GO!

Heavy Duty 48" Giant Wire Dog Crate Recommendations

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Ming

Ming a Ling the- ShooShoo Lover

Barked: Fri Nov 11, '11 9:03am PST 
I have an 90 lb shelter mix dog that needs an extra large wire crate. The dog chewed through the first flimsy crate and I want to make sure that I replace it with a durable and suitable crate. Does anyone have an opinions on Majestic, Kennel-Aire, Midwest, Precision or BestPet dog crates? I can't find objective reviews so I'm asking for your help! Thanks.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Fri Nov 11, '11 6:15pm PST 
Actually, the Kong crates are pretty good from what I understand, and they actually make a 48" long model. I'd replace the plastic pan with a metal one though, dog.com sells metal replacement pans.
[notify]
Henry

A little rescue- with a big- heart.

Barked: Fri Nov 11, '11 8:32pm PST 
I've also heard good thing about the Kong ones. They are supposedly built to be harder to escape and to be stronger overall.
[notify]

Oscar

Canis Angelicus

Barked: Sat Nov 12, '11 11:00am PST 
I have a 48" Midwest Ultima Pro (three door), it is supposed to be heavy duty, but I don't have a crate chewer, so it has never been tested. I like it well enough, and the three doors make it very flexible. The Kong crates look great.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Sat Nov 12, '11 1:14pm PST 
I've heard really mixed reviews on the Kongs. I've heard of at least 2 dogs who could get the doors off the tracks . Their owners don't know how they did it but the crates were trashed fast.

I've got the Midwest Double-door folding crate in a 36. It's not the lightest/most portable crate in the world but it's held up beautifully otherwise. I wouldn't call it flimsy by any stretch.

Edited by author Sat Nov 12, '11 1:14pm PST

[notify]