GO!

Bedlington Terrier

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bilbo NAP- NJP CGC

All the virtue- of men without- his vices

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 10:27am PST 
I won't be getting another dog for awhile yet, but I figured I'd limit down my choices. I've been looking at the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and it is a breed I plan on having in the future. But, I'd also like to learn more about the Bedlington Terrier.

So, if anyone has any experience with the breed, or knows of some good books/sites to check out, I'd be more than willing to listen! big grin
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 10:38am PST 
Bedlingtons have one of the more mellow terrier dispositions. I've known a few that loved agility work. Really stunning dogs on the course. I don't know any specific breeders or links other than the usual AKC parent club, though.

Good luck in your search!smile
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 11:52am PST 
I groom a bedlington. That coat is a pita!!!! This guy is a "real dog" and spends all day doing typical terrier things and when he comes to be groomed I spend hours and hours getting burdocks and twigs and other junk out of his coat. It is like cotton and knots up unbelievably.
As a terrier, he often forgets when he is and heads off into the wild blue yonder after some squirrel or woodchuck or other game, according to his owner, and has little respect for the electric fence shock.
They are also a breed with extremely thin bones and he spent the last 4 months in a splint due to a broken front leg from jumping off the couch.
[notify]

Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Wed Aug 17, '11 2:24am PST 
I agree with Toto on the coat.. It is a PITA to groom!! We have 5 or 6 that come in to us and at least 3 of them are biters.. They certainly have the terrier attitude! They are a little more mellow than your typical Terrier though.

Im not sure whether it is just because the dogsaround here come from similar lines or something, but most of the Beddies ive known have had allergies and/or digestive system issues.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Wed Aug 17, '11 7:04am PST 
Funny because ALL the dog books i own describe the Beddy as fiery, tenacious, snappy, and very terrier like that act nothing like the soft little Lamb they look like laugh out loud The most mellow of the terrier breeds is often said of the Border Terrier.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 17, '11 11:26am PST 
I agree, Missy, and this guy we groom is certainly ALL terror, eh, I mean Terrier!!!
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Wed Aug 17, '11 11:33am PST 
I wonder if you got a small group of them if a BC would enjoy herding them around!

A "flock" of Beddies?!

But seriously I'm with Missy here...they totally look like sheep to me. If they're truly paired with a terrier attitude I can't say I'd understand the appeal of getting one at all.
[notify]
Bilbo NAP- NJP CGC

All the virtue- of men without- his vices

Barked: Wed Aug 17, '11 11:54am PST 
They do look like little lambs- they’re supposed to, after all. party According to some people I’ve found with working Bedlingtons (primarily in the UK, so nowhere near me *sigh*), they are like most other terriers. Some do say they are more mellow, some say they still have that usual ‘tude. I enjoy the terrier personality, though.

However, since they're nowhere near me, I imagine a Bedlington I would be able to find would be different.

I like them, so far, because they fit my size requirements, exercise requirements, and I’m fairly certain they are a pretty stubborn breed. I like that stubborn streak in my dogs.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Aug 17, '11 12:05pm PST 
Bedlingtons! YAY! A favored breed. Although of course an advisement I always give is they don't look like "that" naturally. I would have to defer to Toto...the Bedlingtons I have long known are with those in the dog fancy. But the best pro groomers...like the ones who groom show dogs....say they are the hardest breed to do, and I am not sure what a pet cut on one would be....and remain a little dubious that a PetSmart trained groomer could scissor a Bedlington correctly.

Whatever, Bedlingtons are a very unique terrier and a very undersung breed in dogdom. HIGHLY recommended, but "not for everyone." I have known plenty that can get along with other dogs, they do not have the piss-n-fire histrionics of some, but this is a very willful breed and if challenged they do not back down. These dogs WERE fought in their history and have been bred down from that, but people liked the willfulness, so that remained. Bedlingtons also have more prey drive than some other terriers do. That can be pretty intense.

With all that said, Bedlingtons form a much closer, bonded attachment to their favored person than is terrier typical. They are less independent, and that does make them perhaps not more trainable than the average terrier, but ONCE trained, more reliable. They also are far more versatile...think Airedale. They can hunt (yes!, like with a retrieve and everything, lol!), lure course, herd, even guard. Bedlingtons are extremely fast, have an exceptional nose, a nice work ethic. They are a handful, but a faily scope-y dog.

Unlike many other terriers, they can be quite appropriately be called cheerful and clownish. Not as "pent up" laugh out loud They often are totally into a good cuddle, and thrive best with having a close bond with a person. They are what I like to call a "master's dog"...really want to be belonged to someone. They are often very reasonable with their energy in the home. Rather than a pocket rocket always ready to go-go-GO!, Bedlingtons do fine lolling on the couch. They can turn on a dime, though, if a mouse scurries by. Any challenge to the Bedlington will bring out that tougher side.

These are sensitive dogs....far moreso than most terriers. They, very curious for a terrier, due have a propensity towards SA and do not like being left behind. They have some penchant for being jealous. Skin problems, eye and liver all occur within the breed. Not unhealthy overall, but there are some serious conditions in this breed, so you'd want one responsibly bred.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Aug 17, '11 12:13pm PST 
....I guess I should add, re the conflicts in description. If you want to work, rile or war with a Bedlington, that's a lot of dog. Because of their fight history, they are more "game bred" than some other terriers. With that said, they also are one of the more companionable terriers. They are quite a pleasure in the home, tend to be extremely devoted to their people, have a jolly side, are more tolerant of other dogs. So it is probably a perspective thing. If you are talking about how tough a Bedlington can be, well he can be PLENTY tough! But if you are comparing sharing one's life with a Bedlington as a companion vs some of the other terriers, he's really rather pleasant. And has more of a vulnerable, emotional side than some other terriers do.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2