GO!

Itchy skin,biting her skin - waht is mange? Is this it?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Monkey

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '11 7:46am PST 
Haley's been biting her legs and belly alot the past two days - I gave her a bath and she still does it. I haven't changed her food at all. She also kicks her belly when shes standing up. I can't see anything specific on her skin. What is mange? I'm paranoid because I don't want my other dog to get sick. Any ideas?
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '11 8:10am PST 
Has Haley been out any place where other animals have been? There are a few types of mange and sarcoptic mange is contageous. You won't see anything with sarcoptic mange but relentless itching and then hairloss or other secondary problems from the itching. Even vets have a hard time seeing sarcoptic mange under a microscope upon doing a skin scrape or biopsy. The conventional treatment is very easy though. It is 2 doses over a month long of Revolution or Ivermectin. (collie breeds might not be able to get this treatment) The dog must not be re-exposed to bedding or furniture for 3 days because the mites can survive for that long off of a host.

You can check to make sure it's not fleas by combing and wiping the comb on white paper or tissue. If the paper turns rusty color it's probably fleas.

Oh, and don't let your other dog lay on anything your itchy dog has, until you figure out what it is. The mites aren't like fleas exactly because they don't jump from host to host, but if one is laying on or next to an infected dog or animal, then he'll probably get infected too. If your infected dog was laying or rolling in anything outside, that's probably how (if) he got this.

Edited by author Mon Jul 11, '11 8:13am PST

[notify]
Diesel

Horns beneath- his halo

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '11 11:07am PST 
Oh no. Haleys rolls all over the pavement constantly. And Diesel has been laying where she has laid. Any other signs I need to look for before I am sure its mange, besides the hair loss and biting? She has been pulling tuffs of hair out is that the same as hair loss? I will make an appt at the vet just in case though.
[notify]

Tigger

I'm- Tiggerriffffic!!- !!!

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '11 12:11pm PST 
it could be mange.

or it could be allergies. dogs can develop allergies just like us. doesn't always have to be about food. my missy had allergies that kicked in during late spring and summer. can't remember the name of the spray we used but it helped. tigger had horrible allergies this past spring. little guy looked like a drunk with those red eyes. vet gave us some ointment that cleared it up.

i always worry about mange myself when someone starts getting itchy and scratching a lot. in all my years only once has it ever been mange, that was way back in the 90's.

go to the vet, i bet it isn't something terrible.
[notify]
Adam

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '11 9:55pm PST 
Well other signs might be you get itchy. People can catch sarcoptic mange, but in people mange can't complete it's lifecycle so you may only be itchy for just days. The itching in dogs is very relentless, more than allergy itching. My vet didn't find any mites from the skin tests, so he tested for fungal infections and other problems, but when I got itchy too it just made sense for mites, and I had to convince the vet to just treat for mites. It worked almost immediately. I used a "natural" treatment. Well I tried 2. I tried homeopathy first which is sulphur most recommended that I read and maybe I was impatient but when it didn't help in a couple days I used white sulphur cream and immediately the itching was helped. You'll notice immediate help from revolution or ivermectin also (by 2 days) but it has to be repeated again in 2 weeks.

If you can have your choice, I'd choose Ivermectin. Because it doesn't stay in the dog's body or skin for as long as Revolution. I also suggest giving Milk thistle at the time you give either for a few days. Don't overworry. Actually if it is sarcoptic mange, that's alot better than allergies imho because the treatment works fast.

Edited by author Mon Jul 11, '11 10:00pm PST

[notify]
Pamela - - - Adopted!!!!

Slave to food!

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '11 10:46pm PST 
While we always suggest you see the Vet first...Some of these diagnosis are almost impossible for a Vet to make.

I have no experience with allergy itch, but will tell you what I know about Mange.

Sarcoptic mange is tricky....The insane itching is the primary symptom. The itch tends to be worse in the morning and evening, when the mites are active. Thin fur on the belly, and legs where it's itchy. If you look on her belly, in her "arm pits" you may spot what looks like pimples or bug bites. Sometimes you can see 3-4 little spots in a row, just a few milimeters apart.

You may only find a few. That's all it takes (ITCHY!!!). I caught mange mites from my foster dog Pamela, only on my left calf. My dogs were on Revolution and despite being close and sharing bedding, they didn't get it. blue dog

Sarcoptic mites are RARELY found in skin scrapings. ALMOST NEVER! Research the subject. IF you think she has mites, insist the Vet treat her for them.

Poor Pam had 3-4 skin scrapings with no result. Once I had them, it confirmed for the Vet it was Sarcoptic mites. It took Ivermectin shots to really clear her up, but we tried lesser remedies first.

Mange and other parasites should be ruled out before looking into allergies.

Good Luck!
[notify]
Monkey

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 8:18am PST 
I've been watching her carefully and she really focuses on her knees and what would be her wrists. Could this be a reaction to possible joint pain instead? Any suggestions for that?
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 8:26am PST 
Dog skin irritation is one of the most common ailments among the canine world.
Making sure the dog's skin and coat are in healthy condition is the primary means of prevention.
Even with good quality nutrition and grooming a dog can fall victim to these irritants.

6 Common Causes of Dog Skin Irritation

Allergies are a common cause of skin irritation.
Whether it's an external source like certain fibers around the house or internal sources like their food or an ingredient in the food, the canine body will often react with a dog skin rash causing the dog to scratch.
Food is also a common source of dermatitis in dogs.
While the dog may not be allergic to the food, they may still have an adverse reaction to it causing an eruption on the skin.
Environmental irritants can cause canine itching.
Chemicals used in gardening, perfumes, certain plants all can cause irritation to the dog's skin.
Neurosis are one of the most difficult skin irritants to diagnose. Dog's who have separation anxiety, are frustrated or are bored will often lick or chew themselves until the skin is raw.
Infections from fungus, bacteria or yeast can cause inflammation, itching and hair loss.
Parasites cause skin irritation because their bites create wounds that must heal.
Fleas, ticks and mange fall under the parasite category.
While maintaining healthy skin and coat are a good preventative to skin conditions, they can't always be stopped. Being aware of potential irritants can help prevent skin problems and keep the dog healthy and comfortable.
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 8:28am PST 
http://www.dog-health-guide.org/signsofdogmange.html
[notify]
Adam

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 10:05am PST 
Pamala gave a good answer I think she is the one who helped Adam when I didn't know about sarcoptic mange yet.

"I've been watching her carefully and she really focuses on her knees and what would be her wrists. Could this be a reaction to possible joint pain instead? Any suggestions for that?"

It's possible, but mange attacks the thin skinned joints too. On Adam, his mange was mainly his ears, stomach and legs. None seemed on his back and only a little on the tail. For my other dog when she caught it from Adam it was mainly under her "armpits" and groin, ribs, but no itching on her ears or tail. It took my other dog maybe 2 weeks to catch it. During that time the vet was still testing for fungal infections it took 4 weeks to grow the fungus. I wish I had just treated it for mange because Adam got ear hematoma from his scratching after 4 weeks. So if the itching is Very severe, to be frank I suggest treating it as mange right away before you deal with secondary infections or issues.

If it's joint pain do you notice any trouble moving can jump up on things still? Do the joints look swollen or hot to the touch?

Edited by author Tue Jul 12, '11 10:10am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3