GO!

need to change

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
♥- ROXI- ♥

Devil- Dog

Barked: Sat Oct 8, '11 12:23pm PST 
roxi is on Royan Canin veterinary diet Hypo HP i just paid 42.80 for 7.7# from my vet.i need something cheaper. she has IBS so i guess i need a hypoallergenic food. raw or home cooking not an option. any suggestions?

oh and i would rather not a vet only source one. one i can buy at petsmart or petco.

Edited by author Sat Oct 8, '11 12:26pm PST

[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Sat Oct 8, '11 12:30pm PST 
eek That is crazy!!! Do you know what she is allergic to? Even so, you'd probably want to go with one of the LID (limited ingredient diet) foods out there. I'll rattle off the main ones that come to mind and are frankly much higher in quality than Royal Canin, and much cheaper! There's Blue Buffalo back to Basics, Wellness Simple Solutions, Nature's Variety LID, Natural Balance LID, and Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream (salmon) or Sierra Mountain (lamb). All of these have one protein and one starch/grain, so they're ideal for dogs with allergies/stomach problems. Taste of the Wild (TOTW) is the cheapest of these generally depending on your area, and depending on specific allergies you may try one over the other, but these are all pretty good places to start. Best of luck!
[notify]
♥- ROXI- ♥

Devil- Dog

Barked: Sat Oct 8, '11 12:41pm PST 
thanks, last month i paid $31 but my husband went today and paid $42. naturally he didn't get a receipt and they're closed now. i'd like to just change and not get the lecture from the vet. roxi has IBS so he put her on the hypo and that helps. i really don't know if she is actually "allergic" she always ate chicken before then had a bout of IBS. the royal canin is soy? it doesn't have a flavor like duck, chicken, etc.
my other dog is in CHF so her meds are really high too. it's getting a little much. i'm going to petsmart/petco tonight.i'll check out those foods.
[notify]

Cooper

SNOW BABY

Barked: Sat Oct 8, '11 1:53pm PST 
i would go with either nature's variety limited ingredients or the wellness simple solutions limited ingredients. good luck to you!

dog
[notify]
♥- ROXI- ♥

Devil- Dog

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 7:56am PST 
thanks!!!
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 2:38pm PST 
Two things to keep in mind for a dog with a sensitive tummy are:
1) Transition very slowly. Start replacing just a tiny amount of his Royal Canin with whatever new food you choose. Stick with the same percentage for a few days before increasing gradually.
2) Compare the calories per cup. If the new food is more calorie-dense, feed less of it to get the same number of calories. Many dogs can't handle a big jump in calories and get soft stool which the person incorrectly interprets as "This particular food doesn't agree with my dog."
[notify]
♥- ROXI- ♥

Devil- Dog

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 7:29am PST 
thanks hazel, i've always tried to transition that way but they pick the new food out and don't eat the other. i don't know if it's worth it at this point to go thru the whole process of finding another food that agrees with her. the thought of my carpets and what happens is enough to make me pay extra. BOL BOL i did call the vet and there was an increase but the woman that takes care of that kind of stuff will be calling me back when she gets in. maybe they'll give me a discount otherwise if the price went up it went up. shrugshrug why call me?
[notify]
Devon

Sweet boy

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 7:52am PST 
My Mom works part time at Petsmart and she thinks the Royal Canin Rx diet food is less there. She can check fur you if you want?
[notify]
Seegmiller- Decker- Terriers

Best Kept Secret- In The USA!!!

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 1:15pm PST 
Try the Blue Buffalo or the Nutri Source brand foods we have had great luck with them they are very good and the dogs seem to love them.

Kim
http://www.imageevent.com/kimsee
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 11:42pm PST 
Limited ingredient, single meat/single carb if you can find it...

Are they sure this is IBS and not a specific food intolerance?

Do you like oatmeal,and how does your tummy react to it?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2