GO!

New to Raw, new to Dogster, HI!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Aussie

Macho Mutt

Barked: Mon Sep 5, '11 3:54pm PST 
Just wanted to introduce myself.. ourselves?

After many days and hours pouring over information about feeding my dog a raw diet I landed here and found so much helpful info - and nice people who weren't judgmental! - I jumped in and gave my boy, Aussie, his first raw meal tonight and then quickly joined up here so I have somewhere to turn with questions or concerns.

I'm Lisa, Aussie is my amazing mutt who finds some way to say thank you every day for bringing him home almost 4 years ago. Unfortunately for the last 2 years Aussie has been struggling with pesky yeasty ear infections. We've spent hundreds (probably thousands but that makes me cringe) on vet bills, drops, lotions, pills, food... and nothing has helped relieve my poor boy. His infection would get better only to come back, sometimes with a vengeance. I finally decided I couldn't give these vets - many different vets - any more money without seeing results so I turned to my pal Google and eventually ended up here.

Short story, long.. here we go! He got a chicken quarter for dinner tonight, was a good boy, took his time and chewed it up without scarfing it down so hopefully we won't have any vomiting and re-eating happening. Please cross your fingers that he is able to make the change smoothly and it helps his ears!!
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Sep 5, '11 9:53pm PST 
Welcome. I hope raw helps you. Raw has helped Saya a ton. She is pretty healthy on kibble except she reversed sneezed every night and when she ate kibble and her breath smelled.

Now on raw she barely ever reverse sneezes I don't remember the last time she has done it.

Her breath don't smell as bad except for when she eats caned fish, but it's not bad or anything.

Got any questions let us know.

So your interested in raw thread is good read.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Sep 5, '11 11:48pm PST 
Welcome welcome I hope your switch goes well and helps with those ear infections.

If you haven't read it already, this is the thread Saya was referring to. Lots of good info there.

And of course, do feel free to ask any questions. Everyone in the raw forum loves to help out with raw questions puppy
[notify]

Kahirah, Ch.

What can I get- into now?

Barked: Tue Sep 6, '11 4:30am PST 
Welcome fellow rawbie. wave
[notify]
Aussie

Macho Mutt

Barked: Tue Sep 6, '11 7:13am PST 
Oh my goodness! I didn't know what reverse sneezing was - I'd never heard of it before - so I googled it, read some articles and watched a YouTube video and my other dog does that once in a while. It's usually when she gets really excited so I thought it was some sort of asthma attack or anxiety attack. (She's a rescue and was beaten and neglected. She's worked through most of her problems but on occasion still has some anxiety around men she's not familiar with and even less often locations that she's never been to) I wasn't going to switch her to raw because she does beautifully on kibble but maybe I'll switch her too! Thank you for the inadvertent help!! smile

Also, thank you for the welcomes! Last night's dinner was a hit and my boy's not showing any signs of upset stomach. So far, so good! happy dance
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Tue Sep 6, '11 10:00am PST 
welcome
I hope the switch goes well for you. I have been feeding raw to my cats for a year or more and just started feeding it to my dogs. Remember that slow is the key dont rush into anything new to quick. That was my issue with Daisy. Now that I am going slow with her all is going well. So dont make the same mistake as me.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Sep 6, '11 10:17am PST 
Yeah reverse sneezing is weird Saya was doing it I wasn't sure what the heck was going on so I checked internet.

Her's not so bad compared to some videos I've seen.

Raw is not a cure all diet, but I think it helped.

I think reverse sneezing might be caused by allergies I dunno.
[notify]
Zelda

Princess of- Hyrule

Barked: Tue Sep 6, '11 11:39am PST 
Zelda was diagnosed with a collapsing trachea when we first adopted her, and the vet said that is why she would have fits of reverse sneezing. Back in the start of the year when she first was home with us, she'd "honk" at least once a day. Nowadays, she does it maybe once a month.

Very similar to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WThsZp6ymvo&feature=related

From what I understand it's usually a genetic condition and can be caused by a lack of glycosaminoglycans, glycoproteins, calcium, and chondroitin. In bad cases it can be acquired later in life by more threatening illnesses like Cushing's.

Everything I look at for treatment is switching from a collar to a harness, weight loss and avoiding heavy activity, but I honestly can't say that we did any of that with Zelda. She wears a harness only on long walks, she has maintained weight and she loves to run. Could it be possible that feeding a diet flourishing with glucosamine, calcium and chondroitin could help the problem? Would be interesting, as Zelda has most of her bone content from chicken feet.
[notify]
Aussie

Macho Mutt

Barked: Tue Sep 6, '11 5:00pm PST 
"honk" is so appropriate!

Day two of raw - dinner went well (he's on a once a day feeding schedule) but we did have a regurgitate and re-consume incident. I think it was because tonight I fed both dogs outside and Aussie was worried his sister might steal his food so he ate it a bit faster. Lesson learned I think! He thoroughly chewed it the second time around.

Normal poop today, no apparent tummy issues. Yay!

I'm considering switching my girl over to raw as well, I'm just waiting to hear back from some butchers to see what kind of meat deals I'm going to be able to work out. I've also attempted to contact some local ranchers to see if I can strike a deal with them. There are lots around so the odds are good!
[notify]
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Tue Sep 6, '11 7:28pm PST 
That's great news, Aussie! Good luck looking for sources and good for you starting early. The more sources of raw food you can find, the less you'll end up spending in the long-run. Also remember that hunting season is coming (not sure where you live), so toss out an ad on craigslist asking hunters for scraps. I just got a hit today that might feed my dogs through the fall!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2