics that can be used for infection from lymes. I would see your vet and discuss your fears after you found the tick on your dog. Is your pup on anything to help prevent ticks from attaching themselves to him?
Doxycycline is a powerful antibiotic and your vet would probably not just put your dog on it "just in case", at least I would hope not.
Keep a close eye on your wonderful pup and contact your vet to help relieve your fears.
Best wishes to both of you.
[notify]
Duke

Squirrel Hunter

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 5:38am PST 
He's on Frontline Plus, but I apply it on the 1st of the month, and we went hiking last weekend. It seems to wear off before the 1 month mark. I pulled off several ticks after the hike, and he got a full bath/blow-dry afterwards, so I thought he would be fine.

It's just really frustrating to have to sit and wait. I wish there was something I could do for him now.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 6:01am PST 
hughughug For Duke and person. It is very difficult to wait anything out when it comes to worry about either children or pets. Being a Mom and Grandma to human children and being a long time doggy-mommy I know this. Keep busy and active and stick to a normal routine as you wait it out.All will help keep the stress down. We hope that Duke's vet visit goes well and no problem is found. meditatemeditatemeditate and just keep doing normal things it really does help with the wait.Best of Luck to both of you.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 6:06am PST 
Can you look online to determine which variety of tick it is?

What is the size of the engorged body when you first discovered it? Pea? Raisin? Larger? Smaller? It may have just been a run of the mill dog tick, although there's the ick factor those do not carry the disease.

No vet is going to treat Lyme preemptively. Doxy is a STRONG antibiotic and one that shouldn't be prescribed unless the dog is indeed positive. It doesn't prevent it, it just treats the bacterial infection that is the disease itself.

The tick has to be attached to the dog for 18-24 hours to transmit the disease. Even though it was larger it might not have been on him long enough even IF it was a deer tick (which it totally might not have been).

For future reference, if you wet a cotton ball with alcohol and swab the tick many times they'll just let go then so you don't have to worry about the head being left behind way to go

Not every tick is Lyme carrier. I realize it can be hard but try to relax until you sort out whats really going on here. I wouldn't go in demanding strong drugs, even though you're scared odds are everything is going to be just fine smile
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 7:02am PST 
Duke there is actually something you can do to help prevent lyme disease, check out my profile page diaryblue dog

It's called Bioactive Lym. I think there are two, Lym D and Lym E. The E is given after D for more risk than Duke probably has. My conventional vet carries both.

I've heard more than a few times that frontline plus isn't working very good, but it takes 24 hours to kill off ticks if it works. Ever adapting icks may be spreading lyme disease faster than they did before or frontline may not be working as well as it used to. This seems to be supported by Merial (frontline maker) coming out with a new tick/flea product (so the reps on dogster have said but I know nothing about it) Anyway you may want to look for a product called Pet Peeve on ebay. It will help keep ticks off.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 7:24am PST 
Duke, don't let incorrect information scare you.

Frontline plus (as far as I last knew), claims to kill most if not all ticks a dog encounters usually well before that 18 hour window needed to infect closes in. Most people that use it report finding fleas and ticks dead before they're ever even able to feed/attach at all.

Of course nothing is perfect, but I do believe if you live in a high risk area anything one deems appropriate probably is.

There is ZERO proof ticks have recently biologically evolved in such a drastic way that suggests they've beat the preventative.

Do your own research and don't fall prey to either complacency OR unfounded suggestions.
[notify]
Duke

Squirrel Hunter

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 7:35am PST 
Thanks for all your support.

The engorged tick body is ~6.5mm with black legs. It looks a lot like the deer tick pictures online. He picked up the tick over the weekend, so it was probably attached long enough to transmit Lyme if it was a carrier.

I called the vet, and the tech who answered said to monitor the bite area for a couple of weeks and to watch for symptoms (primarily lameness) in 2-3 months. They don't test an asymptomatic dog for Lyme until several months after the bite, and the vaccine won't do anything for the current bite. The vet will call me back later this afternoon, but in general the office has a "wait and see" attitude, so I'm assuming she will say something similar. I'll probably schedule a blood test for sometime this winter and hope for the best.

It's all up to luck and Duke's immune system now.

Thanks again, you guys.
[notify]
Amazing- Grace

Live 2 Lounge

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 7:40am PST 
Duke,

I am an ambassador for CERTIFECT and FRONTLINE brand products and wonder if you have heard of CERTIFECT the newest addition to the FRONTLINE® family?

CERTIFECT is an advanced topical solution that begins killing ticks in just 6 hours!! As you know, speed of kill for ticks is important because the sooner a tick is killed; the less likely it is to transmit infectious agents, like Lyme disease.

And, CERTIFECT is also the only topical product that detaches ticks!
Like FRONTLINE Plus, CERTIFECT also destroys the flea life cycle and is waterproof.
dancing
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 8:06am PST 
Duke I'm glad you're feeling better and talked to the vet.
Trigger what is scary is ignorance and doing nothing to fix what don't work....and from reading dogster for one it seems like frontline plus doesn't work for more than a handful here but other tick medications still do.
I don't think anything is scary about staying up to date with such diseases and ways to prevent them.

AG yep that's the one I was thinking of lol.
Uh wow that detach tick thing intrigued me and I read it detaches 90% of deer and dog ticks that attach to dogs within 24 hours. I'd be interested in ingredient safety info...it says do not use on sick or recovering animals.

Edited by author Thu Dec 1, '11 8:14am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2