GO!

Kobe needs to lose weight. Any suggestions?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kobe

I'm the- Kobenator. I'll- be back!

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 8:24am PST 
I cook for my dogs and usually cook for them rice, sweet potatoes, chicken, veggie puree (zuchini, celery, peas & carrots, green beans). Kobe is almost 10 and has gained 2 lbs during the last 2 years. He needs to lose weight so I am thinking of cutting out the rice in my cooking for him but worry that it may make him more hungry and wants to eat more. Any suggestions?

thinking
[notify]
♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 8:42am PST 
From your pictures, the first thing I'd do is cut out the Corona Beer!big laugh

Have you thought about adding any pumpkin to Kobe's meals? Adds fiber without adding lots of calories. Helped Mickey a lot!way to go
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 9:00am PST 
Max gained 11 pounds on my home cooking. It is sure hard to tell if a fluffy dog is getting over weight!

Definitely cut out the rice. Replacing the fiber in the rice with pumpkin will help keep the bulk of the food high.

Max was a life long empty tummy bile vomiter so got 2 meals a day plus a bedtime snack. On high fat raw he rarely has bile vomits and the ones he produces are due to stress rather than morning empty tummy. Fat sates better than carbs. You may find leaving some of the fat on the meat works better than using a lot of pumpkin, green beans and other fillers to keep your dog's tummy happy. Raw is about 50-60% fat calories and kibble is more like 30% fat calories, see if you can get fat up to about 40% by calorie or about 20% by dry weight. Don't just dump globs in the food, try leaving a little more skin on the chicken every time you cook and watch the poop. Fat is terrific for dogs but the system needs to gear up to deal with it!

Senior dogs lose muscle as they age. Good muscle mass keeps the dog active and burning calories. I would emphasize protein in the food. Sassy was not just senior but geriatric and her muscle mass improved when I figured out how to increase the protein content from about 22% to about 29-30% protein calories. And senior Max didn't lose all of that 11 pounds, about half was retained as muscle once he was switched to a high protein raw diet.

Not writing to feed raw if you aren't comfortable doing it. Just suggesting to use a variety of meats, egg, organ, fish and dairy with only about 25% veggies as in these recipes.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/low-glycemic/
[notify]

Kobe

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 9:50am PST 
Thank you everybody. Target sells canned pumpkin so I can add that instead of the rice. I thought I should cut out the chicken skin and gives him lean meat but maybe I am wrong on that. Other than being overweight, he has arthritis especially in his left shoulder and would trip on himself when he runs. He is on joint supplement and being heavy does not help. His little legs can't support his fat body.
blue dognaughtyblue dog

p.s. He definitely has a beer belly. laugh out loud

Edited by author Sat Oct 1, '11 9:51am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 2:23pm PST 
Take off some fat but not all. Maybe half of the skin. Fat is really good for dogs and sates the appetite. I know if I have oatmeal for breakfast I am good til lunch if I put a bit of butter on top. Without the butter I am starving at 10AM.

Max was fat for a while and he did eat lower fat to lose weight but it wasn't low fat at all. I just cut the thick layer of fat off and avoided fatty meats like tongue and brisket!
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 4:50pm PST 
get rid of the rice, add more green beans and celery
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 8:42pm PST 
I agree with Ringo, reduce or omit the carbs.Also although fat is important you could probably safely cut some without risk and as all of us who have had weight problems,even small ones adding exercise is a good idea as well. Just to clarify Ringo suggested reducing carbs or omitting them. The other suggestions were mine. I know it's the weekend and not being a regular to this forum,can be suspect and I'd rather avoid misunderstandings.Ringo,hope I made that clear enough and just make sure you understood that I was aware of what you said in your post and that other poster understood what I was agreeing with.
[notify]
Kobe

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 8:56am PST 
Thank you. Mom cooked a new batch for me yesterday with the veggies whole, sweet potatoes, canned pumpkin, chicken and I gulped it down. She used celery, frozen green beans, frozen peas & carrots, and cauliflower this time. We are trying to walk every day too so hopefully, I will lose that 2 lbs. soon.

dog walkbig grindog walkbig grindog walkbig grindog walkbig grindog walkbig grindog walkbig grindog walkbig grin
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 9:01am PST 
Don't forget to measure the food carefully. My big error with Max was not weighing his food out. He needed something like 12 ounces of that cooked food a day but my scale was so difficult to read I gave him a lot more. Figure your dog needs about 3 ounces of meaty stuff per day weighed raw and divide the recipe accordingly.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 10:26pm PST 
Kobe,
I don't mean this to sound offensive or condescending but sweet potatoes are carbs,too. They're just slow carbs which means they take longer to be converted to sugars the body uses for energy. They will make you feel full longer so you may not notice if Mommy cuts your food back a little.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2