GO!

Diagnosis of inoperable Brain tumors - use of the Cyberknife

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Max

Barked: Sat Oct 8, '11 11:18am PST 
HI All,

Has anyone experienced Cyberknife with their pup? I 'm looking for someone to compare notes with.

Max was diagnosed with 2 inoperable brain tumors earlier this year. At first we decided to treat him with just prednisone and homeopathy. In 2 weeks he bounced back to his normal self and it was amazing but after about 4.5 months he was out chasing as squirrel and something wasn't right. He stopped short and then decided it was time to go back home. Over the next 2 weeks he declined significantly to the point where he couldn't walk, balance, eat, etc. His head was tilted and he had extreme vertigo. He was beyond walking in tight circles. I thought that was it, our Holistic vet was helping him and our neurologist upped his prednisone dose, and then I learned more about the cyberknife. I hadn't realized before that it was non-invasive - I thought they had to cut their head open to have it be effective. We called up to the Animal Specialty Center in Yonkers NY at our neurologists suggestion and they said if we could get Max stable they could do cyberknife. We managed to stabilize him with a high dose of prednisone and he went up last week for cyberknife therapy.

So far he's been doing well. He's tired and has low energy, but that's normal from what I understand. He had 1 seizure that only lasted a little more than a minute and then we put him on anti-seizure meds.

Has anyone else considered or undergone Cyberknife? I'd love to be able to compare notes with someone.

I started to document this process through a blog because I couldn't find any other info out there on dogs and Cyberknife (there are videos of him and his progression if anyone is interested ) http://maxck.blogspot.com
[notify]
Sooner

2003-2009 I love- you my velcro- baby

Barked: Sat Oct 8, '11 11:45am PST 
My last dal Sooner had a tumor taken care of from inside of her bottom lip with a cyber knife. They couldn't do regular surgery there according to my vet and have the margins that they would need.
It was very successful (on that tumor) and healed very quickly with no problems. She was able to eat and drink with no problem immediately after treatment.
On the human side, my sister has had treatment with a cyberknife from a tumor inside her skull, it was too close to something (can't remember) to use normal radiation or surgery, her treatment was also successful

Edited by author Sat Oct 8, '11 11:51am PST

[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Sat Oct 8, '11 1:53pm PST 
Sorry for what you and your pawrent are going through frown I have not used this but one thing I wanted to say maybe helpful is about the homeopathy part. Typically prednisone and homeopathy don't mix. It could be you didn't go far enough with the homeopathy, since it is like peeling an onion, one layer at a time and not treating the disease but treating the symptoms. The pred had a good chance to alter or mask the homeopathic results. I read some of your blog, I have never heard of cyberknife and thanks for the info in your blog. I haven't read it all yet but I took interest in the part about seizures, especially if you're open to homeopathy, my dog had seizures which were cured with it. Please pawmail me if you want any info about that... best wishes.
[notify]

Max

Barked: Thu Feb 2, '12 4:32pm PST 
I wanted to update my original post! We did go forward with Max's Cyber Knife treatment He started the treatment on 9/25/11 and was finished on Fri 9/30/11, and I'm very very very happy to report that thus far it's been a big success! I can still see things are changing in him and some days are better than others, but 4 months ago Max couldn't even lift his head, and now he is chasing bikes, joggers, and wrestling with puppies and he's 19 years old! Since I couldn't really find any information out there about what other dogs have gone through who had Cyber knife treatments, I started to blog about Max's experiences from the time he was diagnosed, to the different treatments we tried before we finally decided to go with Cyber knife and what he went through with the cyber knife and everything after. I've been including photos and videos so others can compare their dogs to Max. I've gotten some nice emails from others who have gone through it since Max did so hopefully it's helping, but if anyone is interested his blog is http://maxck.blogspot.com

Hopefully we'll keep having good experiences and this will help others with brain tumors or other inoperable health issues.

Max's Mom & Max
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Thu Feb 2, '12 4:39pm PST 
Oh wow...Max...how amazing. I honestly have never heard of it. AND thank you for sharing...for starting the blog. applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause

I'm sending you so much PoP...I'll be praying that you get a lot more years. Again, thank you for sharing!

hughughughughughughughughughughughug
[notify]

Barked: Sat Feb 25, '12 6:19pm PST 
Hi All:
My dog Roxy recently had Cyberknife for a brain tumor.
The tumor was located at the cerebellum, which makes surgery difficult.
The first day I noticed symptoms (2/5/12) she stumbled a little, couldn't run down the stairs as normal, and seemed off. A week later I had an MRI which confirmed the tumor. I guess it is/was a size of a piece of kibble. MRI was 2/13 Cyberknife was 2/22. Roxy seems like she is on the upswing - wagging her tail again, licking her lips after dinner, and tomorrow we will see what happens at the park tomorrow. She still has a slight head tilt, but it seems to be improving. I would love to keep in touch with others who are experiencing brain tumor's in dogs, and cyberknife long term results.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 1:06pm PST 
Here is the link to Roxy's Blog regarding her progress with the cyberknife
http://roxycyberknifebraintumor.blogspot.com/
[notify]
Max

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 2:08pm PST 
Just wanted to update everyone! Max is still doing great! It's been almost 6 months since his treatments and Max just got back from a 2.5 mile hike in the woods with his brothers and sister. He chased a jogger, twice, and we had to hold him back! And then he tried to go swimming! It is truly amazing how well the Cyber Knife has worked for him! Roxy I'm hopeful that you'll have as much success too! I left a message for you on your blog a little while ago... I cross posted it on Max's Blog for others to see too. Max's blog about his experience with Cyber knife includes photos and videos of him from before he had cyber knife to after and I'll keep updating it with new videos and photos. His blog is http://maxck.blogspot.com
[notify]