GO!

Obstructed Bowel?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Tally

Izzat chicken?

Barked: Sat Nov 26, '11 5:02pm PST 
I caught Tally chomping on another plastic bag last night. confused Got it away from her. She'd been coughing/retching a good chunk of the night before that, and I was a little concerned, although before we went to bed, she'd largely stopped. She coughed a tiny bit more this morning, but only a bit. However, we also noticed that she's been favoring one of her paws (this may have been going on for a while - she's 9 and might have a little arthritis. We may only have noticed it now due to being worried due to other concerns now). However, she didn't go out for most of the day, and when she did, she did not do a stool. That bothers me in the context of everything else. There has been no coughing/retching since this morning, and no vomiting at all. I'm thinking that I'll call the vet in the morning to ask for advice, but I wanted to ask my fellow Dogsters if there's anything else I should be doing in the meantime.
[notify]
Chico

Barked: Sat Nov 26, '11 6:25pm PST 
Is she still eating? It doesn't hurt to go out and get some canned pumpkin and give a small amount to her and see how she reacts. Pumpkin is good for dogs with constipation, I know that this isn't "constipation" but it never hurts to try.
[notify]
Tally

Izzat chicken?

Barked: Sat Nov 26, '11 7:00pm PST 
Can't say anything for certain about her food - we free-feed her (Yes, I already know the schpiel, but my parents won't stop). She has a bad habit of trying to wait through the day to see how many treats she can get, and only after she's lost hope of any more, going for the food, so my certainty there's limited, but she'll still hop after treats, which is a good sign. The canned pumpkin sounds like a good idea. The house is going to be crazy tomorrow, but I'll throw the idea to my parents. Are we talking boiled pumpkin, or pumpkin pie filling?
[notify]

Chico

Barked: Sat Nov 26, '11 7:12pm PST 
Keep monitoring her, check for any signs of discomfort or pain and try to feel her stomach and if it feels harder than usual then those are signs that she's constipated.

Try to get her canned natural unsweetened pumpkin, don't give her pie filling
[notify]
Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Sat Nov 26, '11 8:37pm PST 
Bowel obstructions are extremely dangerous, symptoms are usually vomiting, very painful abdomen, lethargy. Constipation is not one of the symptoms, diarrhea can be though.
Your dog would probably not eat if she was obstructed. If you are concerned about obstruction I would get to the Vet, most of the time we can see the obstruction on an abdominal xray. It would certainly calm your concerns knowing for certain she is not obstructed. With any obstruction the longer the wait the worst the outcome. Plastic bags can be passed but also can cause big problems.
Hope all is well.
[notify]
Violet

Patience...it's- what I've got.

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 7:23pm PST 
Good signs would be: passing solid stool, non-tense/painful abdomen, normally colored gums, normal appetite (with her feeding routine I'd take an interest in treats as a normal appetite).

Bad signs would be: not passing stool, diarrhea (can be the body's way of trying to pass stool "around" a blockage, tense/painful abdomen, roached back, anxious demeanor, pale gums, loss of appetite, vomiting, lethargy.

I would THINK that a plastic bag piece would likely be able to pass, but as someone else said, an obstruction is very, very serious business. I'd suggest a veterinarian appointment if any of the "bad signs" are going on. If not, play it safe and bulk up her diet with some canned pumpkin and maybe a piece of bread broken into small pieces to help push anything that may be in there through her system.
[notify]