GO!

Best Collars For Tiny Dogs?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tiny Rogi

Chewbacca

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 7:41pm PST 
Rogi's neck is super small (5-6"). Do any small dog owners out there have recommendations for the best collars for tiny pups?

Are even the thinnest leather ones going to be a heavy burden? Should I stick with lightweight materials?

Need some feedback from experienced owners please smile
[notify]
Paris

support the- rabid

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 8:16pm PST 
Well, Paris has a kitty collar on big grin My local mom&pop store has some very tiny collars that could fit my guinea pig! They had nylon and leather ones. They were very narrow width and the nylon collars were very light and pliable so they would probably be quite comfortable. I don't know which brands they were though. I've also seen people just keep a harness on and attach the tags to that. Lupine makes some great collars and harnesses and they are guaranteed for life which is awesome. If they get tattered or chewed, just send it back and they'll send you a new one.

Edited by author Thu Jul 28, '11 8:21pm PST

[notify]
Precious- (Pip Squeak)

Good things come- in small- packages

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 8:53pm PST 
For Precious and when Chi Chi (Sakura) was a puppy, we use/d kitty collars. I wouldn't really recommend them for walking if the dog is a puller, but they're okay for like... around the yard. And if it's one with a bell, it's amusing to watch the dog play. wink

They have tiny dog harnesses, too. They're so cute. You might want to consider them, as well. For walks, I mean. It's easier to slip out of a big collar than it is to slip out of a big harness (though possible for both, so precaution should STILL be taken regardless).
[notify]

Tiny Rogi

Chewbacca

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 11:11pm PST 
Thanks for the feedback!

Rogi already has a harness aviator jacket that he sometimes wears, and he also uses his Li'l Pups leash harness too for walks.

I'm just wondering if he will need to have a collar with id tag when we travel out of the country to Canada from the States. I wonder if immigration requires it. I'll have to look into that.

I've been looking at the Susan Lanci collars on gwlittle.com that were featured on the Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2 movie. *I tried watching that with Rogi and he passed out quickly party

I will look into kitty collars too.
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 4:32am PST 
We use a break away cat collar. It has a cute little bell and a place you could put a tag but if it gets caught somehow, the collar releases.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 7:49am PST 
I order Jewel's collars custom made on etsy.
[notify]
Bingley,- Emmett &- Martika

Little Ewoks

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 10:44am PST 
When Bingley was a puppy, I used... I think a Lil'Pals collar on him. He was about 3 or 4 lbs when he first came home, so we was pretty tiny, and that collar was just right for him. I used a Lil'Pals harness for walking, and the collar to hold a very tiny name tag on.
[notify]
Stormy Puppy- (Found a- home!)

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 10:53am PST 
I love these collars:
http://k9closet.com/smoothiecollectioncollars.htm

I use the "Kitty Smoothie tag collars" for some of my cats. You can embroidered a name and/or number on them and they are very soft and lightweight.
[notify]
Lilly

Barked: Mon Aug 1, '11 10:14am PST 
We had to use kitty/cat collars for our little ones too.
[notify]
Precious- (Pip Squeak)

Good things come- in small- packages

Barked: Mon Aug 1, '11 10:20am PST 
Hm, I'm not sure if they would. It seems like rabies tags would be required... and it's easier to keep them handy if they're on a collar that the dog is wearing. So, best to err on the side of caution.

I've never heard of or seen some of these collars. I'm going to have to look into them myself!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2