|Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 4:21pm PST |
|I just found an engorged tick on Duke, and I'm freaking out. I tried to pull it out, but I think the head is still inside. I'm saving the body to show the vet. I feel horrible for missing it. Worse, New England is pretty much the Lyme capital of the country, and Duke is not vaccinated for it.
My question is, should I ask the vet for a dose of doxycycline? Does this help slow/prevent Lyme disease? Alternatively, if he gets the vaccine now, will that do anything? Last time I found an attached tick (same day, came out cleanly), the vet told me that they don't prescribe anything preventative, and that I should wait for symptoms. Since it was unlikely the disease could spread in such a short period, I didn't push the issue.
This time, there is a higher risk of infection, so I will argue for something to be done if it will help.
|my posts | my page | msg me | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|