GO!

Can small dogs run with their owners?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Fri Oct 14, '11 2:37pm PST 
I am looking into getting a small dog. I like the yorkie because they are low-shedding, kid friendly, and easy to train. But can a yorkie run with me? I am looking for a dog that can run with me 2-3 times a week for 2-3 miles each run. Does anyone own a yorkie and can you tell me if a yorkie could handle running.
[notify]
Sven

Barked: Fri Oct 14, '11 5:24pm PST 
I'm not sure about yorkies, but I have a 9 lb Papillon who can not only run with me, but he can also keep up with my bike.
[notify]
Sumo

Lady's Man

Barked: Fri Oct 14, '11 6:56pm PST 
Not sure about a yorkie...I've heard they can be difficult to potty train and be somewhat fragile. Are you set on a yorkie?

There are several small, low-shedding, easily trained breeds that are "hardier."

Havanese cloud 9
Border Terrier cloud 9
Lowchin
Besenji
Miniature Schnauzer
Miniature Poodle cloud 9

I'm a Toy Poodle who loves to hike here in the rocky mountains way to go
[notify]

Paris

support the- rabid

Barked: Fri Oct 14, '11 8:12pm PST 
I see a few small breeds jogging with their owners every morning on my way to work. There's a Doxie, and I think there was a Shih-Tzu looking dog too. I know there's a few more I've seen but I can't remember them.

What about a Silky Terrier? They're similar looking to Yorkies, but are slightly larger and hardier. Plus having that terrier energy means they could definitely handle a run.
[notify]
Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Sat Oct 15, '11 12:04pm PST 
I run with my small dogs all the time, Snoopy is a 25 pound Basset hound/Dashund/Lab mix and he loves to run with me.

Baby is 18lbs, but she needs to lose 1-3 more pounds. She LOOOVES to run and will go all day running with me If I let her, she keeps up just fine and would rather run full speed ahead then jog.

I think a yorkie would do okay with a light jog perhaps? But I don't know very much about yorkies.

I think a little mixed breed shelter dog could possibly be a good running partner. Maybe yorkie mixed with another breed that might be better suited for running?

Again, I don't know much about yorkies though, but hopefully someone who has had experience with yorkies can stop by. wink
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Sat Oct 15, '11 1:26pm PST 
Really depends on the dog and the breed. I'd definitely go for a terrier if I wanted a small jogging partner. Yorkies, in my opinion are too fragile and small to go on any serious jogs. They are very delicate, and should also never wear a regular collar while being walked.

Gunther is at a great weight, very healthy, and gets regular exercise, but Shih Tzus aren't meant for jogging either. He likes to run in short spurts, but he tires easily. Any brachycephalic breeds should not be used for regular jogging, as they can have difficulty getting the air required to keep up a pace like that. I'd definitely go for a Jack Russell, Fox Terrier, Miniature Schnauzer, Rat Terrier etc. An active, sturdy little dog is what you'd need.

ETA: I'd also like to add that a Yorkie is just about the last dog I would suggest for children. confused

Edited by author Sat Oct 15, '11 1:27pm PST

[notify]
Lucky Jenks

Mommies little- foot-warmer

Barked: Sun Oct 16, '11 8:42am PST 
Gunther why would you think Yorkies are not good for children? I rescued my boy when my gram could not keep him he was handed from person to person for a while but she could not keep him and was going to take him to the pound. He does need a harness instead of a collar but he can run like crazy and loves playing outside with the kids and he never seems to shed ,occasionally a wad of hair will build uo in his brush but he doesn't shed.

I am by no means an expert as a matter of fact Jenks is my first dog but he is so sweet and well behaved that for the most part any bad behavior he does us usually my fault. I have been reading a lot of websites and books but none have said Yorkies shouldn't be around kids or go for runs.
[notify]
Pixie Bell

Is that a ball?

Barked: Sun Oct 16, '11 10:44am PST 
I have a 13 lb rat terrier that can not ONLY run laps around me, but can run me to DEATH. Many of the smaller terriers are fine jogging partners. Indeed, I devoted a post just to this topic awhile back that is chock full of the information you are looking for. I'll dig it up for you. wink
[notify]
Pixie Bell

Is that a ball?

Barked: Sun Oct 16, '11 10:48am PST 
Small breed jogging partners

big grin
[notify]

Barked: Sun Oct 16, '11 1:00pm PST 
Thanks!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2