GO!

Living with your pets heart disease

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Fauna

Barked: Wed Aug 10, '11 12:02pm PST 
My dog Fauna always had a heart murmur. I have one myself but it isn't hardly anything. Hers however, is "significant". There is no pleasant comforting "thump, thump". Its all over the place and I am constantly worried. She is my baby! Fauna went to the vet and got xrays. She had some fluid around her heart so she was prescribed Enalapril and a dieretic. I talked to my cousins brother in law who recommended a pill that has been used in Europe for years but just got introduced here in the US a couple years ago. I forget the name, will post it later, It's supposed to work miracles with really prolonging life!

I am starting this forum so that people that have dogs with heart disease can come here and chat and hopefully help each other. As support and for advice! Post about your pup too!!!

puppy
[notify]
Angel Maddy

Forever Loved.- 12/20/00-02/05/1- 2

Barked: Wed Aug 10, '11 3:23pm PST 
The drug he's talking about is called Vetmedin. It can definitely be a life saver, but also VERY dangerous for a dog who isn't the right candidate. The only way to know that is to go to a cardiologist and have a workup done. It's a few hundred dollars, but at least you'll know exactly what the diagnosis is and in turn what meds schedule you will go on.

Enalapril and lasix/furosemide are the first two drugs most dogs go on. Enalapril and Benazapril (easier on the kidneys), both ACE inhibitors, will help each pump of the heart count. Lasix will make your pup want to pee quite often but it gets all that horrible fluid out of there so they can breathe and lay comfortably.

I've been dealing with an advanced heart dog for the past year and there have been definite ups and downs. You just need to remain strong and advocate for the best care you can give. I've spent way more money than I could have ever imagined possible this past year keeping Maddy healthy and happy, but in the end she's so worth it.

If you're not a member yet, please consider joining the yahoo group I posted below. Those members are fantastic and will give great advice. The first thing they'll tell you is about the cardiologist though.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCongestiveHeartF ailure/
[notify]
Fauna

Barked: Thu Aug 11, '11 11:55am PST 
Aw! You have a Pom too!!! Is this common in Pomeranian's? Was Maddy born with a murmur?
I am scheduled to see the cardiologist next Thursday. I am very nervous. I feel like she's so young (maybe almost 10 isn't that young but don't Pom's live long???) and she is my everything.
Fauna and I already discussed that she can never die. Not until I die. LOL
Jokes aside, So this Vetmedin, what would make your dog NOT a candidate?
And yup, the diuretic is Furosemide as you mentioned.
[notify]

Angel Maddy

Forever Loved.- 12/20/00-02/05/1- 2

Barked: Thu Aug 11, '11 3:40pm PST 
You know, I'm not really sure what makes them not a candidate for it. Your cardiologist will know though. My cardiologist and regular vet will communicate back and forth on occasion whenever we go through a bad spell and she needs to switch things up, mostly because the cardio is around 3 hours away so it's not the easiest place to get to.

The murmur was discovered on Maddy when she was 6 I think. It never went anywhere until about a year ago when she started to develop a slight cough, then collapsed when on vacation. That was the most horrific episode we've dealt with, coming in a close second was her acute renal failure episode this past January caused by taking Previcox for a back injury (avoid NSAIDS! especially dogs on meds that are rough on the kidneys like heart meds are). She's 10 now, turning 11 in December if we can make it there. The vet is pretty confident we can though, she's been doing remarkably well and responds to everything we do.
[notify]