GO!

Drakes bronchitus is back help

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Drake

What dont kill- you only makes- you strong

Barked: Thu Oct 13, '11 8:59am PST 
I need opinions on whether or not I should keep trying with drake. He has had bronchitis for the past four months, non stop hacking, coughing up green goo. This is now his third round of meds. We have tried numerous and this is me and the vets last attempt. The vet was thinking of knocking drake out and doing a throat swab but hes 11 and breathing is hard so would this be a good idea, we also are very limited on funds and really cant afford it. We have already spent around 600. I love drake dearly but this is getting hard on him and me. most the time the bronc goes away no problem. This time its not budging no matter what we do. Help suggestions greatly appreciated.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Oct 13, '11 9:08am PST 
My poodle is at the vets right now being xrayed for possible tumors in her bronchial tubes or lungs. She has been coughing for a month now, with no let-up.
Vet also considered bacteria from her teeth (although they are not bad), but they decided the different antibiotics would have stopped that by now.
She, unlike Drake, has NO discharge and doesn't cough up anything... it's just a deep cough that sounds exactly like Kennel cough! We know that isn't it because I have 10 other dogs in my house and no one has caught anything, plus she was also in our boarding kennel and no one there caught anything, either.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Thu Oct 13, '11 9:40am PST 
I don't see why the vet couldn't try a throat swab while he's awake frown
But I am thinking what Toto is that something else may be going on and need tests besides throat. It might not be serious. Seems like he needs some immunity boosting, in some shelters they give the dogs who first come in echinacea and goldenseal. It's safe for a couple/few weeks and helps with infections.
hughug

Edited by author Thu Oct 13, '11 9:41am PST

[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Oct 13, '11 1:51pm PST 
Adam, it's not Toto, another older rescue. X-rays showed bronchitis, as in swollen bronchial tubes, but no tumors or problems with the lungs so we switched antibiotic and added another cough control/bronchial dialator to the mix. She is feeling PERFECT, just has the nasty, chronic coughing. Otherwise healthy and happy, but she did spend a number of years closed in one of those truck bodies with about 15 other dogs in the Kansas heat and cold. It wasn't kept very clean and I am sure there was a buildup of urine and the shavings dust which didn't do her any good. She's almost seven now and this is her first problem in three plus years with me.
[notify]
Zoey, Shellie & Griffin

Natural & Loving- it!

Barked: Thu Oct 13, '11 4:47pm PST 
Has the vet done a Culture/Sensitivity? Zoey used to have throat infections literally EVERY other week. We had to culture a couple of them because they just weren't responding to the antibiotics. Since I switched her diet 16 months ago she has only had 1 throat infection.
[notify]
Drake

What dont kill- you only makes- you strong

Barked: Thu Oct 13, '11 6:34pm PST 
If you've seen drakes diary the bronchitis has been a chronic issue his whole life. He had been chained as a young pup nearly starved then caught kennel cough at the pound. Due to that his lungs and trachea area is covered in scar tissue. The vet is small and would have us go to a larger vet to have the swab done they will only do it with him knocked out. Hes on a high grade kibble and home cooked. Hes very well cared for. The bronchitis over the years has stuck around longer and longer usually during the winter. This time it started mid summer due to a cold wet snap here. he has not been able to fight it off since. He also had pneumonia but that has since passed. Hes on baytrill.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Oct 14, '11 4:24am PST 
Drake, have they tried Clavamox? It seems to work best for respiratory issues. It IS pricy, so is not usually the first choice. And, for coughing we are giving aminophine if my spelling is correct. It works as a bronchial dialator, plus helps remove fluid from the lungs.
My girl started it yesterday in addition to temeril-P and was pretty quiet all night last night for the first time in a month!
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Fri Oct 14, '11 8:36am PST 
"Hes very well cared for."

I hope you didn't think I implied otherwise frown

I only meant, with all these antibitoics, not to forget to treat the rest of the body besides these symptoms because that will help. Not that he isn't well cared for. Holistic health doesn't mean a dog that is or isn't treated good.
[notify]