GO!

heat help!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Rocky

If you don't- claim it, it's- mine!

Barked: Thu Jul 21, '11 7:06pm PST 
I can't get rocky to stop panting for more than like half an hour. I bought him a cooling bandanna but it's confusing. It's heavy when full of water and doesn't stay cool for long and the water isn't evaporating. No exercising today at all at like 97 degree weather with 70 percent humidity. No AC in the house but two fans. I've been rotating between his four dog bowls. putting them in the freezer half full until it turns to ice and then pouring cold after on top and leaving out. he's had a bath today. two hose downs and has been put to lay down in about an inch or two of cool water in the tub at least 2 times. He officially hates the tub now! We went on a trip to the dog store for an hour today to just hang out in the AC but I really don't know what to do. I swear he's spent over 50% of the day panting. frown help?
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Thu Jul 21, '11 7:41pm PST 
I really don't know what else to offer besides a milk jusg filled with water and froze and wrapped in a blanket in his bed. Good luck
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Thu Jul 21, '11 7:57pm PST 
With high humidity-the evaporation type cooling products do not work.

I live in FL and I don't waste my money on them (we have high humidity regularly here). With too much moisture in the air, the moisture on the vest/bandana has no where to go. you can set a pan of ice in front of a floor fan, the air moving faster over it, t does force some cooling into the air.

I would get ice packs and put them between his blankets.
[notify]

Savvy

Savvy Savverson

Barked: Thu Jul 21, '11 7:59pm PST 
Put water in a bowl and transfee it feom you hand to his ears belly and neck, while the fan is blowing on him. Like sweating moisture on the body along with a cool breeze cools us down. His breed is sensitive to heat, is you ac just broke or what? Do you have any cool ceramic tile?
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Thu Jul 21, '11 8:28pm PST 
"is you ac just broke or what"

Savvy, have you not been watching the news? Or perhaps you live outside North America?

There is a huge heat wave here and many people in northern part of the US and Canada do not own air conditioners.

Even if the OP does have a broke air conditioner, it really isn't your business. That was not the point of the post.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Thu Jul 21, '11 8:30pm PST 
You can freeze a couple of 2 liter bottles of water and wrap them in a tea towel, then put them on his bed or in his crate... B&D are right - evaporative cooling doesn't work well in humid climates.
[notify]
Indiana- Jones

Car?! Did you- say car?!

Barked: Thu Jul 21, '11 9:03pm PST 
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong....Does the shorter nose on the Boston Terrier make it more difficult for them to tolerate hot weather?

The ice in front of a fan is a great idea. Keeping Rocky in front of it may not be easy if he's uncomfortable.

Stock up on ice. Buy it if you have to. It might be easier then trying to keep up with making it. Do you have any of those gel packs that you freeze for coolers? Try a small dog bed or similar with a towel and a layer of cold items then another layer he can rest on.

Good luck and I hope cooler weather comes your way real soon!
[notify]
Nakita Mae- Angel Girl

Live to dock- dive!

Barked: Thu Jul 21, '11 9:11pm PST 
Hi, I have had great success with placing a large bowl of ice water in front of the fans, the fan blows air over the water which sends out cooler air once it blows over the cold water. My dogs lay right in front of the bowls.
We also have a spray bottle filled with cool water which we spritz the dogs down, this keeps them comfortable.
We live in Washington, our summer has been exceptionally cooler than normal. Last year it was really hot so I tried the above suggestions which worked very well.
Oh, we also wet down kitchen towels and wrapped them around the dogs necks, this really helped cool them down.
We hope you find something that helps cool your pup down.
[notify]
Molly

Yes I do have to- wag with my- whole body

Barked: Thu Jul 21, '11 10:23pm PST 
Have you considered getting him a small doggy pool. One of the small dogs that I fostered used a baby bathtub as a pool. It was perfect for him although I did have to keep towels around it so water didn't splash. I would fill it with cool water and let him use it at his leisure. This is before I had AC installed. I live in Florida and a lot of older houses don't have it. It is worth a try and a wet dog tends to be a cooler dog. Also they make dog beds that can be filled with cool water for crates. These work if your dog is not a chewer. I don't recommend them for a dog that chews blankets and such. Just some thoughts. Remember to cool his belly too.
[notify]
Molly

Yes I do have to- wag with my- whole body

Barked: Thu Jul 21, '11 10:28pm PST 
Oh I almost forgot all of my dogs will lay in the bathroom in the bathtub on cool porcelain. No water in it of course but it can cool them down.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3