GO!

Looking for a Reputable GSD Breeder

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Barked: Mon Sep 19, '11 10:22pm PST 
After seeing that GSD in the 'pet' store, it solidified in me that the GSD really is my heart-dog (I was in between two breeds earlier). I've researched them for years and have an idea of what I'm looking for in a GSD. If anyone is able to help, it would be great, since there are soooo many of them out there. Here's what I'm looking for:

1) The big essentials for any breeder: temperament and health testing. I want a breeder who knows the characteristics of the breed and breeds for them. As in, they're not breeding aggressive or shy dogs for example. As for health, I know that GSDs have problems with the hips. I'd like a breeder that tests for this in their dogs and tries to control for this; as in, not breeding together dogs with obvious hip problems. I think another important thing is that the breeder only sends the pups to their home when they're at the very least 8 weeks old. I've seen too many people get pups that were too young and from what I've researched, having them stay until 10-12 weeks isn't a bad idea.

2) Chances are, I will not be using the GSD as a herding or working dog - he will be a companion to me. Don't worry, even though I live in the city I do plan on exercising the dog at least twice a day, with more time on weekends. Because of this, I'm not sure if getting a GSD from a working line would be the best idea, since they would be too driven for me. At the same time though, I don't like most of the dogs in the show-lines because the breeders seem to exaggerate the topline and it really slopes. Not only do I not like the way it looks, I just don't think it's healthy. So, I'm torn. I've heard people here mention Royalair before, but the GSDs they breed are too big and bulky for me.

Any ideas or recommendations? I don't want to end up with a BYB accidentally. My uncle for his GSD from a good breeder and was thinking of asking him for that contact information, but wanted to check if you guys had anyone you'd recommend.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 6:41am PST 
Where are you located? State/Provence/etc?

Or do you mind having a dog shipped?

Understand that even a dog from the show lines will still require a large amount of work and dedication on your part. You will need to be able to invest in early socialization classes, and maintain some form of ongoing obedience training for at least the first couple of years.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 8:54am PST 
I would agree with you that if what you want is a companion and an occasional hiking (or whatever you would do on weekends) dog, then working lines probably aren't the best choice.

I would definitely look into show lines. There are show breeders who breed for moderation and health that produce some gorgeous dogs.

Like Mulder asked, are you ok with shipping the dog or driving a long distance to pick it up? Or are you hoping for something more local to you?
[notify]

Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 10:05am PST 
You will also want to look for elbow testing and perhaps DM. I'm sure Mulder and Onyx can help you more with this.
[notify]
Nukka

Nukka- Play with me!!

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 10:35am PST 
I have some thoughts on a reputable breeder as well as experience with Royalair. PM me if you would like.
[notify]
Daisy

MUST CHEW!!

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 10:39am PST 
Kennels Von Lotta (if I spelled it right >.>) is a great breeder near Atlanta GA. They'll also ship for a decent extra fee. Check them out. ^-^
[notify]
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 11:37am PST 
Yeah, more health testing other than hips is certainly a bonus with a GSD breeder. The range of health problems is quite frankly scary.

Just to give you a good idea of the range of health testing which CAN be done with a GSD, the breeder I am interested in gets the following health tests on her dogs:
Hip scores
Elbow scores
Haemophilia A (there was a big problem with this in the UK in GSD's a few years back)
Degenerative Myelopathy (DM)
MDR1 (since GSDs are a herding breed.. )
Pituitary Dwarfism (occurs occasionally in the breed)
Juvenile Renal Dysplasia (accurs occasionally..)

And also in the past week another health test she has got is the Anal Furunculosis (perianal fistulas) risk allele test.

Obviously not ALL of these are neccessary but as a general rule- the more health testing, the better. Id give you the link to the breeder I like but I am in the UK, so not much use to you!
[notify]

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 5:07pm PST 
thanks for all the responses everyone!

As long as the breeder is within the continental USA, I don't mind. Shipping would be a little weird for me - I would honestly rather spend the money to pick him up myself. If they're close enough (around a 10 hour drive), I may even drive. I live in Florida if it helps.

I know a GSD (or any dog, really) requires commitment and I'm willing to give it my all. I want a well-adjusted, socialized GSD that doesn't perpetuate the norm that they're dangerous dogs. A close friend of mine never bothered socializing his GSD and now she's a fear biter and has already bitten 3 people, and drawn blood on one. I never want that to me - I want to invest in the training and socialization that he's what the breed standard is supposed to be - confident, aloof, but never shy or needlessly aggressive.
[notify]
Daisy

MUST CHEW!!

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 5:54pm PST 
Depending on where you are in Florida it could work. Lol Von Lotta's website has a great amount of info. They're a bit pricey though.

IMO though, GSD mix rescues are the best dogs around. ^-^' haha
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 7:46pm PST 
Oh good, you're close.

Try contacting Robinhaus. They're in Mobile Alabama.

MODERATE American lines, main sireline out of Dallas (believed by many to be one of the best American dogs in recent years), very proactive about health testing, and perhaps most importantly, are actually producing dogs who are DOING something. Check out their SAR page, that's pretty cool.

I think they are worth getting in touch with.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8