GO!

Cutting Nails Nightmare

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Cooper

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 12:27pm PST 
Our 2 year old Beagle pup is the sweetest most non aggressive dog at home... except when it comes to cutting nails. He turns into a dog we do not know when the clippers come out and we literally CANNOT cut his nails. We have tried positive reinforcement with the clippers and also with just touching his nails. We can touch his nails and touch the clippers to the nails, but when one of us holds him and actually tries clipping- he pants, cries, barks, growls, and finally bites to be free. So, his nails have not been successfully cut and he won't come near us for a while- this break in trust feels really bad cry Does anyone have an advice? His nails really need to be cut!
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 12:44pm PST 
Bruno behaves in a similar way about nails. What worked for me:
1. Muzzle him
2. Have someone hold him on leash so he can't get away, keep him standing up
3. Use a SCISSORS-type clipper, not GUILLOTINE-type
4. Clip his nails with his feet STILL ON THE GROUND. Don't grab his paws- just slide the clipper in sideways, clip off the tip of each nail
5. Work as fast as possible!
6. Remove muzzle and give yummy treat as soon as I'm done

This protocol has REALLY helped me. Before trying this, I had to take him to a groomer, and that was so scary for him- he peed on the floor every time. Just putting the muzzle on really takes the fight right out of him, I've noticed. He acts a little spooked afterward for a bit, but it's not very long, and the food treat helps with that.
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 1:27pm PST 
We did the whole touch his feet with the clippers and give treats thing, he wasn't as afraid of the clippers but he still hated nail trims. What worked for me is having him lay down and then I gently roll him onto his side. He freaks out if I clips his nails while he is sitting or standing. I think he feels more comfortable laying in my lap or close to me. I clip a paw then he gets a bunch of treats, clip the other paw then a bunch of treats, and so on. Giving "jack pot" rewards really seemed to help a lot rather than just one or two treats. He still doesn't love nail trims but now he knows what to expect and he waits for his treats. I also taught him shake, high five, and wave. It helped get him more comfortable with having his paws handled. I also handle his feet and play with his toes every so often.

Have you tried filing his nails or using a nail grinder?

I agree with Bruno, don't use the guillotine style clippers those suck!! They dull quickly and can crush the nails and cause the nail to split.

Edited by author Sun Oct 2, '11 1:35pm PST

[notify]

Cooper

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 7:05pm PST 
thank you for some tips! we, too, are afraid to take him to a groomer. He used to be SO afraid of the car and after a lot work, he now loves it. The last thing we want to do is take him somewhere something traumatic happens!

We have been using the guillotine clippers- we will definitely go buy regular scissors. What is involved in nail grinding?
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 7:49pm PST 
I use the Miller's Fordge nail clippers. They stay sharp for a long time and I get clean cuts with them.

For nail grinding, have your seen/heard of Dremel or Pedipaws? It has a rotating piece that has a band of sandpaper and it grinds down the nail quickly. (I've heard mixed reviews on Pedipaws and I've never used one or a Dremel before but I've heard that some dogs who hate nail clippings prefer getting their nails grinded so it might be worth a shot. On the flip side some dogs hate the noise if you don't get a quiet one. Also if you hold the grinder on a nail too long the friction can make it get hot.)
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Mon Oct 3, '11 12:06am PST 
Haha, no grinder here. Groomer pulled one out on Bruno and flipped out even worse than for the clippers. See if you can borrow one before investing your money.
[notify]
Cooper

Barked: Tue Oct 4, '11 6:45pm PST 
Decisionsbig grin Cooper is not a fan of loud noises- especially near him. Maybe we'll start with normal clippers and go from there. thank you for the suggestions!
[notify]
Zoey

Cause I'm the- boss... that's- why

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '11 1:17pm PST 
Zoey and I have been having the same nightmare.

She will not let me even tough her feet. She has been clipped lots of times and it seems she get worse each time until Petco said they will not clip her anymore.

Then at a vet visit the girls said they couldn’t get her to stay still to clip more than 2 nails. Ive been trying to walk her on concrete to keep them somewhat short but around Labor day she broke a dew claw and I took her to the vet, they sedated her and clipped them. $250

I certainly cant afford $250 for a nail trim! They suggested I try a tranquilizer for at home clipping.

The medicine actually had her doing laps around the house, hurdling furniture and going absolutely crazy for about 90 minutes non stop. Even after that I was getting no where near her feet.

Not sure what to do next
cry
[notify]
Ruger

Gotta find the- squeaky toy.

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '11 2:11pm PST 
The easiest way to trim Ruger's nails is to let him lay down and chew on a bone. I used to try holding him down and he'd freak. He was probably six months old before he got his first trim. Massaging his feet helps out a lot too.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '11 3:39pm PST 
I lay the dogs down and rub their feet while I flick their nails with my finger nail, all the while shoving yummies in their faces. They get so used to me playing with their nails they don't even notice when I trim them. Sabs used to scream like she was being murdered so I tried a groomer. Crazy woman thought she could just wrestle her way through an 85 lb dog. Made things much worse. Never again.
[notify]